All Things Running-Related

Yes, I agree. You can cross South Orange Ave without too much trouble though. I actually did 9 miles up there the other weekend, with the Newstead 5k in the middle. I ran down Glenview, crossed South Orange Ave to run part of the loop near the Dog Park, came back and did the Newstead 5k (you can find the route online) and then finished with another 1.5 miles just on the streets around there. You could do this in a more logical fashion, I just got a little tripped up with the race timing oh oh

There are certainly lots of places to get a 10 miler in without putting your life at risk on the S-curves!

Thanks all. This is what I thought, I just wondered whether I was being too dramatic! I'll figure out another route. Thats the thing with running around these parts, there is no shortage of different routes to be discovered.

An easy 10 miler - Wyoming Avenue! Start at Millburn Avenue and run all the way to Mount Pleasant and back. It's basically 10 miles. Most of it has sidewalks.

Does someone know is brookside will still be closed tomorrow morning?

Unless things have changed, Brookside Drive gets closed off to vehicle traffic (other than park ranger/sheriff folks) from 5 AM until noon on Sundays. Or do I have that wrong?

bikefixed said:
Unless things have changed, Brookside Drive gets closed off to vehicle traffic (other than park ranger/sheriff folks) from 5 AM until noon on Sundays. Or do I have that wrong?

That was right last time I ran it, though that was a few months ago

I just ran a 5K in Cape Cod - the Wellfleet Oysterfest "Shuck and Run". Oh man.... not running for a few weeks really screwed me up! Gotta get back at it! My project is done (finally!). Any 1/2's on the horizon?

Maybe NYC Half in January?

I'm tempted to look at the one in March but I just don't want to commit to the winter training. Last winter was so awful, but doing more than 4-5 miles on a treadmill would be awful

Running friends, I need advice.

I'm 2 weeks out from my half marathon. My wonky foot is still a little wonky, and this week I noticed a bit of dreaded heel pain, today in particular. I've had 3 reflexology appointments which have been great, but nearly every spot she touches in tender, most notably on the sides of my heel. She said she does not diagnose but wouldn't be surprised if I'm headed toward plantar fasciitis.

Today was my last planned long run. I did 12.5 last week and was going to do 13.5 today, but between nagging heel discomfort and just overall sluggishness, I cut it to 11. Originally I had been planning to do two 3 mile runs this week, 6-8 over the weekend (1 week from race day), and then just one shorter run.

So I guess my question is...what do I do?? If I am in early stages of PF I want to be careful, but I also don't want to negate the training I've been putting in for the last 10 weeks. Do I rest it? Scale back? Elliptical instead? I'm definitely doing the race and then I'll take some rest time and find a new podiatrist, but for now I just want to get to the starting (and finish) line.

As a runner, I would say, if you can run through the pain, at this point - just do it. I ran on the PF for over a year before I got treatment and then continued to train for a marathon with the help of the Physical Therapist (afterwards took 2 weeks off at his request). PF is managable but can take a long time to "manage". Kinesio tape would probably help a lot - you would need to see someone who know how to apply it so that you can learn. Take a look at the expo at the race and see if any practitoners are offering it.

Then, after the race, time to see a PT about it.

As for training, for the most part - the hay is in the barn at this point. You did 12.5 - you know you can get to 13. If you back off this week instead of next - It probably won't hurt you too much - you might need to adjust your expectations at the race a little. It's a Disney race- you want to have fun and just enjoy it.

As someone who has BTDT, the problem with running through PF (especially if you add mileage/speed) is the PF can get worse, even to the point of debilitation. If I were you, with 12.5 under my belt and the half less than 2 weeks away I'd switch to elliptical to keep up my cardio or, if you absolutely must run, then slow down and reduce your mileage considerably. Better to be a little slower on race day (and the Disney races are absolutely not about speed anyway) than keep training as you were and risk not being able to participate in the run.

Also, if any of you (or anyone you know) will be in WDW on November 7 and wants to run the Wine & Dine Half, I have a bib I won't be using :-(

Thanks so much for the advice!! Disney Wine & Dine is what we're running. That really stinks that you can't use your bib LOL

I'm totally not worried about speed (not a big thing for me anyway!!) I just want to make sure I can get through it, endurance-wise. This is only my second half so I'm not at the point where I'm totally confident in my ability to run 13.1.

