What series should I watch next?

We've been watching A French Village on Amazon Prime. It's a French film about a village that is occupied by the Nazis and what happens to the inhabitants of the village when they're faced with having to make decisions that will effect them and their fellow villagers. It's gripping. Can only watch one or two episodes at a time. 

I've started watching THE SPY on Netflix starring Sacha Baron Cohen.  Amazing that he was once Ali G and Borat. He's become a fine serious actor. The story is apparently based on a true story of Israeli spies in Syria. I've seen 3 episodes so far and it's very good. Noah Emmerich (from The Americans) is in it and he's good, too. 

jeffl said:

One more vote for Two Popes.  Which one gets the Best Actor award?   

+10

Two German police series are very good — Thou Shalt Not Kill, and Faulke.

Binged the whole of series 2 of Making It yesterday. Not as fun as series one, but the projects were a little more diverse and grand. They had a nice touch at the end of each episode where they played a little song for whoever lost that week. It can be a saccharine, but its heart is in the right place.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I've started watching THE SPY on Netflix starring Sacha Baron Cohen.  Amazing that he was once Ali G and Borat. He's become a fine serious actor. The story is apparently based on a true story of Israeli spies in Syria. I've seen 3 episodes so far and it's very good. Noah Emmerich (from The Americans) is in it and he's good, too. 

I love the clothes he wears as a spy. 

The most compelling things I have watched and would recommend- some older but, all available I think?

Luther (Idris Elba Brit crime),    Line of Duty (Brit Crime),    Killing Eve (sexy psych crime),   Justified (Elmore Leonard Kentucky marshal crime),  Ozark (Crime and family drama),  Scott and Bailey (Brit crime),  Russian Doll  (funny NY gritty weird),   Chernobyl,     Yellowstone  (modern western Dallas),    Godless (great western),   Wanted (Aussie Thelma and Louise),    the Shield (L.A. cops),    Life on Mars (Brit time travel gritty cop drama).    Liked Happy Valley, the Crown, Victoria,  Orange is the New Black,  Secret City, Americans, The Alienist, Bodyguard, Broadchurch, Whitechapel.        Could not love  Mr Robot, Breaking Bad, Leftovers 

Has anyone mentioned Too Cute on Hulu? 42 minutes of dogs/cats/puppies/kittens/overwhelming cuteness.

Just the thing for these troubled times.

I have always found Schitt's Creek really funny although at first I was turned off by the name. Was happy to find a great article today in the NYTimes telling of its great popularity. They are on their final season. It's produced in Canada and has a great cast  - so funny. CNN.Com had a good article today also.

galileo said:

I have always found Schitt's Creek really funny although at first I was turned off by the name. Was happy to find a great article today in the NYTimes telling of its great popularity. They are on their final season. It's produced in Canada and has a great cast  - so funny. CNN.Com had a good article today also.

I tried to watch it a few times but I just can't watch Catherine O'Hara. She creeps me out. 

galileo said:

Here's the article from the Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/arts/television/schitts-creek-final-season.html

I do understand Soul's comment - O'Hara can be a bit overbearing.  But I like it.

Please help me: Began the Durrell’s of Corfu, season one, two episodes in, and I hate everybody in the Durrell family, plus am not too crazy about a few others. I thought this would be a good choice — love 1930s period, love Greece, love the climate and architecture, etc.

So why the turn off? Indolent, selfish kids? Spacey mother who seems not to be tuned in? Annoying question of how the family managed to get their old dog from Britain to Greece? 

Should I continue — will it be worth it?

jamie said:

I do understand Soul's comment - O'Hara can be a bit overbearing.  But I like it.

That's The Soulful Mr T -  if you don't mind.

mtierney said:

Please help me: Began the Durrell’s of Corfu, season one, two episodes in, and I hate everybody in the Durrell family, plus am not too crazy about a few others. I thought this would be a good choice — love 1930s period, love Greece, love the climate and architecture, etc.

So why the turn off? Indolent, selfish kids? Spacey mother who seems not to be tuned in? Annoying question of how the family managed to get their old dog from Britain to Greece? 

I would say it's worth it. The kids are selfish, the mother is useless, and they treat everyone around them as if they're the foreigners. They're quite typical of British colonials, really. But they get better as they go on. Sometimes. Sometimes they get worse. It's worth remembering the stories are adapted from the recollections of Gerald, the youngest son, who titled his first book My Family And Other Animals. I'd give it a couple more episodes and if you really hate it, move on.

Currently binging Scott & Bailey on Amazon  -British detective series centered around two female detectives. Excellent!

mtierney said:

There are soooo many worthwhile shows available these days, I will not continue with a show beyond two episodes if it hasn't grabbed me. Life is short, and it's impossible to watch everything. (For the record, I did watch the first two of Durrells on the recommendation of a friend, but didn't much care for it. But that was just me. To each his/her own.)

ridski said:

I would say it's worth it. The kids are selfish, the mother is useless, and they treat everyone around them as if they're the foreigners. They're quite typical of British colonials, really. But they get better as they go on. Sometimes. Sometimes they get worse. It's worth remembering the stories are adapted from the recollections of Gerald, the youngest son, who titled his first book My Family And Other Animals. I'd give it a couple more episodes and if you really hate it, move on.

