DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

nan said: 

A $1,000 emergency would push many Americans into debt

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/most-americans-dont-have-the-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

Those Bankrate surveys are almost always reported as what people can or can’t do, but the questions are about what people would or wouldn’t do. 

If faced with an unexpected $1,000, would you use savings? Or would you put it on a credit card and pay it off over time? Or spend less in other ways to make up for it? 

In that survey, 19% said they’d borrow from family, friends or a bank.

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said: 

A $1,000 emergency would push many Americans into debt

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/most-americans-dont-have-the-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

Those Bankrate surveys are almost always reported as what people can or can’t do, but the questions are about what people would or wouldn’t do. 

If faced with an unexpected $1,000, would you use savings? Or would you put it on a credit card and pay it off over time? Or spend less in other ways to make up for it? 

In that survey, 19% said they’d borrow from family, friends or a bank.

Yeah, but isn't the point (that ever elusive point) that people's financial positions are so precarious that they don't have 1k cash on hand? And that that indicates kind of a serious problem? Doesn't matter how they decide to handle it.

drummerboy said:

Yeah, but isn't the point (that ever elusive point) that people's financial positions are so precarious that they don't have 1k cash on hand? And that that indicates kind of a serious problem? Doesn't matter how they decide to handle it.

How do you know that someone who says he or she would put an emergency $1,000 on a credit card, scrimp elsewhere or choose some “other” option doesn’t have $1,000 in savings?

Maybe none of them. Maybe some. Maybe this survey doesn’t really give us a clue to the depths of the problem.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

How do you know that someone who says he or she would put an emergency $1,000 on a credit card, scrimp elsewhere or choose some “other” option doesn’t have $1,000 in savings?

Maybe none of them. Maybe some. Maybe this survey doesn’t really give us a clue to the depths of the problem.

From the article's headline:

Just 40 percent of Americans could pay an unexpected $1,000 expense,
such as an emergency room visit or car repair, with their savings,
according to a survey from Bankrate.

I don't know how you read that, but I read it as saying that 40% of people don't have 1K in savings, because of the phrase "could pay". It's not "would pay", it's "could pay".

Is there another way to read it?

I mean I don't know if it's accurate or not, but that's what it says.

drummerboy said:

I mean I don't know if it's accurate or not, but that's what it says.

As I wrote earlier, the Bankrate survey asks things one way (“If you had a $1,000 bill for something such as an emergency room visit or car repair, would you ...?”), and articles about it usually report it a different way.

mrincredible said:

I hope Gabbard is not setting the stage to run as a third party candidate. That would really hobble the Democrat nominee in the general.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/29/politics/tulsi-gabbard-2020-race-cnntv/index.html

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Any Sanders or Gabbard supporters who take a break from MOL threads where they’re constantly getting heat can’t be sincere in their beliefs.

I figured paul and nan are a little more scarce these days because it's becoming more difficult coming up with explanations of how the Trump/Ukraine story is a lot of nothing.  The "no quid pro quo" got taken off the table yesterday.  It's got to be hard defending Trump when he and his minions themselves come out the next day and shoot holes in your arguments.

Flattered that you care enough about us to keep tabs on our participation.

Does the new quid-pro-quo iteration have anything to do with Trump's opponent in 2020?

nan said:

So, I've been reading/watching about this Hillary calling Tulsi and Jill Stein Russian assets and, frankly, I'm still shocked that she could say something so delusional and confrontational in public. Is she getting like Joe Biden?  She kind of sounds like Trump with statements like that.  

It's so bad, that I can even post a rebuttal from CNN!!!!!!!!   That's rare, and this is bizarre. 

CNN’s Van Jones Blasts Hillary Clinton: She’s Playing a ‘Very Dangerous Game’ Going After Tulsi Gabbard

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-van-jones-blasts-hillary-clinton-shes-playing-a-very-dangerous-game-going-after-tulsi-gabbard/

Everything Hillary said about Tulsi was a lie. Hillary is taking a beating for this filth.

nan said:

Smedley said:

65% of adults say the economy is working for them personally. Page 11. 

