Anybody bought a mattress lately?

Wait, so did you cancel the Macy's order?  I thought you ordered from macys but I remember the delivery was kind of messed up.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So, I've been sleeping on my new Beautyrest pillowtop for over a week. I have another 30 days or so to decide to keep it or not. It's worlds better than my 25 year-old Ikea POS but it may not be firm enough for me. I have absolutely been sleeping better (and the pillow helps, too, for sure). Stay tuned. 

BTW, I bought it from Raymour and Flannigan and they were efficient to say the least and very prompt, polite and helpful. 

I thought Macys also? If Macys, they will say there's a return fee or pick up fee but if you ask for a supervisor and say you've had back pain or some other complaint,they'll waive it.

So, we visited a Sleep Number store today, and I have to say we were impressed by the product. Fiddling around with the numbers, my spouse was pleased with a 45 setting, while I preferred 30. Interesting.

Question: I know one can aggressively negotiate price in a "regular" mattress store, but what about a Sleep Number store? The salesperson, who seemed very pleasant, said there was an ongoing sale until 9/30. But I'm wondering whether there is additional flexibility. If not on price, might they throw in something for free--e.g., pillow, extra remote, etc.?

Thanks for your advice.

BrickPig said:

unicorn33 said:

Sigh. I'm re-reading this thread again. My spouse and I are having a problem agreeing on desired firmness, so we've been unable to reach a final decision. I'm now reviewing what was said about the sleep number beds, which I know nothing about. 

Someone mentioned that there is a hard ridge between the two sides. If that's the case, wouldn't that make it impossible for two people ever to sleep in spoon position?

What you're calling a "hard ridge" is a piece of foam that runs the length of the bed between the two air chambers. It is noticeable, certainly, but just exactly how noticeable depends somewhat on the firmness of the chambers to either side. The only way you're going to know if it makes it "impossible" to sleep in any given position is to go try it out in one of their stores. Each of you find a firmness level you like, then meet in the middle and see how it goes.

(FWIW, it has never been an issue for my wife and I.)

Over the years we have referred several people to Select Comfort. As far as I know, none of them got any sort of deal other than whatever sale might have been going on at the time they bought. Nor did we. On the other hand, we didn’t attempt to haggle, and I don’t know if any of our friends did, either. (It wouldn’t have occurred to me.)

Well, I guess it can't hurt to try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

They had some pretty cool pillows, too. Definitely leaning in their direction.

Were all the people you referred in the past happy with their purchases?

BrickPig said:

Over the years we have referred several people to Select Comfort. As far as I know, none of them got any sort of deal other than whatever sale might have been going on at the time they bought. Nor did we. On the other hand, we didn’t attempt to haggle, and I don’t know if any of our friends did, either. (It wouldn’t have occurred to me.)

I believe we have referred 5 people. Four of those bought. One of those bought their bed shortly before we moved from PA to NJ, and we never got a review from them. The three others have all said they love the beds.

unicorn33 said:

Well, I guess it can't hurt to try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

They had some pretty cool pillows, too. Definitely leaning in their direction.

Were all the people you referred in the past happy with their purchases?
BrickPig said:

shh said:

Wait, so did you cancel the Macy's order?  I thought you ordered from macys but I remember the delivery was kind of messed up.
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

So, I've been sleeping on my new Beautyrest pillowtop for over a week. I have another 30 days or so to decide to keep it or not. It's worlds better than my 25 year-old Ikea POS but it may not be firm enough for me. I have absolutely been sleeping better (and the pillow helps, too, for sure). Stay tuned. 

BTW, I bought it from Raymour and Flannigan and they were efficient to say the least and very prompt, polite and helpful. 

Macy's screwed up the delivery schedule and I cancelled the order. I then looked for the same mattress elsewhere and R&F had it and the same price. They delivered it the next day. 

As for return policy I think I have 30 days to return it at not cost and get any mattress in it's place as long as I keep their plastic cover on the thing for the 30 days. 

Mattress firm is a 3 month trial for return.

Their return charge is something like $180, right?

(Side note: Why in the world did they change their name from Sleepy's?? "Mattress Firm" is an awful name. Sounds like a bad foreign translation.)

boomie said:

totally agree. Mattress Firm is an awful name and a weird brand change. You're going to pay a few hundred $ to return to Mattress Firm

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

shh said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Macy's screwed up the delivery schedule and I cancelled the order. I then looked for the same mattress elsewhere and R&F had it and the same price. They delivered it the next day. 