Agree.  However, if mtierney doesn't like it at this point, I don't see how the arrival of Henry Miller on the scene will add to the appeal.  

Did something I have never done with a TV series — jumped to season 2, watched an episode; season 3, the same; still hated everybody. Executive decision: stop trying to find out how this series could have gone on multiple seasons!

Oh, Dave, I never did catch Henry  Miller’s arrival. I doubt if I had, my opinion would have changed.

The Messiah on Netflix is insane and keeps you on the edge of your seat.  For a truly disturbing documentary again focusing on China - Netflix's One Child Nation is really well done but will haunt you.   Kevin Hart's Dont **** this Up is a 6 part documentary that follows him around and gets deeply personal but he annoyed me with his narcissism.  Another great documentary on Netflix is Bikram, Yoga, Guru,Predator.  The Two Popes is phenomenal.  Don't **** with Cats - a documentary about a serial killer - is a must see - but you will have to turn away at times.  I loved the latest season of Mrs. Maisel- it was a musical every week and an ending that is truly memorable.  There is a ton of good stuff in my Hulu queue including The Quiet One, about Bill Wyman, Honeyland, Lodge 49, a mellow comedy in its second season, Travel Man, two dudes traveling to different cities in the world, and RuPaul's AJ and the Queen (that one is Netflix)

mtierney said:

Did something I have never done with a TV series — jumped to season 2, watched an episode; season 3, the same; still hated everybody. Executive decision: stop trying to find out how this series could have gone on multiple seasons!

Oh, Dave, I never did catch Henry  Miller’s arrival. I doubt if I had, my opinion would have changed.

Miller doesn't show up until season 3.

Travel Man is technically one guy, the hilariously dry Richard Ayoade and a different guest each week. Most of the guests are British comedians, but they managed to get some bigger names from the US in there, too. I've been watching them on YouTube for a couple of years now, and I love this show.

nan said:

I binge-watched the new season of The Kominsky Method.  I don't know why I like that show, but I could not stop watching it.  

Season 3 of Atypical just came out.  I will watch that soon.  

I love The Kominsky Method! Alan Arkin is fabulous! I also liked, not loved ,Atypical. Very watchable.

This is Us is addictive.

Kitaba said:

This is Us is addictive.

Apparently it starts up again tonight. My daughter and I watch it together. Silly drama but we love it. Too much Toby is a problem though. Jeez, let's keep him in the periphery of the drama.

I recently finished "The Spy," on Netflix, as I mentioned above. It's only 6 episodes and very good. Sacha Baron Cohen is outstanding as is the rest of the cast. It's based on a true story of when the Israelis inserted a spy (Cohen) into the very highest echelon of Syrian government, culture and society in the early 60s.  

Now I've started Lodge 49. It was highly touted by the NYT so I'm giving it a try. I'm one episode in. I'll keep you posted.

And very much looking forward to Leslie Jones' stand up special premiering tonight on Netflix.

This article captures the improbable watchability of Netlix's goofy current hit "The Witcher."  It's hardly GOT or LOR although it strains to have the vibe of both.  If you need a fix of sword and sorcery to carry you over until something better comes along, go for it:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/why-the-witcher-slaps.html

bub said:

This article captures the improbable watchability of Netlix's goofy current hit "The Witcher."  It's hardly GOT or LOR although it strains to have the vibe of both.  If you need a fix of sword and sorcery to carry you over until something better comes along, go for it:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/why-the-witcher-slaps.html

I'm going to get into this at some point. I still have season 4 of The Expanse to watch yet. So of course instead of watching either of these things, I started bingeing Medical Police, because I was a fan of both Children's Hospital and NTSF:SUV:SD, and this is like both of these shows combined. I will fully understand if you don't find it funny at all, but I think it's brilliant.

I know it’s been mentioned a lot but holy crap, Messiah has me hooked.  There’s a bad joke in there but let’s move on.  

This is going to sound weird, but for people who like Antiques Roadshow, Bake Off, or Making It, The Repair Shop on Netflix is amazing. A bunch of people in a big workshop just fixing old things for people. The stories of things they need repairing and what they do is amazing. 

ridski said:

This is going to sound weird, but for people who like Antiques Roadshow, Bake Off, or Making It, The Repair Shop on Netflix is amazing. A bunch of people in a big workshop just fixing old things for people. The stories of things they need repairing and what they do is amazing. 

Now this sounds like my kind of thing.

"Sex Education" on Netflix.

Very funny, well done series.  Season 2 arrives later this month.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!