What series should I watch next?

unicorn33 said:

daveturnley said:
Russian Doll is absolutely worth sticking with.
 Stuck with it. Wished I hadn't. Not a fan. Not sure why the critics were so high on it.

I'm remembering a big reason I stopped watching Orange Is the New Black.

The Keepers on Netflix.  I watched the whole thing today.   Incredible story.

A general observation about TV series, prompted by the recent news that Counterpart is not being renewed.  When a show is driven by some central underlying mystery, especially one with a sci fi or supernatural element, the "reveal," when it comes, usually signals that it's time for thing to end.  I feel that way about the otherwise excellent Counterpart (I didn't watch the finale yet).  It's hard to pull off a reveal that matches the slow burning feeling of mystery/dread/complexity preceding it.  There's no rule that says a show has to go on for years until its driven into the ground, which is what U.S. TV seems to do.  

Versace from American Crime Story on Netflix was captivating. I’m contemplating the OJ one, but not sure if I want to live through that courtroom drama again.

j_r said:

unicorn33 said:

daveturnley said:
 Stuck with it. Wished I hadn't. Not a fan. Not sure why the critics were so high on it.

In the end, I didn't like Russian Doll either. There was no real plot. No nuance. Actually you could tune in any episode and not miss anything for having missed earlier ones. No growth or change on the part of any of the characters. And all due respect to Natasha Lyonne, she's a one-trick pony. She's all attitude and no acting.

Next?

Anyone start watching the Lorena Bobbit doc on Amazon yet?

drift...

Interesting stuff about Lorena Bobbitt on On The Media yesterday.  i had no idea:  didn't follow it much at the time, and anyhow, according to the documentary maker the coverage at the time was way incomplete and in some cases just stunningly awful.  Maybe we have come at least a little way since then.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:

unicorn33 said:

daveturnley said:
 In the end, I didn't like Russian Doll either. There was no real plot. No nuance. Actually you could tune in any episode and not miss anything for having missed earlier ones. No growth or change on the part of any of the characters. And all due respect to Natasha Lyonne, she's a one-trick pony. She's all attitude and no acting.

I've enjoyed Orange Is the New Black (even though it's gotten darker and darker each season), and I like Natasha Lyonne, at least up to a point. But I agree that there was no growth or change, no real character development, and that's what really bothered me. Groundhog Day was an excellent movie because the main character learned and evolved. That doesn't truly happen in Russian Doll, aside from Lyonne's character seeming to come to some kind of terms with her Mom history. What I find most puzzling is the critical raves this show received--indeed, the Times recently did a whole article about what a hit the show has been.

unicorn33 said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:

unicorn33 said:

daveturnley said:
 I've enjoyed Orange Is the New Black (even though it's gotten darker and darker each season), and I like Natasha Lyonne, at least up to a point. But I agree that there was no growth or change, no real character development, and that's what really bothered me. Groundhog Day was an excellent movie because the main character learned and evolved. That doesn't truly happen in Russian Doll, aside from Lyonne's character seeming to come to some kind of terms with her Mom history. What I find most puzzling is the critical raves this show received--indeed, the Times recently did a whole article about what a hit the show has been.

I don't particularly go for the exaggerated Brooklyn wise guy persona, like she's channeling Bugs Bunny or Slip Mahoney.  Is that the way she is in other roles?  If you like that, and lot of scenes of people walking through and around Thompkins Square Park at night, this may be the show for you.  

bub said:

unicorn33 said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

j_r said:

unicorn33 said:

daveturnley said:
 I don't particularly go for the exaggerated Brooklyn wise guy persona, like she's channeling Bugs Bunny or Slip Mahoney.  Is that the way she is in other roles?  If you like that, and lot of scenes of people walking through and around Thompkins Square Park at night, this may be the show for you.  

"...the exaggerated Brooklyn wise guy persona.."  A good way to describe it. 

Morganna said:
From my DVD collection I am once again watching West Wing.  Fast funny still current and of course I wish we had President Bartlet instead of what's his name.

Love this post.  Long live Jed Bartlet!

angelak said:

Morganna said:
From my DVD collection I am once again watching West Wing.  Fast funny still current and of course I wish we had President Bartlet instead of what's his name.
 Love this post.  Long live Jed Bartlet!

Wouldn't mind Mat Santos either.

I started "The Umbrella Academy" and I did not think I'd make it past the first 20 minutes.  But, I finished the first episode and I'm going to try another.  I don't watch much sci-fi so I don't have much to judge it against, but the story/mystery is interesting in a Lemony Snicket kind of way.

I like White Dragon on Prime. Makes me think of Dave a lot. How will we ever have to wait a week between episodes again?

Watching the Ken Burns "New York" 8-part documentary.   Highly recommend.

boomie said:
Watching the Ken Burns "New York" 8-part documentary.   Highly recommend.

Where is it?

Shoot, its RIC Burns, not Ken Burns.

TCMC 31 Days of Oscars Today was a feast of The Rains of Ranchipur, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness,  Mogambo, and 81/2

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but the German mystery/sci fi/supernatural series "Dark" is superb.  It has similarities to Stranger Things but its more aduIt and demanding that ST.

Looking ahead, the upcoming Jordan Peele-helmed reboot of Twilight Zone looks great based upon the trailer. 

bub said:

Looking ahead, the upcoming Jordan Peele-helmed reboot of Twilight Zone looks great based upon the trailer. 

Unfortunately, it will be on CBS subscription. :-(

The Widow was worth watching, and the new Vanity Fair was great (netflix).

We have been watching Shtisel and are captivated by it. It is incredibly sensitive and creative. The acting is wonderful - I had to check the credits to see if the characters were really actors. I don't think you have to be Jewish to enjoy it. 

Sadly its only two seasons!   (Shtisel)

cramer said:
We have been watching Shtisel and are captivated by it. It is incredibly sensitive and creative. The acting is wonderful - I had to check the credits to see if the characters were really actors. I don't think you have to be Jewish to enjoy it. 

which streaming service?

ITS PHENOMENAL.   My new tv obsession.

Ours too. It has everything - it really draws you in. I think there's the surprise element  - since it's about a Haredi family, you would never have guessed that you could get so involved. 

Thank you! I love this part: 

"What’s even better is that many of these shows have cast members in common with  “Shtisel” — Israel is a small country, after all."

Shtisel is next on my list, thx.

Apple Tree Yard on Prime is a bit steamy but riveting story line.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.