The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ridski said:

nohero said:

News outlets say this letter has been confirmed by the White House as genuine.

Which means he's nuts, and we're all in trouble.

Also, it’s a week old, which mean Erdogan read it and fully ignored it.

I think it's "genuine" as in "actually from the White House and from Trump".

I wouldn't rely on the date.

We have to find ways to laugh, to keep from crying.

Mr. Trump also dismissed his own former defense secretary, Jim Mattis, who resigned last year when the president first tried to withdraw troops from Syria. When Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, began to cite Mr. Mattis, a retired Marine general, the president interjected, calling him “the world’s most overrated general,” according to a Democrat briefed on the meeting.
“You know why?" Mr. Trump said. “He wasn’t tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in one month.”

NYT:Trump Lashes Out on Syria as Republicans Rebuke Him in House Vote

This while ISIS prisoners, freed by his astounding incompetence, swarm over Northern Syria.  The man is deranged.

nohero said:

This is hilarious! But there is no way this letter is real.

mtierney said:

Can anyone justify a salary of $50K a month for sitting on a board? If his last name wasn’t Biden, that is. 

Perhaps all reference to a politician’s extended family should be an off-topic for campaigns. Focus solely on the candidate’s merits, policy platform, delivery, charisma Or lack there of, etc. Right now, Warren’s family has been in the background — except for genetic heritage, of course. Of the 24, now 12 candidates, I have little awareness of personal or past family background. Let the candidates make their cases — let voters judge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/us/politics/hunter-biden-interview.html

Nice try

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

I believe Hunter Biden just permitted his name to be associated with the board to earn $600K a year - for how many years? How many deals? He apparently has other sources of income.

The Clintons and Obamas each got $15M advances for their multiple books — and the newest mother and daughter book was considerably more lucrative.

Truly, there had few people in the world who can comprehend having this amount of money. Personally, I am bummed if I go shopping and find I left the coupons at home.

I don't understand begrudging someone money from selling books.

Unless of course you just hate them in the first place.

And yet again, this is the height of irony coming from a Trump supporter.

New research jointly from Oregon and Melbourne, Australia can help to explain the disconnect:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-17/white-married-women-more-likely-to-vote-for-conservative-parties/11608514

Basically, it seems that the longer centrist or reserved white women remain married, the more likely they are to become conservative in their politics, and less likely to support other women's political visions or programs. Such women are drawn more strongly to men and their causes, however these are phrased. 

I'm trying to find the original study.

nohero said:

Frankly, this is a letter, sans political claptrap and contrivance, to muddle clear intent. No interpretor required. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Frankly, this is a letter, sans political claptrap and contrivance, to muddle clear intent. No interpretor required. 

What do you think that "intent" might be?

joanne said:

New research jointly from Oregon and Melbourne, Australia can help to explain the disconnect:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-17/white-married-women-more-likely-to-vote-for-conservative-parties/11608514

Basically, it seems that the longer centrist or reserved white women remain married, the more likely they are to become conservative in their politics, and less likely to support other women's political visions or programs. Such women are drawn more strongly to men and their causes, however these are phrased. 

I'm trying to find the original study.

Just as young people, boys and girls, are often liberal in their leanings, older and sometimes wiser men and women have experience and perspective, pointing toward a conservative mindset. Perhaps not a mystery at all. Evolution, maybe. 

I have daughters and granddaughters in my life, as well as grandsons and sons. I have been blessed. 

mtierney said:

Frankly, this is a letter sans intelligence and rational thought, indicating mental impairment.  

Are you by now so deeply committed to this man that you can't see how insane his behavior is becoming?

Interesting juxtaposition here. Remember, Turkey is a NATO ally.

First picture is of Erdogan meeting with Putin. Notice Russian flag behind Putin and semi-friendly smiles in picture.

Second one Mike Pence and Erdogan today. Notice the flag behind Pence. Notice the tiny flag on the table. Notice the expressions.

Mtierney, the research doesn’t try to talk down life experience, or disparage anyone’s views. The researchers simply are trying to understand why there are suddenly such big gaps between predictive polls and actual results, in I think USA, UK and Australia (I’m not sure about UK), and they want to know what’s driving the real change in actual results. This study has been done over several years.
It turns out that in English speaking countries apparently at the moment the major unrecognised driver is  white married women who’ve been married a long time, and take their aspirational cues from men they view as strong. Even if that strength has been shown to be false or violent or unethical/corrupt/criminal.

They don’t take their national leadership cues from women because they don’t view any as being strong enough or foresighted enough, (we’re talking about voting behaviour here, and social behaviour; we’re not talking about republic vs monarchy)

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Erdogan didn't think much of it -

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan put US President Donald Trump's letter "in the bin", the BBC has been told.

In the letter dated 9 October, and sent after US troops were pulled out of Syria, Mr Trump told Mr Erdogan: "Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!"

Bells for Rick Perry.

