The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

blackcat said:

First male Hummingbird spotted in my yard this morning out here in Western Morris County. 
A bear destroyed my regular sunflower feeder the other night so I grabbed a cheapish plastic one at HD. The hummer was hovering near it, confused since it was red. Swapping it out today for a better seed feeder now. 

Wow, Hummingbirds Sunflowers and Bears oh my!

I wonder if they are around and I haven't spotted one. I recall them coming early in the morning and again at dusk. I was outside gardening most of the day but didn't spot them yet.

This morning he was swooping back and forth near the feedersoh oh Claiming them for now. 

This morning at garret fam preserve in cape May 

Tree swallows,mockingbird , ospreys and cowbirds 

oots said:

This morning at garret fam preserve in cape May 

Tree swallows,mockingbird , ospreys and cowbirds 

The Swallow Wow. Wish Cape May were closer. I'm not good with long car rides.

Morganna said:

The Swallow Wow. Wish Cape May were closer. I'm not good with long car rides.

I think I saw barn swallows by Floods Hill the other day if you want a much closer swallow fix. They are lovely birds. 

Cape May pt state park this morning 

yellow throated warbler, killdeer and a greater yellowlegs

oots said:

Cape May pt state park this morning 

yellow throated warbler, killdeer and a greater yellowlegs

Gorgeous photos!

I just saw my first hummingbird (West Orange but only a 1/4 mile from South Orange). I was so excited!

BTW, Morganna, I am not sure how long a car ride you can tolerate but we went to Cattus Island County Park in Toms River (about an hour and a quarter from here) this weekend. Lots of ospreys and swallows. Little thrushes in the brush. They even have an accessible boardwalk that gives great views of the bay/sound/cove.

marylago said:

I just saw my first hummingbird (West Orange but only a 1/4 mile from South Orange). I was so excited!

BTW, Morganna, I am not sure how long a car ride you can tolerate but we went to Cattus Island County Park in Toms River (about an hour and a quarter from here) this weekend. Lots of ospreys and swallows. Little thrushes in the brush. They even have an accessible boardwalk that gives great views of the s

I am 2 blocks from  the West Orange border so send them to me please!

That park sounds wonderful.

Big day today in SO near Underhill Field- firsts of the season- Rose-breasted Grosbeak this morning and male hummer just now,

The Grosbeak; no picture of the hummer

lynnl199 said:

That is such a good sighting! We had one at our feeder years ago. It stayed perched there eating for a reallllllly long time. So fun to watch. 

lynnl199 said:

I got a Grosbeak a couple of years ago at my feeder.

Morganna said:

I am 2 blocks from  the West Orange border so send them to me please!

That park sounds wonderful.

@marylago You must have used your magic! A Hummingbird flew over to my lamppost to the painted red cardinal below my address. I did not see him go to the feeder in the backyard but you must have told him my house number which I assume you remember from the Historic Homes Tour.

As if the Hummingbird sighting was not enough I had another wild visitor and did not catch him with my camera. He was a Wood Warbler known as a Common Yellowthroat.

Very cool to both sightings, Morganna.

Morganna said:

I got a Grosbeak a couple of years ago at my feeder.

Such great photos!

Found this online, it is a picture of the kind of Wood Warbler, the Common Yellowthroat, that I saw.

A friend in Maplewood posted this guy on FB!

I saw a woodcock one morning in my backyard. Only once. It shocked me.

bikefixed said:

I saw a woodcock one morning in my backyard. Only once. It shocked me.

Just saw the birder at the plant sale and asked her to come back to MOL to post here. PS I missed out on all of the Coneflowers so off to Metropolitan Plants or Home Depot to find some. My new Nyjer feeder is being ignored and I'm on my last Clementine. No Goldfinches here and no Orioles but I've spotted Hummingbird's twice.

Morganna said:

Just saw the birder at the plant sale and asked her to come back to MOL to post here. PS I missed out on all of the Coneflowers so off to Metropolitan Plants or Home Depot to find some. My new Nyjer feeder is being ignored and I'm on my last Clementine. No Goldfinches here and no Orioles but I've spotted Hummingbird's twice.

I'm having similar luck. The goldies have seemingly gone away. I occasionally think I've heard one in the trees but no sightings. No orioles in spite of orange slices galore. No hummingbirds either. :-(

bikefixed said:

I'm having similar luck. The goldies have seemingly gone away. I occasionally think I've heard one in the trees but no sightings. No orioles in spite of orange slices galore. No hummingbirds either. :-(

yes- no goldfinches the past few days 

That's what always happened to me. I'd see Goldfinches for a few days and then gone.

But there has been a Hummingbird everyday for a few days and today two facing off so I put up a second feeder. One took a taste of the Clementine or at least inspected it up close. And the feedings are so frequent. I used to get a visit morning and evening but today the small female has been back and forth all day or maybe both alternating. Either way I suspect a nest in one of the Hollies as I once read they like the cover. They are so dense they block out some rain.

bikefixed said:

I hadn’t seen a goldfinch for weeks and then-voila- there is one now at my feeder.  It’s a Mother’s Day gift oh oh. Hope they they are back. I miss that bright yellow! 

I got to see an evening grosbeak this morning! We also saw a female goldfinch. No flock of yellow though.

bikefixed said:

I got to see an evening grosbeak this morning! We also saw a female goldfinch. No flock of yellow though.

Beautiful!

What in the world is this guy. Looked through 2 books and online. Not at the feeder but eating berries from the Holly, Smaller than a sparrow, more the size of a Warbler or Chickadee. Had a tough time getting a shot through the dense Holly. Anybody know this bird. Looks to be just black and white.

bikefixed said:

Ooooooh. Good sighting. I had to look that one up- he’s a beauty. 

Morganna said:

What in the world is this guy. Looked through 2 books and online. Not at the feeder but eating berries from the Holly, Smaller than a sparrow, more the size of a Warbler or Chickadee. Had a tough time getting a shot through the dense Holly. Anybody know this bird. Looks to be just black and white.

I tried looking him up. No luck either. I just saw what looks like a black and white warbler with yellow on his wings. Do we get yellow rumpled warblers here? Or is it something else? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.