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_1907190926.pdf

So yes, I’m one of the few, the lucky, the 65%. 

Yeah, no. That's not an accurate poll. 

You conducted your own empirical research and reached a different conclusion?

Great. Please present. I can’t wait to see it.

drummerboy said:

You think the Marist poll is inaccurate because another poll has data that you think doesn't reconcile?

That's so cute.

I did not even look at the poll.  I'm not buying it. I look around me and with my eyes, I know it is CRAP to say that most people are happy with the economy.  Most people are miserable and struggling and many are working more than one job. Many people are terrified of healthcare costs. 

We can get Dave Schmidt on here to pick apart what I'm saying, but can we all agree that any Democratic candidate that runs on the idea that the economy is doing great for most Americans is going to lose?  I don't see any of them claiming that, even the centrists.  Smedley thinks everyone is like they are and that's just not as common as they think. 

drummerboy said:

Van Jones is an ***. Let's get that straight right away.

I'm not a fan.  But, I give him credit for speaking out on this.  Everyone should because Hillary Clinton is the biggest a** of all in this mess. 

paulsurovell said:

ml1 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Any Sanders or Gabbard supporters who take a break from MOL threads where they’re constantly getting heat can’t be sincere in their beliefs.

I figured paul and nan are a little more scarce these days because it's becoming more difficult coming up with explanations of how the Trump/Ukraine story is a lot of nothing.  The "no quid pro quo" got taken off the table yesterday.  It's got to be hard defending Trump when he and his minions themselves come out the next day and shoot holes in your arguments.

Flattered that you care enough about us to keep tabs on our participation.

Does the new quid-pro-quo iteration have anything to do with Trump's opponent in 2020?

I was trying to clean my house and working late at my job.  I have not even read about the "no quid pro quo" got taken off the table"  yet. I have a lot of catching up to do.  I never said Trump was innocent of quid pro quo (love that phrase). I said Trump did six impeachable offenses every day before breakfast.  I  thought Ukraine was not a smart place for the Democrats to put their eggs in the basket, especially for Joe Biden. How's Joe doing?  I saw Hunter went on some MSM interview and did not help.  

paulsurovell said:

nan said:

So, I've been reading/watching about this Hillary calling Tulsi and Jill Stein Russian assets and, frankly, I'm still shocked that she could say something so delusional and confrontational in public. Is she getting like Joe Biden?  She kind of sounds like Trump with statements like that.  

It's so bad, that I can even post a rebuttal from CNN!!!!!!!!   That's rare, and this is bizarre. 

CNN’s Van Jones Blasts Hillary Clinton: She’s Playing a ‘Very Dangerous Game’ Going After Tulsi Gabbard

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-van-jones-blasts-hillary-clinton-shes-playing-a-very-dangerous-game-going-after-tulsi-gabbard/

Everything Hillary said about Tulsi was a lie. Hillary is taking a beating for this filth.

Hillary is not running. Trump also constantly gets confused about that. Maybe a good thing, all energy that goes into smearing Hillary cannot be spent on smearing any of our other candidates.

basil said:

Hillary is not running. Trump also constantly gets confused about that. Maybe a good thing, all energy that goes into smearing Hillary cannot be spent on smearing any of our other candidates.

Yes, Hillary is not running.  But, like a typical narcissist, she is trying to make the 2020 election all about her.  

Why is Tulsi Gabbard still in this race?   It's not because she is a viable candidate.   

Two words: Vladimir Putin.

Thank you Hillary for finally exposing Tulsi.

OK, we have some seriously off-the-rails MOL posters.  Even CNN reporters are moving away from this nonsense.  Even Erin Burnett, corporate shill, raised her eyebrows. This is not going to end well for any of you. 

nan said:

drummerboy said:

You think the Marist poll is inaccurate because another poll has data that you think doesn't reconcile?

That's so cute.

Most people are miserable and struggling 

Geez. Where exactly are you are seeing this? in SoMa? Things aren’t perfect of course but this is far from the reality I see. 

