2018 CHS Cougars Baseball/Softball

shh said:
I know only two or so of us read this, but...

Shout-out to tjohn, Mr. Or So.

I’m on my way to vote, but in baseball news — I’m looking for some. Wondering how the Millburn game on Monday went, and what time the Greater Newark Tournament opener, which I hear is set for Saturday, is scheduled to start. May just have to wait for my wife to report back from this afternoon’s game, where she plans to be taking photos.

I'm not sure how baseball has fared. Softball has been challenged, to say the least. Defensively the girls are pretty sharp, but it's been difficult to get those runs in. 

I read it Shh. So 3 at least!

Laugh of the night: Apparently the baseball game at Millburn on Monday was postponed ...

... because Millburn forgot to hire umps.

The Dooks of Essex.

I’m told the GNT game on Saturday is scheduled for 3 at Underhill.

today CHS softball hosts Bloomfield at 4pm at Meadowlands 3. 

Saturday is our county game vs Montclair, also at home, 3pm. 

CHS softball beats Bloomfield 9-6! That was a huge win. Nice article by Mike Lamberti. https://mikelamberti.wordpress...

Come support the girls Saturday in their first county game. 3pm at Meadowlands 3

Next Weds is Senior day and we play Belleville. 7pm at M3

The baseball team, the No. 5 seed, advances to the quarterfinals of the GNT county tournament after beating North 13th Street (Newark), 11-0 in five innings. North 13th Street, the No. 21 seed, had upset Caldwell, the No. 12 seed, in the opening round.

Luke Jackson whacked two home runs in his first two at-bats, then lined a double to the opposite field in his third and final at-bat. Palmer Krais was an out away from a five-inning no-hitter before yielding a single. He then finished off the one-hit shutout.

Next up in the GNT: No. 4 seed Nutley on Thursday.

But before that is the annual night game at Cameron Field, on Tuesday. The opponents? Those Millburn Millers (who might have to be reminded what the two guys in blue are doing on the diamond). It’s a highlight of the season in more ways than one, with a great atmosphere and concessions including grilled burgers and hotdogs. Varsity at 7, JV at 4.

And I see on nj.com that the softball team had a double-digit win of its own today, 13-3 over Montclair. Way to go.

DaveSchmidt said:
And I see on nj.com that the softball team had a double-digit win of its own today, 13-3 over Montclair. Way to go.

Yup...so CHS plays Verona in Round 2 off the tournament 9am next Saturday. 

Games all week. Away Mon, Tues, Thurs and Home Weds vs Belleville for Senior Night. 7pm at Meadowlands 3. This is the team's first seniors since 2016 (and probably the biggest group of seniors in years) and we hope to make it special for them.

DaveSchmidt said:

The decisive factor was the freshly mowed outfield - by a parent with a push mower.  

tjohn said:

The decisive factor was the freshly mowed outfield - by a parent with a push mower.  

Parents were joking about the height of the Underhill grass, but Elliot Dix managed to a hit a ball on the ground up the middle hard enough that it went all the way to the fence for a triple.

During one inning, a worker on a riding mower who had been cutting the JV field made a cameo in the outfield on his way back to the shed, interrupting an at-bat. E - Grounds Crew.

ETA: After further consideration, and accounting for the fact that the interruption negated a strike thrown by the North 13th Street pitcher, there’s been a scorer’s change. 

A - Grounds Crew.

Tonight at 7pm is CHS Softball Senior Night! Come down to Meadowlands 3 to cheer on the Cougars vs. Belleville. 

I couldn’t be at last night’s game at Cameron, but nj.com reports an 8-7 victory over Millburn. Sweet.

DaveSchmidt said:
I couldn’t be at last night’s game at Cameron, but nj.com reports an 8-7 victory over Millburn. Sweet.

My daughter said the game went until 11pm in extra innings. Good for them!

CHS Softball Senior Night was a great success. The stands were filled with fans, the majority of the baseball team watched from center field, and we beat Belleville 4-0. Seniors played well and had some nice hits. The girls were so happy. ❤️ 

Looks like Nutley knocked the Cougars out of the county baseball tournament in a close one, 8-6.

Nice Q&A with third baseman Luke Jackson in The Villager (Essex News Daily):

https://essexnewsdaily.com/news/maplewood/60234

What is a fact about you that might surprise people?

One thing that people may not know is that I’ve had to make a lot of comebacks in baseball. I have had three surgeries that took me out of the game for extended periods of time and required a lot of physical and mental labor to get back to play again. Most people would not expect someone as young as me to have had to deal with issues such as these, but it has made me value hard work and really made me enjoy every game of baseball I play.

I remember first hearing Luke’s name maybe five years ago (we didn’t move here until our son was Babe Ruth age, so all the local kids were unknown to us) as a young special player who was battling a tough injury. And now he’s blasting homers and headed to Dickinson College.

Cougars won a thriller today at Nutley, where they had lost in the GNT just four days ago. Another back-and-forth game between these teams, with Nutley taking a 9-7 lead into the seventh. The Cougars proceeded to rally for three runs, capped by Phil Whitney’s go-ahead RBI — one of the hardest-hit singles I’ve seen. (Bases were loaded with one out, and Phil hit an opposite-way rocket to the left-field fence. The ball got out there so fast, the runner on second — who may have held up a bit in case the center fielder, playing deep, reached it for a catch — was held at third.)

Johnny Del Greco yielded a leadoff double in the bottom of the seventh but stranded the potential tying run at third by fanning the final batter with a wicked curve called for strike two and then, after setting it up with a fastball, getting a swing and a miss on another deuce.

Weather permitting, Senior Day (and the home finale) is Wednesday vs. Livingston.

wow!!!! That's an amazing win!!!

what time is senior day? At Cameron? 

shh said:

Underhill at 4.

In Softball news,  

Cougars play Scotch Plains Fanwood for the first round of state games at HOME M3 on Thursday at 4:30. Please come support! 

And weather permitting play montclair tomorrow (away) 

Caldwell (away) Weds and home vs Caldwell on Friday. 

DaveSchmidt said:

shh said:
Underhill at 4.

Argh, ok, we will be away. 

CHS Softball beat Scotch Plains-Fanwood 8-1 in the first round of the state tournament today at Union Catholic. 

Next game is vs. Millburn on 5/23. 

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/5197545778316017727/scotch-plains-fanwood-1-at-columbia-8-njsiaa-north-jersey-section-2-group-4-tournament-first-round-softball/#comments

The baseball team, seeded No. 6, opens the state tournament on Monday at Underhill against 11th-seeded Bayonne.

The Cougars took a 5-1 lead against Bayonne yesterday, my correspondent tells me, but ended up falling 10-7.

It was one of those days: In the paired bracket, 14th-seeded Perth Amboy beat the No. 3 seed, Ridge. So 11th will host 14th in the quarterfinals.

Makeup baseball game at Millburn at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Should be a good one.

Four hours later, an 18-10 loss is in the books. Up 1-0, down 8-1, then back to 8-6, then it slipped away.

Submarining senior Gabe Bergman did a nice job in long relief.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.