Will the last Trump Cabinet member to leave the White House in disgrace please empty the diaper genie?

ridski said:

First picture is of Erdogan meeting with Putin. Notice Russian flag behind Putin and semi-friendly smiles in picture.

Second one Mike Pence and Erdogan today. Notice the flag behind Pence. Notice the tiny flag on the table. Notice the expressions.

As I said before, everything Trump touches goes to ****, that includes the Unites States of America

“I earned my spurs on the battlefield ... And Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor,” -  Jim Mattis, Al Smith Dinner

“I don’t like the Democrats, but Trump is destroying the Republic!” - Four-star general to McRaven, Fort Bragg command ceremony.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/opinion/trump-mcraven-syria-military.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-mattis-trump-smith-dinner-20191018-jnnbrtyhqfefnj3ntsrflrsj6q-story.html

basil said:

ridski said:

As I said before, everything Trump touches goes to ****, that includes the Unites States of America

The Saudi's are also hedging their bets. Putin visited Oct 14. The King, himself, welcomed him.

https://news.yahoo.com/oil-iran-top-agenda-putin-visits-saudi-arabia-023935932.html

“I earned my spurs on the battlefield.  Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor.”

- General Mattis

Questions: who supports and pays for the transportation, food and lodging for these demonstrators? Are they employed by some organization? Are they doing it out of individual conviction — or an innate desire to cause mayhem and attention?

In no way do I consider these people similar to the Hong Kong protestors.

Some people have jobs upon which they depend to survive week to week. Some, very likely, work in hospitals, schools, etc. being late to get to a job has ripple effects.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/world/europe/extinction-rebellion-london-underground.html

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Frankly, this is a letter sans intelligence and rational thought, indicating mental impairment.  

Are you by now so deeply committed to this man that you can't see how insane his behavior is becoming?

Trump's letter to Erdogan, reinterpreted at The New Yorker - 

mtierney said:

Questions: who supports and pays for the transportation, food and lodging for these demonstrators? Are they employed by some organization? Are they doing it out of individual conviction — or an innate desire to cause mayhem and attention?

In no way do I consider these people similar to the Hong Kong protestors.

Some people have jobs upon which they depend to survive week to week. Some, very likely, work in hospitals, schools, etc. being late to get to a job has ripple effects.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/world/europe/extinction-rebellion-london-underground.html

When I lived in Sacramento in the 1990s, I was routinely inconvenienced by anti choice protesters who would lie down in the street in front of the Women's Health Clinic near my apartment.  This is a common tactic of protestors of all stripes.  I can't say it made me any more sympathetic to the anti woman agenda but, then again, I doubt there is much they could have done that would have.

ETA:  I am not quite sure who paid to support the idiots in Sacramento.  Maybe you?

Trump campaign's lawyer sent a sternly-worded letter to CNN invoking the legal principles of "Not Fair Not Fair!" and "Mom, He's Hitting Me!"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/trump-campaign-to-sue-cnn-over-pro-impeachment-bias-demands-substantial-payment

mtierney said:

If I ever feel compelled to refer to you, that’s the word I’m going to use.   Sans.   Without.   That’s exactly you.  Thanks Sans!

Tell me again how wrong it is to suspect wrongdoing by HRC ...

“Great! Thank you @HillaryClinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a ...

Portion of a tweet in which the candidate from Hawaii defends herself against off the chart allegations.

Red_Barchetta said:

mtierney said:

If I ever feel compelled to refer to you, that’s the word I’m going to use.   Sans.   Without.   That’s exactly you.  Thanks Sans!

The Spanish word for "without" is sin.  That also might be fairly applied to most of mtierney's posts here. Sin alma.

mtierney said:

Tell me again how wrong it is to suspect wrongdoing by HRC ...

“Great! Thank you @HillaryClinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a ...

Portion of a tweet in which the candidate from Hawaii defends herself against off the chart allegations.

Gabbard may be a candidate but she is a candidate without followers.  She made six veggie burgers for her supporters at the Iowa State Fair.  One poor guy had to choke down two of them.

mtierney said:

Here is an event Americans can all applaud!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/science/space/nasa-female-spacewalk.html

Yup, but Trump will find a way to **** it up:

"This is the first time for a woman outside of the space station," Trump, who appeared to be reading from a script, said on the phone call. "They're conducting the first-ever female spacewalk."

In fact, the first woman walked in space in 1984 — the cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya holds that record. The NASA astronaut Kathryn Sullivan became the first American woman to do so later the same year.

"You're right now on television all over the world, so don't get nervous," Trump added.

When the astronauts got the chance to respond, Meir politely corrected President Trump.

"We don't want to take too much credit because there have been many other female spacewalkers before us," Meir, who was doing her first-ever spacewalk, said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-incorrectly-says-astronauts-first-women-spacewalk-2019-10

If they get raped by an alien it’ll be their own damn fault.   Shoulda stayed inside. 

Red_Barchetta said:

If they get raped by an alien it’ll be their own damn fault.   Shoulda stayed inside. 

What about wearing those sexy astronaut suits

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.