I’m by no means on Easy St. and raising my $18 cocktail glass at the Cassidy or Fox/Falcon every night. I live modestly. But my job is ok enough , investments have done ok over the years and I have a reasonable sense of a reasonably secure financial future. So the system is working reasonably enough for me, and I have at least some expectation that it will continue to do so. 

And my sense, at least anecdotally, is that other people — friends and family, colleagues, neighbors, fellow commuters, people I see on the streets of soma, etc — for the most part, are also doing reasonably ok by the system. 

The only explanation I can think of for the observation that “most people are miserable and struggling” is that you did hard drugs back in the day and you are flashing back 40 years to 1979 or something.

LOL.  Nan talking about off-the-rails MOL posters.

nan said:

OK, we have some seriously off-the-rails MOL posters.  Even CNN reporters are moving away from this nonsense.  Even Erin Burnett, corporate shill, raised her eyebrows. This is not going to end well for any of you. 

If that's the case, how do you think it will end for YOU?  Comments like this make me think of   the story of the four children told during the Passover Seder - particularly the wicked child.

I just want to say that cattle disease is my favorite plague.

Carry on.

Russia 2.0
=======

Questions to ask:

1. Is Russia trying to influence the election through misinformation so that Trump gets re-elected?

2. If they had to choose a candidate to use as their conduit (whatever you choose that to mean), who would they choose?

Discuss.

This is my discussion point.

“Russian Asset” Is A Meaningless Noise War Pigs Make With Their Face Holes

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/russian-asset-is-a-meaningless-noise-war-pigs-make-with-their-face-holes-c883685ad4c

nan said:

This is my discussion point.

“Russian Asset” Is A Meaningless Noise War Pigs Make With Their Face Holes

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/russian-asset-is-a-meaningless-noise-war-pigs-make-with-their-face-holes-c883685ad4c

No it's not. It's Johnstone's. Though the title could have been written by Gabbard, with it's unhinged quality.

basil said:

Forget FOX News, I'm thinking Gabbard is looking for a VP spot, just not on the Dem ticket.  A lot of common ground between those two attention addicts.

Smedley said:

Geez. Where exactly are you are seeing this? in SoMa? Things aren’t perfect of course but this is far from the reality I see. 

I’m by no means on Easy St. and raising my $18 cocktail glass at the Cassidy or Fox/Falcon every night. I live modestly. But my job is ok enough , investments have done ok over the years and I have a reasonable sense of a reasonably secure financial future. So the system is working reasonably enough for me, and I have at least some expectation that it will continue to do so. 

And my sense, at least anecdotally, is that other people — friends and family, colleagues, neighbors, fellow commuters, people I see on the streets of soma, etc — for the most part, are also doing reasonably ok by the system. 

The only explanation I can think of for the observation that “most people are miserable and struggling” is that you did hard drugs back in the day and you are flashing back 40 years to 1979 or something.

No, not seeing it widespread in the island that is SoMa.  Hence the strong support for Warren, a mildly progressive candidate that cozies up to Clinton and will never fight for Medicare for All. 

But, you are doing far better than most, and you, based on your comments are not living too high on the hog. You are hunkering down with the devil you know rather than demanding more than the crumbs dished out by the neoliberal establishment Dems. 

Outside of Soma, people can't lie to themselves like that.  They have multiple jobs, and payments and can't afford insurance or the bills they get.  Soma is surrounded by poor communities where people are underwater. 

I never did hard drugs.  Here are some realities you need to consider - most people are insecure/stressed out about not having enough money, despite outdated poverty measures. 

America's Official Poverty Rate Is a Total Farce

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/americas-official-poverty-rate-is-a-total-farce/

drummerboy said:

No it's not. It's Johnstone's. Though the title could have been written by Gabbard, with it's unhinged quality.

She says it better than I can. Unhinged are those who support Hilary on this.  She went waaaaaay over the line and needs to apologize.

I saw this sign on someone's lawn this morning.  I think it may have been Paul's

Gabbard would eat Trump for dinner and spit him out for breakfast. 

Gabbard can't even eat the 10 people above her for breakfast.  Forget dinner.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.