The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

You were prepared and balanced and cool under pressure.
You knew what you were talking about at every turn.
You saw the big picture, and you knew the countless small details that your opponent could never be bothered with.
You endured a relentless flood of misinformation by continually, plainly speaking your truth.
You had your character assassinated over and over—and in response you simply showed that character.
You shouldered the kind of expectations that no man aspiring to the position has ever had to contend with.
You had to be both strong and sensitive, tough and warm, fierce and likable—and you were.  
You never talked in nonsensical sound bites, never ranted like a lunatic at your detractors, never viciously attacked citizens on social media—and you never stooped to the inhumanity of your opponent.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/12/22/thank-you-hillary/

ml1 said:
and fwiw, I never considered the Professor to be an angry guy.

Based on past performance, the comment was probably a misremembering and a conflation of two different people.

nohero said:

ml1 said:
and fwiw, I never considered the Professor to be an angry guy.
 Based on past performance, the comment was probably a misremembering and a conflation of two different people.

Professor Sam Kinison

mtierney said:

Anyone here remember a disheveled comic - I think he called himself the professor —whose whole act was to release a torrent of angry words castigating people and events?

If the photo that ml1 posted doesn’t ring a bell, let us know and maybe someone can throw other possibilities out there. I know what it’s like to misremember or conflate people, if that’s the case.

Ageism at play? Gender Disparity? Subtle hint re my acuity? 

I conflated nothing but the similarities in delivery/schtik by both the professor and preacher. 

mtierney said:
Ageism at play? Gender Disparity? Subtle hint re my acuity? 
I conflated nothing but the similarities in delivery/schtik by both the professor and preacher. 

and in so doing, once again avoided addressing the issue at hand.

This pretty much wraps up what is so wrong in today’s gotcha mentality— how or if we can fix or change this environment of collective hate is doubtful from the way I observe what’s happening through my MOL window.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/opinion/james-baldwin-public-morality-empathy.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

mtierney said:
This pretty much wraps up what is so wrong in today’s gotcha mentality— how or if we can fix or change this environment of collective hate is doubtful from the way I observe what’s happening through my MOL window.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/opinion/james-baldwin-public-morality-empathy.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

“These days we prefer ringing moral indictment, the hallmarks of which are absolute certainty, predetermined ideas and conformity to collective sentiments.”

When you measure yourself against such pitfalls, mtierney, what’s your assessment?

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:
“These days we prefer ringing moral indictment, the hallmarks of which are absolute certainty, predetermined ideas and conformity to collective sentiments.”
When you measure yourself against such pitfalls, mtierney, what’s your assessment?

As opposed to the days of the WASP consensus.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

I don’t quite understand the question.

In recent weeks, my only absolute certainty has been the death of my husband.

didn’t mean to cut off the conversation, David, but if you rephrase your question, I’ll try to respond.

If I would hazard another response, I would say I am opposed to trial and conviction by  social media advocates whose standards are most likely neither fair — nor balanced. 

mtierney said:
didn’t mean to cut off the conversation, David, but if you rephrase your question, I’ll try to respond.
If I would hazard another response, I would say I am opposed to trial and conviction by  social media advocates whose standards are most likely neither fair — nor balanced. 

No, that’s fine. The question was an open-ended invitation to self-reflection. Whatever you made of it is what it was meant to make. 

Perhaps “open minded invitation to self reflection” might well apply to Diane Feinstein who has the press at her back over her own spy issues...

https://thefederalist.com/2018/08/08/sen-dianne-feinsteins-ties-china-go-way-deeper-alleged-office-spy/

mtierney said:
Perhaps “open minded invitation to self reflection” might well apply to Diane Feinstein who has the press at her back over her own spy issues...
https://thefederalist.com/2018/08/08/sen-dianne-feinsteins-ties-china-go-way-deeper-alleged-office-spy/

you must be joking.  There's really no there there

the “there” there is the media pass this Feinstein “spy” story has received — where is the outrage? Oh, wait, this involved a California Democrat, so there is no outrage.

I generally don't believe anything I read in the Federalist but Californians will do well to replace Diane Feinstein with Democrat Kevin de Leon in November.  Feinstein may be the most liberal Republican in the Senate but Blue California deserves a progessive voice.

mtierney said:
the “there” there is the media pass this Feinstein “spy” story has received — where is the outrage? Oh, wait, this involved a California Democrat, so there is no outrage.

there's no outrage because there is absolutely no reason to be outraged.  The staffer in question was fired, and...

There was no evidence the driver divulged any secret information or even knew the Chinese government was trying to recruit him.  
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Feinstein-doesn-t-let-Trump-get-best-of-her-13139438.php

Klinker said:
I generally don't believe anything I read in the Federalist but Californians will do well to replace Diane Feinstein with Democrat Kevin de Leon in November.  Feinstein may be the most liberal Republican in the Senate but Blue California deserves a progessive voice.

this is true.

perhaps we should focus on why our biggest fear should be the loss of our humanity. How can we protect against horror such as this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/us/new-mexico-compound-school-shootings.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

mtierney said:
perhaps we should focus on why our biggest fear should be the loss of our humanity. How can we protect against horror such as this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/us/new-mexico-compound-school-shootings.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

Seems to me that we are doing a pretty good job.  The perps were apprehended and the kids are in foster care.  Parental abuse occurs in all sorts of situations.  I recall a story a couple years ago about some Opus Dei jihadists who were keeping their kids locked in a closet and beating the sin out of them. Same insanity, different flavor.

Also, wondering how child abuse in New Mexico is related to the Rose Garden.

Klinker said:

Terrorism trainees + child abuse — pretty clear link to me.

Might be a "False Flag"

Why does the local Public Defender have a very Russian name?

Aleksander Kostich, a state public defender, said the allegation that the defendants were training the children to carry out school shootings lacked evidence and could not currently be corroborated by other court filings pertaining to the case.

“If you’re going to make an allegation of that nature, you needed corroboration and you need specificity,” Mr. Kostich said. “I always urge restraint in terms of how things are reported and opinions people form, because there’s a lot to be determined.”

mtierney said:

Klinker said:

you voted for the man who decided to intentionally remove children from their parents, while neglecting to have a plan to re-unite them.

So tell us again about child abuse.

mtierney said:

Klinker said:

Well, I don't think there is any evidence that Trump abuses children, most of the women he has assaulted were over 18.  Of course, there was that thing where he was perv cruising the dressing room at the Miss Teen USA pageant so I suppose that could count.  That said, I don't think the dudes in NM were sexually abusing these kids so the Trump link seems pretty weak.

Still, the fact that you can even assert a connection says something pretty awful about the current inhabitant of the White House.

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

Klinker said:
 Well, I don't think there is any evidence that Trump abuses children, most of the women he has assaulted were over 18.  Of course, there was that thing where he was perv cruising the dressing room at the Miss Teen USA pageant so I suppose that could count.  That said, I don't think the dudes in NM were sexually abusing these kids so the Trump link seems pretty weak.
Still, the fact that you can even assert a connection says something pretty awful about the current inhabitant of the White House.

Well, there was that party with the 13 year old.

adding to the mystery with more mystery...

Who needs gun license in 36 states? Who kidnaps his own son to bring him across country for health treatment?  Who travels with multiple weapons and stores of ammunition to do so? Who allows the boy’s body to lie abandoned on the compound?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/us/new-mexico-compound-georgia-wahaj.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

mtierney said:

Who needs gun license in 36 states? 

A proud champion of the Second Amendment?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!