What series should I watch next?

unicorn33 said:

Finished Big Little Lies, enjoyed it.

Nearly done with The Son. Curious to see how it ends.

One episode into last season of Orange Is the New Black. I'm sure it will be a rough final season.

Hooked on Big Little Lies. Can't wait for the return.  I'm wondering when My Brilliant Friend will return. It was one of last years best series.

Heard a very positive review of season two of Succession (HBO) on NPR. I think I'll go back and watch season one and see how it goes. Anyone seen it? 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Heard a very positive review of season two of Succession (HBO) on NPR. I think I'll go back and watch season one and see how it goes. Anyone seen it? 

Caught a few episodes at the end of last season. I felt a little lost as I hadn't started at the beginning but it was pretty good.

Morganna said:

Great season finale Big Little Lies. Catch up. Meryl Streep was unnerving.

She was really scary. That said, I think I liked the first season better.  Do you think it is finished now or will they have Season 3?

I'm also watching Derry Girls again as Season 2 just came out--it's great. So funny.

I'm having trouble getting through Dead to Me for some reason, but I like it.

While on the treadmill, I've been watching Season 2 of Instant Hotel, which is so predictable, but enjoyable anyway because it's in Australia.  They even had some nutty contestants from the underground town Cooper Peedy, which I had read about in a kid's Language Arts book.   They decorated it with US car memorabilia. 

nan said:

She was really scary. That said, I think I liked the first season better.  Do you think it is finished now or will they have Season 3?

I'm also watching Derry Girls again as Season 2 just came out--it's great. So funny.

I'm having trouble getting through Dead to Me for some reason, but I like it.

While on the treadmill, I've been watching Season 2 of Instant Hotel, which is so predictable, but enjoyable anyway because it's in Australia.  They even had some nutty contestants from the underground town Cooper Peedy, which I had read about in a kid's Language Arts book.   They decorated it with US car memorabilia. 

I assumed that there would be a Season 3 as it was billed as a season finale as opposed to a series finale. Did a little search and came up with nothing definitive but from the standpoint of the actresses, how often do female roles come up with that much intensity. And their work together felt more like a repertory company. Everyone seemed in synch.

Did you catch My Brilliant Friend last year? I have a feeling you would love the political thread of the story. Another example of incredible females in a couple of the strongest female roles. I told 2 very different friends about it and they were both hooked.

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Caught a few episodes at the end of last season. I felt a little lost as I hadn't started at the beginning but it was pretty good.

Watched 3 episodes. It’s like a train wreck that you can’t take your eyes off. It’s the most  cynical thing I’ve ever seen.  It’s pretty engaging, though. 

Morganna said:

I assumed that there would be a Season 3 as it was billed as a season finale as opposed to a series finale. Did a little search and came up with nothing definitive but from the standpoint of the actresses, how often do female roles come up with that much intensity. And their work together felt more like a repertory company. Everyone seemed in synch.

Did you catch My Brilliant Friend last year? I have a feeling you would love the political thread of the story. Another example of incredible females in a couple of the strongest female roles. I told 2 very different friends about it and they were both hooked.

I thought the story was wrapped up with the ending, but I'm sure they might continue if lots of money is involved.

I will check out My Brilliant Friend.  My sister keeps telling me to watch Gentleman Jack, which I think you also recommended.  I need to get away from politics a bit with escapist TV.

My Brilliant Friend is brilliant.    Derry Girls is amazingly funny.   

I'd watch a soap commercial if Meryl Streep was starring in it! She is simply remarkable. She owned the second season of Big Little Lies.

Has anyone mentioned The Night Manager?   Liked the first two episodes. Savoring Season 2 of Derry Girls. Funniest thing on TV.  

Amazon Prime recommended Naked City for me to watch, which was a crime drama from the late 50s-early 60s.  So I sampled a few episodes and it actually holds up really well.  If you are a fan of any of the versions of Law & Order, you definitely see its DNA in Naked City.  And an added feature for me is that it was the first TV series shot on location in NY.  To see locations like the New York Coliseum or the original Penn Station is like looking into a time capsule.  And another cool aspect of the show is the list of guest stars, who were cast from Broadway, Off-Broadway and acting schools in the city.  I watched an episode last night that featured both Dustin Hoffman and Robert Morse.  According to IMDB, it was Hoffman's first credited TV or movie appearance.

Who would have thought a show from almost 60 years ago would have me hooked? grin

nan said:

I thought the story was wrapped up with the ending, but I'm sure they might continue if lots of money is involved.

I will check out My Brilliant Friend.  My sister keeps telling me to watch Gentleman Jack, which I think you also recommended.  I need to get away from politics a bit with escapist TV.

