Anybody bought a mattress lately?

Ordered a mattress from Sears. They confirmed day before delivery date, then subsequently changed the date anyway. Now they've just changed the date a second time. Third time is the charm, I hope. Grrrrr....

This is a good line of questioning because this is the unknown on these cheap mattresses. We just got ours last month and it’s for a 2nd home so it won’t be slept on much. And we’ll have renters maybe 60 days a year so I certainly wasn’t going to buy anything great.

gerryl said:

For those of you who have mattresses from the internet, how long have you had them?

Had friend buy one of those rolled up mattresses from Costco.  She said it lasted 3 years. Cost $800

I'll be thrilled if I get 3 years out of mine for the $300 price tag 

How's everyone doing on their new mattress?  Unicorn?

Me, still "researching"

I just ordered the better Leesa mattress.  I like the three month free returns.  I went to mattress firm and then read as much as I could online and realized I just didn't have the haggling in me this time.  We also need a mattress that can go around a turning staircase to reach the third floor, so a conventional one was out.

Words cannot describe how much I adore my bed.    Its been three months and the thing is a beacon of respite and joy.  oh oh

I have been reading about a product called Casper. Getting great reviews.

conandrob, you can try the casper out at Short Hills Mall.  I went, but am on the fence.

boomie, what you get again?  I'm needin some joy.

I have a Casper. Delivery and customer service are top notch, the mattress is horrible. Unfortunately it took me longer than the 90 nights to realize how much I hate it. It will be banished to the second guest room soon. 

I saw them at the Short Hills mall. Husband bought the pillow and loves it. Beds and pillows getting rave reviews. Disappointed to hear that you can’t get a refund- I hate this whole mattress thing. 

conandrob240 said:

I saw them at the Short Hills mall. Husband bought the pillow and loves it. Beds and pillows getting rave reviews. Disappointed to hear that you can’t get a refund- I hate this whole mattress thing. 

It was really my unwillingness to give up on it. They did everything they could. Even sent me a topper to see if that would make me more comfortable. To be honest the customer service made me want to like it to the point where I talked myself into thinking it was ok. We are moving up to the Simmons Beautyrest Black. Its the mattress used in the London Times Square. Best nights of sleep I have ever gotten have been on that mattress. I should have gone with it from the beginning. We used to have a very inexpensive King Koil that was awesome. We got rid of it when my wife did the bedroom over. Big Mistake! That mattress was great even at 10 years old. Sadly I have heard the quality has gone down hill since we had ours.  

Just found this web site, where you can buy Simmons mattresses used in different hotels. I found it because I had an excellent night's sleep at a La Quinta in Texarkana (of all places) and thought I'd see what they use.

https://www.guestpurchase.com/

Bummer, Ggartrell.  Feel for you.

We ended up buying a Stearns & Foster at Sears. Our challenge was that my wife wanted a firmer mattress than I did. I figured I'd try to accommodate her, but it hasn't worked out very well for me. We did add a topper (is that what it's called?) to build in a bit more softness, but I still wake up every morning with pain in the area of my neck/shoulder blades. (She's fine with the mattress.) Sears allows you to exchange or return the mattress between day 30 and day 60 (at a charge, of course). We're at day 32 now. So now I'm trying to decide whether to (1) just live with it, (2) exchange it for a softer mattress, or (3) return it and buy a sleep number bed.

krugle said:

How's everyone doing on their new mattress?  Unicorn?

Me, still "researching"

Unicorn, Oh dear.  You have a problem.  I say, don't live with it.  You 10 yrs on that thing.

I just bought a Stearns & Foster plush mattress, the same one I slept on in a Ritz recently and on sale at Macy’s, and am in sleep heaven. The problem is I don’t want to get up in the morning.

mem, I just bought a S&F Luxury firm and hate it.  It's too hard.

can you tell me, is it really soft, or just a bit?

S&F makes a range of mattresses. I bought one that proved too hard, exchanged it for softer one. New one seems fine.

Kruger, they do make some very firm ones, but I like soft, so I asked for the softest one they had on the floor. It has both memory foam and gel lining.

Note that I didn’t pay remotely close to full price.

https://m.macys.com/shop/product/stearns-foster-estate-palace-14.5-luxury-plush-mattress-sets?ID=2823319&CategoryID=25946

This is one of the difficult things in our industry. There is no standard range of firmness beyond the terms we use to describe the particular mattresses that we sell. For example, a firm S&F could be vastly different from a Macy's firm, which is different from a Shovlin firm. We all say they are "firm," but that is in relation to our own line of bedding. Macy's firm is certainly firmer than its soft or ultra plush. Shovlin's soft is softer than its firm. But again, comparatively speaking, my firm versus Macy's firm are two different things. This is why it's always beneficial to go to a showroom to try out mattresses as opposed to ordering online from a place with a return policy. Why not get it right the first time instead of the run around of returning for a firmer/softer model and possibly being without a bed (or a highly uncomfortable one) for a few days.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.