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Just make sure you have fun!

Tarheels - I hear the weather isn't so good for the wine and dine Half. I hope they figure out what to do. I heard they might turn it into a 10 miler. Whatever happens - I hope you are having fun.

Leealli said:
Tarheels - I hear the weather isn't so good for the wine and dine Half. I hope they figure out what to do. I heard they might turn it into a 10 miler. Whatever happens - I hope you are having fun.

It in fact turned into a 7.1 miler =(   They chopped off Animal Kingdom completely so we lost 6 miles. That was honestly a HUGE bummer. The part we got to run was fun but it definitely sucks we didn't get the full experience. And we waited around a looooong time - didn't cross the start until midnight, so about an hour and a half later than planned. So actually, running the full 13.1 at that point would have been tough too!

That said, my girlfriends and I agreed we wouldn't have planned the trip for just a 10k so at least it motivated us to go and have a terrific overall experience - we just got home last night so it was a great long weekend.

I am really bummed about potentially "wasting" this training cycle though. I'm looking for another close-by half so I can keep going while I'm mostly trained. I'm thinking about Frozen Bonsai on December 13th, if I can find the motivation to train for another 4 weeks (ugh!!). It doesn't seem like there's a good closer option, unfortunately... Philly is sold out.

Congrats to the Columbia H.S. varsity boys cross county team who qualified for, and are headed to, the New Jersey State Group IV Championship this weekend in Holmdel.  Keep running boys. 

TarheelsinNJ; It sounds like it was all quite an adventure!   Sorry you didn't get the whole experience.   I'm not sure I could run so late!    This is certainly racing season - or just about to be the end of it - lots of races to chose from but yes, most will be full at this point.    I think the one in December would be a good one.  Ramp up again - get in a 13 miler, or close to it in the next few weeks- then you can REALLY enjoy the holidays!  

Anyone else get into the NYC half today? I thought I read good things about it here last year.

istudymemory said:

Anyone else get into the NYC half today? I thought I read good things about it here last year.

Did you get in?? Woohoo!!!!!!

I did the NYC Half many years ago when it was held during the summer.  Let's just say I'm not a big fan of the course or the race overall.

TarheelsInNj said:
istudymemory said:

Did you get in?? Woohoo!!!!!!

Yes. Guess my hibernating this winter is off the table. 

Yahoo,  I will try to keep my expectations low. 

Good for you!! It will be awesome!!

Speaking of entries... the lottery for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in DC is open through tomorrow! It's a great race. http://www.cherryblossom.org/

I'm getting back into more serious running after about 2 years break to have a baby.  I've registered for a 1/2 marathon in June to get myself to commit to getting back into and no more excuses.  I need to get new shoes and wasn't all that happy with my last couple shoes.  I was hoping to get some input at a good running shoe store.  Any suggestions and what was their process?  

Sneaker Factory is great. They really listen and have helped me navigate a bunch of issues. Welcome back and happy training! 

istudymemory said:

Sneaker Factory is great. They really listen and have helped me navigate a bunch of issues. Welcome back and happy training! 

Second all of this!

TarheelsInNj said:
istudymemory said:

Second all of this!

Ditto! Love Sneaker Factory.

I was all signed up and ready for th Frozen Bansai Half tomorrow, but a medical issue is preventing my participation. Sigh. A disappointing end to a rather frustrating fall running season for me, at least as far as half marathons are concerned! Though I'm pleased with my training overall and with the races of various lengths that I did get to run. 

So, moving on to the spring! What are some of your very favorite races? I'm hoping for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler and planning on the Brooklyn Half, but I need to fill in the calendar with some more fun ones, especially 10s and under. 

Thinking about heading out for a run tomorrow, but am concerned about running around Maplewood given the snow banks and likelihood of some sidewalks not having been cleared. Any thoughts on somewhere safe? 

I imagine clearing the loop in the reservation is way down the list of priorities so it is still snow covered? Does anyone know if it will eventually be cleared? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!