What series should I watch next?

j_r said:
I loved Rectify. The slow pace is refreshing once you get into it. Aden Young's character is complicated and heartbreaking. And the theme music is really good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=014dScYyvP8

Great! I think I'll dive in tonight!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:
I loved Rectify. The slow pace is refreshing once you get into it. Aden Young's character is complicated and heartbreaking. And the theme music is really good!

Watched two episodes last night. I quite enjoyed the slow pacing. I noted that Luke Kirby, who played Lenny Bruce on Mrs. Meisel, is in it.

TV Fans,

Started watching Pure on WGN on demand via comcast.  Seems to have disappeared???????

Anybody know what happened????

I can't find it anymore and on their own website, I'm getting a 404 message....

Clever idea for a show...

-Ron Carter

As far as I know, Season 2 of Pure starts on May 28.  I have FIOS but I assume Comcast will have the same schedule.

https://www.wgnamerica.com/series/pure/

Note sure if its been mentioned but Better Things on Hulu/FX is excellent.  If you liked Pamela Adlon in the Louis CK show this is a continuation and based on her life as a single mom actress raising 3 daughters.  Very real.

boomie said:
Note sure if its been mentioned but Better Things on Hulu/FX is excellent.  If you liked Pamela Adlon in the Louis CK show this is a continuation and based on her life as a single mom actress raising 3 daughters.  Very real.

Loved her on Louie CK and her show is quite good though I haven't managed to stay focused on it.

Anyone watching 9-1-1 on Fox Monday nights? It's silly more often than not but I like the cast very much (I'll watch anything with Angela Bassett). 

Retribution anyone? I can't decide if I can continue with a crime drama that starts with the killer crashing his car into the front yard of the victims's parents. (And that's not even a spoiler.)

rcarter31 said:
TV Fans,
Started watching Pure on WGN on demand via comcast.  Seems to have disappeared???????
Anybody know what happened????
I can't find it anymore and on their own website, I'm getting a 404 message....
Clever idea for a show...
-Ron Carter

Can't explain it but can get to episodes with a webbrowser to WGN.  No clue how we got there via Comcast, Netflix or Prime before...

Will bet you had no idea that there was a Mennonite Mob with links to Mexico!

-Ron

rcarter31 said:
 Can't explain it but can get to episodes with a webbrowser to WGN.  No clue how we got there via Comcast, Netflix or Prime before...

Will bet you had no idea that there was a Mennonite Mob with links to Mexico!
-Ron

Anyone watching Gentleman Jack on HBO. Love it so far!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:

Just finished the 4 seasons of RECTIFY on Netflix and I liked it very much. It tales place in Georgia so everyone has a nice southern drawl. It's a story about a small family. One son spends 20 years on Death Row. His incarceration and ultimate release has a profound impact on all. He is released to face both the enmity and love of his community and family.  Slow-moving, charming, engaging.

Tonight my daughter and I are starting Death to Me.

@boomie - Shtisel has been renewed for a third series. Work on the new storylines has already begun but no date yet. 

NO. WAY!!!!!!!    I will need a link!   This is huge!!!

Seems like no one here is watching Gentleman Jack so 3 episodes in, it is witty, wicked and gorgeous to watch. Based on the 19th century coded diaries of Annie Lister of Halifax and described by the NYT critic James Poniewozik, as "a swaggering woman in search of a wife." Aside from the fact that I'm a fan of period piece BBC dramas, I haven't seen a character quite like Annie Lister. The sets are delicious and her wardrobe is full tilt boogie steampunk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/arts/television/review-gentleman-jack-review.html

I've just started watching LUTHER. Three episodes in. Gotta love Idris Elba but I'm not a fan of either Ruth Wilson or her role here. We'll see.

I just finished DSI Banks — excellent police procedural with complex characters. What I respected the most was the absence of profanities and the so overused f word!

Dead bodies and blood everywhere, as fans of this kind of programming appreciate, but no excessive cursing used for shock value.

Morganna said:
Seems like no one here is watching Gentleman Jack so 3 episodes in, it is witty, wicked and gorgeous to watch. Based on the 19th century coded diaries of Annie Lister of Halifax and described by the NYT critic James Poniewozik, as "a swaggering woman in search of a wife." Aside from the fact that I'm a fan of period piece BBC dramas, I haven't seen a character quite like Annie Lister. The sets are delicious and her wardrobe is full tilt boogie steampunk.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/arts/television/review-gentleman-jack-review.html

On your recommendation I checked it out and was VERY entertained. That wedding hat was a scream. Well done, except for having to wait until Monday for the next episode.

Dead to me on Netflix is completely binge-worthy. Strong female characters, funny, real and tragic all at the same time.

Finally started watching an older show from the UK called London Irish last night. It’s only 6 episodes, but it’s written by the same woman who created Derry Girls, arguably the best British TV comedy currently running. It is extremely crude, contains some of the harshest language you’ll ever hear, but it is funny AF. If you are offended by the c-word I cannot recommend it, you will hate this. But as a Brit, this is how we talk, even if we might have different kinds of impenetrable accents.

Derry Girls.  6 episodes.  Half hour each.  I tired to savor them but ended up semi-binging them.  Absolutely loved it.  

ridski said:
Finally started watching an older show from the UK called London Irish last night. It’s only 6 episodes, but it’s written by the same woman who created Derry Girls, arguably the best British TV comedy currently running. It is extremely crude, contains some of the harshest language you’ll ever hear, but it is funny AF. If you are offended by the c-word I cannot recommend it, you will hate this. But as a Brit, this is how we talk, even if we might have different kinds of impenetrable accents.

Since the F word has become toothless from overuse, the C word has popped up a lot more in TV (in GOT, needless to say).  It, too, will lose shock value over time I guess.

I don’t know - never found the F word that shocking but the C word - always...

jeffl said:
Derry Girls.  6 episodes.  Half hour each.  I tired to savor them but ended up semi-binging them.  Absolutely loved it.  

Thought this was great--hoping they do more.   

just started Lucifer season one. Amusing, but does the premise wear thin in time?

bub said:
 Since the F word has become toothless from overuse, the C word has popped up a lot more in TV (in GOT, needless to say).  It, too, will lose shock value over time I guess.

It’s a little weird to hear it on tv, but it lost its shock value for me when I was about 14. What was strange for me when I first arrived on these shores 20 years ago was the absence of the word, I was so used to hearing it.

Luther is back Sunday and a new season of Designated Survivor soon on Netflix.

Just started an Aussie series: Secret City...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.