What to read next?

Life Among the Savages is hilarious!

Have you read I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb? Amazing, amazing book.

sojourn said:

Just finished and enjoyed, Life Among the Savages, by Shirley Jackson, probably best known for her short story The Lottery.

bookgirl said:

Life Among the Savages is hilarious!

The woman who wrote The Lottery has a funny bone??

So I have now finished 4 mysteries. I liked them all, but I think The Beekeepers Apprentice (the Sherlock Holmes one) was my favorite. Next up:

The Starboard Sea - Amber Dermont
I Am Forbidden - Anouk Markovitz - hope its not too Holocaust centered - because Holocaust literature is very disturbing to me
In One Person - John Irving

So glad you enjoyed the Beekeeper's Apprentice! The next one is just as good. Some of the later ones in the series are uneven but I'm so taken with the characters I read them anyway.

I read the descriptions of the later books where Mary and Sherlock are married. It seems an unlikely pairing given the age differences. I assume that now I am familiar with the characters backgrounds I can choose additional books based on which story appeals to me?

It won't hurt much, but there is some story developement - and the latest three (which I haven't managed to read yet) are I believe tied together quite closely.

For full effect I would read them in order.

Agree on the in order thing. There's a certain amount of relationship and story arc development related to Sherlock and Mary's pasts and families. But if nothing else, read the next one!

just finished gillian flynn's "gone girl". In-SANE! wow, that was a freaky and great read.

Just finished my third Three Pines mystery - this one takes place at a nearby isolated resort, but there are visits to the fabled village and some characters. I thought the unraveling of the mystery was unique - no computers or forensics involved! Since I mostly read ebooks on a Kindle, I have a problem remembering book titles!
Next up is the beekeeper's apprentice.

Leighan, I just finished it too. Wasn't it fun? I want to read her other stuff now. I've been waiting for a co-worker to finish it so I can talk to someone about it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone!

1/2 way thru Gone Girl. Intriguing.

Bookgirl, i've read all her other stuff and it's just as good!

Cool! I'm going to be a very happy reader this summer. The new Tana French is out in a few weeks but since my company publishes it there is supposed to be a copy waiting on my desk on Monday. Very excited!

bookgirl said:

Cool! I'm going to be a very happy reader this summer. The new Tana French is out in a few weeks but since my company publishes it there is supposed to be a copy waiting on my desk on Monday. Very excited!

Oh, you have just made my day. I adore Tana French but didn't realize the new one was almost out. Off to pre-order it for my Nook!

Just read "The Yard," which I purchased at Words one day when the library was closed, and I was jonesing for a new read. Really liked it! As they say, great for fans of "The Alienist" which I also liked a lot. From amazon:

Victorian London is a cesspool of crime, and Scotland Yard has only twelve detectives—known as “The Murder Squad”—to investigate countless murders every month. Created after the Metropolitan Police’s spectacular failure to capture Jack the Ripper, The Murder Squad suffers rampant public contempt. They have failed their citizens. But no one can anticipate the brutal murder of one of their own . . . one of the twelve . . .When Walter Day, the squad’s newest hire, is assigned the case of the murdered detective, he finds a strange ally in the Yard’s first forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Kingsley. Together they track the killer, who clearly is not finished with The Murder Squad . . . but why?

Filled with fascinating period detail, and real historical figures, this spectacular debut in a new series showcases the depravity of late Victorian London, the advent of criminology, and introduces a stunning new cast of characters sure to appeal to fans of The Sherlockian and The Alienist.

If you like Victorian London mysteries maybe either the Victoria Thompson or Caleb Carr mysteries set in NY might be to your liking. I also liked a Louis Bayard book set in West Point, but can't remember the title.

On a completely different tangent, I have read a few books about religious fundamentalists recently. I read two books about Satmar women and their struggles against their society, "I am Forbidden" by Markovitz and "Unorthodox" by Deborah Feldman. I also read "The Unlikely Disciple" by Kevin Roosevelt which was a kind and humorous account of a student without religion who chose to study t Jerry Falwells Liberty university.

Are there any good books about the female/feminist perspective of being raised in a religiously fundamentalist Christian society? Already read the Mormon one, "Under the Banner of Heaven".

Eta, just realized Caleb Carr wrote "the alieniest", also The Unlikely Disciple is by RooSe, not Roosevelt, cursed IPad which refuses to accept that I know what I am trying to type.

I love Caleb Carr. Weird but brilliant dude. I wish he'd write some additional in the Alienist series...

"The 19th Wife" might do it for you on the fictional, sort of feminist umbrella. I really liked it. From amazon:

"Sweeping and lyrical, spellbinding and unforgettable, David Ebershoff’s The 19th Wife combines epic historical fiction with a modern murder mystery to create a brilliant novel of literary suspense.

It is 1875, and Ann Eliza Young has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church. Expelled and an outcast, Ann Eliza embarks on a crusade to end polygamy in the United States. A rich account of a family’s polygamous history is revealed, including how a young woman became a plural wife.

Soon after Ann Eliza’s story begins, a second exquisite narrative unfolds–a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah. Jordan Scott, a young man who was thrown out of his fundamentalist sect years earlier, must reenter the world that cast him aside in order to discover the truth behind his father’s death.

And as Ann Eliza’s narrative intertwines with that of Jordan’s search, readers are pulled deeper into the mysteries of love and faith."

I read the 19th Wife. Good that it combined fundamentalism with a murder mystery.

Also read "the Lonely polygamist" by Brady Udall which was funny/sad.

Campbell, try jesusland by scheeres

I heard about that one, but did not remember the title.

I think I'll try [any subject] so long as a murder mystery is involved....!

Has anyone read the new Tana French book "Broken Harbor"? I am reading now "House of Velvet and Glass" by Katherine Howe, who wrote "The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane". I also recently read "Niceville" by Carsten Stroud. There was an odd juxtaposition of a crime story and a supernatural thread. I liked the crime story, but did not much care about the supernatural part. I also read "The Snow Child"' by Eowyn Ivey. I was expecting it to be much better, but it just became kind of boring and predictable.

I am waiting for Broken Harbor for Kindle. Has anyone read Nothing to Envy or Bringing Up the Bodies?

I read Bringing Up the Bodies. I liked it a little better than Wolf Hall, and I enjoyed Wolf Hall. I saw a review of Nothing to Envy, but I haven't read it.

Thanks Campbell. Also check out Three Weeks in December.

Just stumbled on Nicole Krauss's "The History of Love" and fell completely in love with it.

Just finished 11/22/63. It was amazingly amazing.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.