The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

So, today's puzzle (Sep-11) was dumb and nonsensical. Took me a while to complete for a Wednesday. By the time i was done I was really, really annoyed. I decided to go to Rex Parker, which I rarely do, to see what he thought. I was gratified that he said, "This is one of the worst puzzles I've ever done. Just let that previous sentence sink in."

I won't quote any more of his remarks in case someone's still working on it. But the bottom line is, this puzzle sucked. 

at least it wasn't some morbid 9/11 remembrance

drummerboy said:

at least it wasn't some morbid 9/11 remembrance

right.

toughie today

eta: and now everything just fell into place. weird.

/startbrag

finally broke 8 minutes on the Monday puzzle.

Hallelujiah

/endbrag

I hate Thursday puzzles.

That is all.

mjc said:

I hate Thursday puzzles.

That is all.

Yeah, this one in particular was way above my average Thursday time. But contra Rex Parker (I’m almost always contra Rex Parker), I admired it.

Yeah, congratulations, really.  Sometimes i can see what's going on with these, but today was a complete stall.  I could tell what some of the words were intended to be, but no idea how they were to be entered, and finally just threw up my hands and Revealed it.

Took me a while to get the gimmick - and I'm still not sure I have it right. I'll see when I get home if I can make it work throughout. It's a toughie, a poser, a Thursday.

No spoilers please.

I was going to post about this this morning.  Took me forever to figure out the gimmick, but once I did, I really enjoyed the puzzle. Over my average time, which rarely happens anymore.

Love Thursday through Sunday. 

Haven't done a puzzle in weeks, I guess I'll give this one a shot.

Way tough Friday for me, too. 

Confusion will be my epitaph.

DaveSchmidt said:

Way tough Friday for me, too. 

Confusion will be my epitaph.

I am in awe.  question

I finished today's puzzle, but I still don't understand the theme.

As far as I could tell, the theme was simply familiar expressions clued in punny ways.

not much of a theme then

drummerboy said:

not much of a theme then

agreed.

SPOLER ALERT! 

Today's puzz (May-7)  was wacky. One of those puzzles where you get ALL the fill and you STILL can't figure out what the hell is going on. 

(I subsequently figured out the spoonerisms.).

I just did the Wednesday puzzle. Thought the theme was pretty clever. I even laughed a couple of times.

drummerboy said:

I just did the Wednesday puzzle. Thought the theme was pretty clever. I even laughed a couple of times.

Yeah, that one was clever.  Good for a Wednesday!

I see a big glaring error in Sunday’s “The Mystery of McGuffin Manor” puzzle. Anyone else see it?  

Not available online yet. I have to wait.

Funny, I was just thinking how there is hardly ever a mistake in the puzzle....

drummerboy said:

Not available online yet. I have to wait.

Funny, I was just thinking how there is hardly ever a mistake in the puzzle....

I’m doing the print version. Who knows if the error will appear digitally as well? Let me know if you spot it. It’s pretty apparent. 

Oh right. I imagine they can fix the digital version pretty easily. Wonder what they'll do?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I see a big glaring error in Sunday’s “The Mystery of McGuffin Manor” puzzle. Anyone else see it?  

Bracket instead of parenthesis after “through” in 83D clue.

No, really: 93-95D in the grid.

DaveSchmidt said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Bracket instead of parenthesis after “through” in 83D clue.

No, really: 93-95D in the grid.

Yeah, there are two 92s in the grid. 

BTW, it’s a fun one, folks. At least I thought so.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Featured Events

Advertise here!