Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

I've been obsessed of late with re-watching The Hot Rock, which Segal was in.  A somewhat underappreciated filmed in NY 70s movies. Sad to hear.  Same for Jessica and McMurtry.  Any fans out there of the latter's kid's music?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56585169
G. Gordon Liddy, aged 90 - another of those in the ranks I’d thought of as long-gone. Gosh! When I read now of some of his exploits, I really wonder what truly was going on in the deeper recesses of his mind?? (Eating a rat??)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/30/g-gordon-liddy-dead-90-watergate-nixon-talkshow-host

Liddy is the "Daddy G." in the Steely Dan song, "My Old School."

The BBC and Guardian pages are updating faster than I can read... I’m just in shock. Despite his advanced age and fragile health. 
Managing a State funeral of this importance while the UK & Europe are still so cautious about crowds, travel and open borders because of the pandemic will be so hard. (I know I’m stating the obvious)

ETA: I’ve just read in the Guardian that UK funerals are limited to 30people, so that’s a challenge; and that he had requested no lying in State and no State funeral, he didn’t like fuss. So no-one’s really sure what’s going to happen.

"The Duke of Edinburgh, who married the future queen in 1947, brought the monarchy into the 20th century, but his occasional tactless comments hurt his image."

NYT: Prince Philip, Husband of Queen Elizabeth II, Is Dead at 99

"Tactless" seems like a gross understatement.

Listening to the CBC this morning, this was literally the only story in the hourly news.  Canadians tend to be ambivalent about the monarchy, I will be interested to see how this plays out here.

Klinker said:

Listening to the CBC this morning, this was literally the only story in the hourly news.  

BBC World News did the same here. I usually listen to it on WNYC from 9-10 if I'm in the car (which I was today). 

mrincredible said:

Klinker said:

Listening to the CBC this morning, this was literally the only story in the hourly news.  

BBC World News did the same here. I usually listen to it on WNYC from 9-10 if I'm in the car (which I was today). 

I don't understand the obsession with the monarchy in England and more specifically with Prince Philip's death. By most accounts, he didn't accomplish much with his position of power within the monarchy.

Well, yeah.

RIP DMX.

His position is set up to be literally power-less. He’s not allowed to ‘accomplish’ anything. Has to ask his wife for permission to do anything/everything; his children don’t even carry his family name.  And he knew this would be the case, going in. So the many Naval patronages, youth work/Duke of Edinburgh awards, sports clubs etc around the world is actually quite huge. 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-09/prince-philip-the-duke-of-edinburgh-dies-obituary/11866000  The Man Who Wouldn’t Be King

yahooyahoo said:

I don't understand the obsession with the monarchy in England and more specifically with Prince Philip's death. By most accounts, he didn't accomplish much with his position of power within the monarchy.

ETA: I’m not sure sure about Canada, but in Australia’s case, Elizabeth is actually Queen of Australia. (Separate from her UK duties) So this is a direct blow for us, rather than an obesession.

Royal family --- the lot of 'em.  

One great soap opera.

My favorite was the photo of Fergie, by the side of a pool, getting her toe sucke --- wait. Scratch that.

My favorite was when Charles had his cell phone hacked. He told Camila, if he could be reincarnated, he would like to come back as her tampon. Now, that is more romantic than anything Elizabeth Barrett Browning or Shakespeare ever wrote.

It was so good, Saturday Night Live did a skit on it with human heads coming out of a tampon. Really.

Politics and gossip belong in other threads. 

joanne said:

ETA: I’m not sure sure about Canada, but in Australia’s case, Elizabeth is actually Queen of Australia. (Separate from her UK duties) So this is a direct blow for us, rather than an obesession.

The Queen is the Queen of Canada as well. There was some idle chatter when Prince Harry was living in BC about making him the King of Canada but then he did the Canadian thing and moved to LA.

Thank you for that info. Not every former colony or Commonwealth member has chosen to take this step; the monarch’s position is written into our federal Constitution. 
In terms of innovations that Prince Philip introduced, this was on our ABC’s site:

« The Prince made a number of efforts to modernise the monarchy. He introduced computers into Buckingham Palace, he was the first to do a TV interview and he had an electric car in 1982.

Dr Jane Connors, a historian of Royal tours in Australia joined the Weekend Breakfast team to reflect on that lasting impact.

"He made his mark first, as people know, with the televising of the coronation," Dr Connors said.

"The Prime Minister was appalled at the idea that every Tom Dick or Harry could turn their TV on in Britain in 1953 and see the Queen being crowned in this ceremony.

"It was Philip who said 'this has got to be made public, we have got to be more modern,' so he was fairly consistent in that.

"He was interested in science and technology and a very capable man in terms of technology and using it. He could fly a plane for example."

So, taking his lead from Prince Albert and then moving past. His patronage of the arts, despite his sometimes too-informal humour, has deeply touched artists, and performers, creators and all involved. People met casually while walking on Royal tours have been commenting on his quick wit with children, as well as serving military, veterans, injured etc. I’m not convinced Australia should remain a monarchy, but reading these tributes I’m touched by the impact his ultimately quiet life had.

Of course, all of that positive stuff is balanced by some really negative stories as well.  

For me, I am would say that I am sorry for the Queen's loss and leave it at that.  The whitewashing of public figures just because they had the audacity to die makes me uncomfortable.

Apparently Philip died at 9am on April 9, which is the 99th day of the year, at the age of 99.  

dave said:

Apparently Philip died at 9am on April 9, which is the 99th day of the year, at the age of 99.  

I'm on my way to AC.  --- roulette table. Putting a black chip on 99.

James Hampton, who played the inept bugler Hannibal Dobbs on "F Troop" passed away. He played other parts, too, but that's what I remember him for. My cousin met Larry Storch a few times, so I have some signed photos from the show, but none with James Hampton.

It’s interesting that on local news, the death of DMX was the lead story while Prince Phillip came in third place. Fitting, I imagine. BTW, wasn’t Albert in the same boat when he married Victoria? Not sure, but he seems to have had a much more lasting and progressive impact on history than Phillip, who reads as somebody who fell into some good luck snd just went with the flow for several decades.

dave said:

And the Queen dialed 999 when Philip could not get out of bed. 

cody said:

James Hampton, who played the inept bugler Hannibal Dobbs on "F Troop" passed away. He played other parts, too, but that's what I remember him for. My cousin met Larry Storch a few times, so I have some signed photos from the show, but none with James Hampton.

didn't Hampton also play the dad in "Teen Wolf"?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.