Love Gentleman Jack. There's that wink at the camera in the style of old Woody Allen movies. Intelligent, sensuous, witty and artistically designed. Suranne Jones portrays the real life story of Anne Lister In a way that can best be described as dashing. I can't imagine any other actress pulling off this role with such appeal. The back story is fascinating as she wrote her personal journals in code. Yes listen to your sister! I pulled out an old top hat and actually decided its time had returned. If you love Steampunk you will covet  her entire wardrobe.

As a fellow political Road Warrior, I can't wait to hear your response to My Brilliant Friend which takes place in Southern Italy with passions revolving around communism. It has a certain Lena Wertmuller quality whose films such as The Seduction of Mimi, Swept Away, Seven Beauties and Love and Anarchy explored the politics of the era with romance and humor.

Morganna said:

Love Gentleman Jack. There's that wink at the camera in the style of old Woody Allen movies. Intelligent, sensuous, witty and artistically designed. Suranne Jones portrays the real life story of Anne Lister In a way that can best be described as dashing. I can't imagine any other actress pulling off this role with such appeal. The back story is fascinating as she wrote her personal journals in code. Yes listen to your sister! I pulled out an old top hat and actually decided its time had returned. If you love Steampunk you will covet for her entire wardrobe.

As a fellow political Road Warrior, I can't wait to hear your response to My Brilliant Friend which takes place in Southern Italy with passions revolving around communism. It has a certain Lena Wertmuller quality whose films such as The Seduction of Mimi, Swept Away, Seven Beauties and Love and Anarchy explored the politics of the era with romance and humor.

I will check them out.  Right now I'm watching Derry Girls, Season 2 and it's hysterical.  

I'm also watching a horrendous Netflix movie with Felicity Huffman, post-college scandal, called "Otherhood" instead of "Motherhood." She plays a bad mom!  It's about three affluent women in Poughkeepsie, who get revenge on their sons for not calling them on Mothers' Day by showing up for a visit to New York City.  It's making me feel like Mother of the Year. 

The whole premise makes no sense since most kids call their Moms on Mothers' Day even if they don't like them. We are culturally programmed that way. Not a big fan of my Mom and I fly down to Florida for Mothers' Day.  Few are so cruel or oblivious as to not make a simple phone call.  But, the three sons are just like their Moms so it makes more sense. Anyway, it's a terrible movie, but I'm watching it anyway.

Then I will try the others.

drummerboy said:

I recommend getting back in touch with The Andy Griffith show. I started watching it recently and I am enthralled by it.

I watched that a few years ago on Netflix and I liked that you could see them in order from the beginning season to the last. My boyfriend was also watching them, but on a station that ran random ones with commercials.  He wanted to see it more as he did as a kid.  I wanted to be more critical, but it is a good show, and not as dated as I expected.

Aunt Bee is still kinda cool. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Morganna said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Watched 3 episodes. It’s like a train wreck that you can’t take your eyes off. It’s the most  cynical thing I’ve ever seen.  It’s pretty engaging, though. 

Totally agree with this assessment. Fantastic show, better than Billions IMO (and I liked Billions).

The Great Hack, Netflix  SCARY

The Weekly from NYTimes on FX   Linking to the great hack check the episode on the woman and FB.

-Ron Carter

nan said:

Morganna said:

Love Gentleman Jack. There's that wink at the camera in the style of old Woody Allen movies. Intelligent, sensuous, witty and artistically designed. Suranne Jones portrays the real life story of Anne Lister In a way that can best be described as dashing. I can't imagine any other actress pulling off this role with such appeal. The back story is fascinating as she wrote her personal journals in code. Yes listen to your sister! I pulled out an old top hat and actually decided its time had returned. If you love Steampunk you will covet for her entire wardrobe.

I will check them out.  Right now I'm watching Derry Girls, Season 2 and it's hysterical.  

I'm also watching a horrendous Netflix movie with Felicity Huffman, post-college scandal, called "Otherhood" instead of "Motherhood." She plays a bad mom!  It's about three affluent women in Poughkeepsie, who get revenge on their sons for not calling them on Mothers' Day by showing up for a visit to New York City.  It's making me feel like Mother of the Year. 

The whole premise makes no sense since most kids call their Moms on Mothers' Day even if they don't like them. We are culturally programmed that way. Not a big fan of my Mom and I fly down to Florida for Mothers' Day.  Few are so cruel or oblivious as to not make a simple phone call.  But, the three sons are just like their Moms so it makes more sense. Anyway, it's a terrible movie, but I'm watching it anyway.

Then I will try the others.

I saw Otherhood too, mostly cuz I love Angela Bassett. It was mediocre at best. I wouldn’t say it’s a must see by any stretch of the imagination. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I saw Otherhood too, mostly cuz I love Angela Bassett. It was mediocre at best. I wouldn’t say it’s a must see by any stretch of the imagination. 

