2018 Oscars - Sunday, March 4th

Agree, very well done, but a lot of notable omissions: no Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, Henry Fonda, Barbara Stanwyck, James Cagney, Gary Cooper, Laurence Olivier, Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman. James Stewart appeared at least three times. I suppose you can't include everything.

Also didn't show any of the classic couples - Hepburn/Tracy, Flynn/de Havilland, Powell/Loy etc. Did have Astaire, no Ginger.

drummerboy said:

Personally, I think this is about the best 4 minutes of film I've ever seen. I got chills watching it a second time.

I thought the clip segments were weird, out of place, had no context to what was going on and had both glaring omissions and ridiculous inclusions. 

Was Brando anywhere? In addition to the 90 years piece, in the Eva Marie Saint clip they showed her in On the Waterfront with Karl Malden, not Brando. Seemed odd.

But I generally do like the nods to the past.

Lots of references in local NJ media to absence of Frank Vincent in the memoriam piece. "Go home and get your shine box!"

And that fish from The Shape of Water was in like 20 clips - he should have been nominated for something

Dumb looking thing. With all,the effects capabilities, that's what we got? I guess it was paying homage to the 1950s monster flicks so they tried to make it in line with make up and effects from then?

drummerboy said:

Personally, I think this is about the best 4 minutes of film I've ever seen. I got chills watching it a second time.

I'd love to have every film montage ever shown at the Oscar's. Always my favorite part.

Apparently Shape of Water star Michael Shannon watched the Oscars at a dive bar in Chicago, drinking Old Style beer and wearing a puffy coat

http://bit.ly/2G0xEjN

apple44 said:

Apparently Shape of Water star Michael Shannon watched the Oscars at a dive bar in Chicago, drinking Old Style beer and wearing a puffy coat

He always loved to swig away.

I'm glad he played a nice human being in Waco. I really hated him after Shape of Water.

That was kinda the point of his character.  He became a monster, while the creature became more and more human.

conandrob240 said:

I'm glad he played a nice human being in Waco. I really hated him after Shape of Water.

Maybe he’ll find Mark Rylance in a shady scheme. Just like the one in Bridge of Spies.

Ok, I'm still getting through all of the movies.  

Fantastic Woman was really good.

I, Tonya edges out Three Billboards for me.

Still need to see Shape of Water and Call me by Your Name.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.