As for return policy I think I have 30 days to return it at not cost and get any mattress in it's place as long as I keep their plastic cover on the thing for the 30 days. 

Edited to add: I paid R&F an extra fee for the honor of a free exchange at a late date.  

Its not a few hundred, its 175 and they also waive for back pain or whatever, like conandrob mentioned.  I could not have been happier with them.    

Do they simply take your word for it (i.e., back pain)?  And will they give a cash refund as opposed to store credit?

boomie said:

Its not a few hundred, its 175 and they also waive for back pain or whatever, like conandrob mentioned.  I could not have been happier with them.    

at Macys they did. Just explained it was causing back pain and the entire amount including delivery was refunded with no fees or restocking charges. Many places say "returnable" but only give a store credit and they subtract a delivery and/or charge a re-stocking fee

Turns out that with Raymour & Flaningan you can't invoke your right to exchange for something else, even though i paid for the privilege in < 30 days. You have to keep it for 30 days and THEN call them. I guess they expect you can get used to anything in 30 days.

About 7 years ago, I returned a mattress to Sleepy's, and they hit me with a $200 return fee. Wish I'd known I could have claim back problems.

Meanwhile, I'm still debating. I found three comprehensive mattress-information sites online, which only served to confuse me further with an overload of information. And one of my kids is suggesting I purchase from one of the online sellers. Buying a freakin' mattress shouldn't be such a project!!  question 

unicorn33 said:

About 7 years ago, I returned a mattress to Sleepy's, and they hit me with a $200 return fee. Wish I'd known I could have claim back problems.

Meanwhile, I'm still debating. I found three comprehensive mattress-information sites online, which only served to confuse me further with an overload of information. And one of my kids is suggesting I purchase from one of the online sellers. Buying a freakin' mattress shouldn't be such a project!!  question 

Yeah, I went through the information overload phase, too. The thing I realized is that there is no single right answer. There are many mattresses that will work for you, you just need to find ONE. I had to stop putting pressure on myself to find that ONE PERFECT MATTRESS! I found the Consumer Reports evaluation very credible and very helpful. And not very complicated. 

Let budget, construction features and firmness drive you. 

To be clear, I mentioned waking up with lower back pain and all fees were waived at MACYS. Not sure that'll work at Mattress Firm or R&F. I'm guessing it might not.

I know nothing about this mattress, just came across the add today and was laughing out loud. It's the funniest promo I've ever seen for a mattress. https://onpurple.com/mattress

The science behind it seems intriguing, too. But then, I have a thing for traditional mattresses.

It's a funny ad -- also quite clever in terms of content. Never heard of the product either.

earlster said:

I know nothing about this mattress, just came across the add today and was laughing out loud. It's the funniest promo I've ever seen for a mattress. https://onpurple.com/mattress

The science behind it seems intriguing, too. But then, I have a thing for traditional mattresses.

@krugle - how did you make out?

krugle said:

unicorn, my problem, exactly.  Would you mind telling me which ones you picked?  I might just follow you blindly, if you don't mind?

The War To Sell You A Mattress Is An Internet Nightmare (link)

Why did Casper sue a mattress blogger? A closer look reveals a secret, multimillion-dollar battle to get you into bed.

Mr T that was a really depressing article. I am not at all surprised. Still don't know how to select a decent mattress.

unicorn33 said:

Their return charge is something like $180, right?

(Side note: Why in the world did they change their name from Sleepy's?? "Mattress Firm" is an awful name. Sounds like a bad foreign translation.)
boomie said:

They did not "change their name". Mattress Firm was an existing chain (very large nationwide but not in our area) that bought out the Sleepy's chain to move into the north east.

we ordered a 2nd mattress for our new condo through Wayfair. Hybrid mattress. We bought one 12” medium and another brand 14” firm. Queen was just under $300/ king was $389. They come rolled up - I was skeptical. I had better sleeps on each of them than on my expensive mattress at home. 

I’ll add that I furnished an entire 1,000 sq ft condo with Wayfair on a very tight budget and almost every item was decent quality and looks great.

Just bought my son this mattress on Overstock.com and it's the most comfortable mattress I've ever been on:  https://goo.gl/r9fcRH

It arrived rolled-up in a box--left it out for a day to reconfigure.  It's a coiled mattress with memory foam on top.  VERY affordable.  See the reviews on the site.

yes! Same concept as the ones we bought from Wayfair. So comfortable!

I bought one like that for my daughter from Amazon.   

For those of you who have mattresses from the internet, how long have you had them?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.