No, awful, but I will watch any move about mothers and sons.  I once dragged my son to see that Barbara Streisand/Josh Gogan road trip move.  Not good, and kinda awful.  But, I've talked my son into going on a road trip with me, so maybe I planted some seeds!

I just finished watching the first season Succession on HBO. Wow what a trip. Extraordinarily cynical people behaving badly. Very badly. Ruthless dysfunction, to quite the NYT. It’s cringe worthy.

The acting, particularly by Brian  Cox and Jeremy Strong as the lead characters, the father and the son, Kendall, is scary good. These and the other actors turn themselves into witless, craven, hollowly-ambitious monsters. It’s a real talent for a smart actor to take on so successfully the role of an extraordinarily dim-witted son if a billionaire who thinks, because if his circumstances, he’s a brilliant and clever charmer. 

I’m not sure I have the stomach for season two. 

Anyone else seen the complete first Season? 

I decided to watch Inspector Morse from Season One. I had always loved the show and John Thaw’s performance. But bythe third episode, I was struck how the inspector seemed to become emotionally involved with every female suspect! It was so unprofessional. Morse seemed so needy and unhappy.

I am thinking of moving on a few seasons to see if his character changes — if he gets woked.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I just finished watching the first season Succession on HBO. Wow what a trip. Extraordinarily cynical people behaving badly. Very badly. Ruthless dysfunction, to quite the NYT. It’s cringe worthy.

The acting, particularly by Brian  Cox and Jeremy Strong as the lead characters, the father and the son, Kendall, is scary good. These and the other actors turn themselves into witless, craven, hollowly-ambitious monsters. It’s a real talent for a smart actor to take on so successfully the role of an extraordinarily dim-witted son if a billionaire who thinks, because if his circumstances, he’s a brilliant and clever charmer. 

I’m not sure I have the stomach for season two. 

Anyone else seen the complete first Season? 

I binged S1 in a weekend just before S2 launched, and it's been really hard to be patient between episodes! I'm somewhat familiar with the business dynamics, which seem to be portrayed with heartbreaking accuracy. And while I agree that Kendall is misguided, I've been knocked out by the way Jeremy Strong shows his exteme insecurity and self-loathing. The writing for Kieran Culkin's character (Roman) has been slick. 
Weirdly, both Alan Sepinwall and James Poniewozik, critics I admire, disliked the show at first. 

The Loudest Voice on showtime was great.

Fleabag on Prime is really good also.

jamie said:

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Fleabag. I saw her perform it onstage in New York last year.

ml1 said:

Amazon Prime recommended Naked City for me to watch, which was a crime drama from the late 50s-early 60s.  So I sampled a few episodes and it actually holds up really well.  If you are a fan of any of the versions of Law & Order, you definitely see its DNA in Naked City.  And an added feature for me is that it was the first TV series shot on location in NY.  To see locations like the New York Coliseum or the original Penn Station is like looking into a time capsule.  And another cool aspect of the show is the list of guest stars, who were cast from Broadway, Off-Broadway and acting schools in the city.  I watched an episode last night that featured both Dustin Hoffman and Robert Morse.  According to IMDB, it was Hoffman's first credited TV or movie appearance.

Who would have thought a show from almost 60 years ago would have me hooked?
grin

I remember the show.

"There are 8 million stories in the Naked City . . . "

That show is so old that the actor who played Lt. Dan Muldoon later played the Wagon Master on "Wagon Train" which was very long ago.

And he was in a million other things, including Psycho.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0570615/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t7

If you loved Fleabag you will find your Phoebe fix by bingeing on her earlier series, Crashing.

jamie said:

Loudest Voice was so revealing, I'm surprised that FOX isn't suing Showtime.

Lodge 49 (AMC) will appeal to:

• Fans of The Big Lebowski
  • Members of fraternal organizations (The Elks, Freemasons)
  • Grail seekers
  • Tarot card aficionados
  • Thomas Pynchon fans
  • Alchemists
  • Those curious to watch the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn in a leading role
  • Plumbers and sellers of plumbing supplies
  • Swimming pool enthusiasts 
  • Ancient Greek philosophy

I have started Season I of Father Brown, the long running BBC series, now in its 7th season. After weeks of watching intense, violent crime series, the relaxed and slow-paced Father Brown is a like a tonic! 

Watched American Factory on Netflix. I can’t recommend it highly enough. We talk about China all the time and it’s tRump’s obsession. Watch this fascinating, sad and brutally-real documentary to see what China, and America, are really about and how profoundly and fundamentally different they are.  It’s a must-see if you want to understand the worlds economy and America’s place in it. 

And please share your reaction here. I’m curious what others think. 

I have been enjoy Pose on FX.  And it was just renewed for 3rd season.  Lot's of good stuff in there.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.