The National Emergency Thread

Robert_Casotto

Fun Fact:  Bear means carry.


tom

And well-regulated means regulated.


Robert_Casotto

and right of the people means people.


drummerboy
Robert_Casotto said:
and right of the people means people.

 I think it means "right"


DaveSchmidt

I didn’t know there’d be a means test.


tom

"People" is plural. 


Robert_Casotto

How many “person” populates a Militia?  


Perhaps 2A was aimed at Rambo in First Blood.


tom

More than one. Just like when the "people" have a right to assemble. 

Fun fact: The founders spoke English. Better than you, I'll bet. 


DaveSchmidt
tom said:
"People" is plural. 

The word “people” is singular, as your linking verb suggests. More important, “right” is singular both ways, if I catch your grammatical drift.


Robert_Casotto

or the “people” have a right to privacy.


or the “people” have a right to travel.


or the “people” have a right to marry.


or the “people” have a right to protections against state endorsement of religion or infringement upon free exercise thereof.


or the “people” have a right to Due Process.


or the “people” have a right against unreasonable search and seizure.




drummerboy

yeah, people is still singular.

Anyway, looks like Trump is going to declare a National Emergency.

Fun times ahead.


tjohn
drummerboy said:
yeah, people is still singular.
Anyway, looks like Trump is going to declare a National Emergency.
Fun times ahead.

 Awesome. I expect the next Democratic president to declare a national emergency to deal with gun violence 


ridski
tjohn said:


drummerboy said:
yeah, people is still singular.
Anyway, looks like Trump is going to declare a National Emergency.
Fun times ahead.
 Awesome. I expect the next Democratic president to declare a national emergency to deal with gun violence 

 I expect the next Democratic president to declare a national emergency with gay abandon.


OH!!! I missed the "to deal with" bit.


jersey_boy

There's another emergency! Quick everyone get some bricks while I start mixing the mortar!

It's an emergency multi-year construction project! There's no time to deliberate!


LOST

If there is an "emergency" should people dial 911 when they see someone they suspect to be an "illegal alien"?


Morganna

This still feels like a bluff. Isn't he busy dining with Mrs. Trump? It is Valentine's Day.

.


Morganna

Always fun to hear from the mercurial Rand Paul. From The Washington Post:


Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticized the spending deal as “massive, bloated [and] secretive” and called the emergency declaration “extraconstitutional.”

“I, too, want stronger border security, including a wall in some areas. But how we do things matters,” Paul said in a statement. “Over 1,000 pages dropped in the middle of the night and extraconstitutional executive actions are wrong, no matter which party does them.”


tjohn
Morganna said:
Always fun to hear from the mercurial Rand Paul. From The Washington Post:


Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticized the spending deal as “massive, bloated [and] secretive” and called the emergency declaration “extraconstitutional.”
“I, too, want stronger border security, including a wall in some areas. But how we do things matters,” Paul said in a statement. “Over 1,000 pages dropped in the middle of the night and extraconstitutional executive actions are wrong, no matter which party does them.”

 Ah yes.  Rand Paul taking a principled stand before falling in line like a good Trumpist.


Formerlyjerseyjack
LOST said:
If there is an "emergency" should people dial 911 when they see someone they suspect to be an "illegal alien"?

 Good idea. Cindy McCain did that and she got on television. I ain't never been on television.


Formerlyjerseyjack
tjohn said:


Morganna said:
Always fun to hear from the mercurial Rand Paul. From The Washington Post:


Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) criticized the spending deal as “massive, bloated [and] secretive” and called the emergency declaration “extraconstitutional.”
“I, too, want stronger border security, including a wall in some areas. But how we do things matters,” Paul said in a statement. “Over 1,000 pages dropped in the middle of the night and extraconstitutional executive actions are wrong, no matter which party does them.”
 Ah yes.  Rand Paul taking a principled stand before falling in line like a good Trumpist.

 Don't worry. Susan Collins will straighten out the Orange A--hole.


LOST

When does this end?

When Trump orders all Latinos or all Muslims sent to Concentration Camps which members of the GOP will refuse to shout "Zeig Hiel"?


tjohn
LOST said:
When does this end?
When Trump orders all Latinos or all Muslims sent to Concentration Camps which members of the GOP will refuse to shout "Zeig Hiel"?

I find it rather bizarre that the House and Senate have not more clearly defined the conditions under which the President can declare a national emergency.  I would expect such a declaration to be limited to cases where Congress literally cannot act quickly enough to respond to the problem.  The last real national emergency I can think of occurred on 12/7/1941.  And before that, on 4/12/1861.

I suppose there could be a natural disaster severe enough to constitute a national emergency (e.g., a repeat of the New Madrid Earthquakes), but generally FEMA is already set up to respond to natural disasters.


DaveSchmidt
tjohn said:


I find it rather bizarre that the House and Senate have not more clearly defined the conditions under which the President can declare a national emergency.  I would expect such a declaration to be limited to cases where Congress literally cannot act quickly enough to respond to the problem.  The last real national emergency I can think of occurred on 12/7/1941.  And before that, on 4/12/1861.
I suppose there could be a natural disaster severe enough to constitute a national emergency (e.g., a repeat of the New Madrid Earthquakes), but generally FEMA is already set up to respond to natural disasters.

Not precisely to your point, but Congress did give itself an out that the Supreme Court later rejected:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/us/politics/trump-congress-national-emergency.amp.html



tjohn

Well, it will be interesting to see how many Trumpists make principled declarations against this action before falling back in line.


ml1
tjohn said:
Well, it will be interesting to see how many Trumpists make principled declarations against this action before falling back in line.

 all of them


LOST
tjohn said:


LOST said:
When does this end?
When Trump orders all Latinos or all Muslims sent to Concentration Camps which members of the GOP will refuse to shout "Zeig Hiel"?
I find it rather bizarre that the House and Senate have not more clearly defined the conditions under which the President can declare a national emergency.  I would expect such a declaration to be limited to cases where Congress literally cannot act quickly enough to respond to the problem.  The last real national emergency I can think of occurred on 12/7/1941.  And before that, on 4/12/1861.
I suppose there could be a natural disaster severe enough to constitute a national emergency (e.g., a repeat of the New Madrid Earthquakes), but generally FEMA is already set up to respond to natural disasters.

 Even this "National Emergency" doesn't appear to have been such:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/truman-declares-state-of-emergency


GL2

How f'ing dumb does one have to be to declare an emergency and then say "I didn't have to do that?"

Coulter is right: the real emergency is that the president is an idiot.

She's awful but she's honest enough to know and say that this declaration will never fly and is designed to appeal to DJT's "dumbest supporters."


Robert_Casotto

The sheer collection of intellect gathered on these pages brings me to tears, actually.


sprout
Robert_Casotto said:
The sheer collection of intellect gathered on these pages brings me to tears, actually.

And the sheer collection of comments you add containing zero substantive content appears to further validate this research:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914000324

Trolls just want to have fun

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures... cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.



PVW

I guess we'll get to find out a couple of things - do the president's words actually matter? As GL2 noted, Trump's saying things like "I didn't have to do that" pretty clearly undercut the idea that this is an emergency here, but then again his comments about his Muslim ban should've doomed that too.

Which leads to the second thing we'll get to find out -- to what degree are our justices judges first, and partisans second? Using a declaration of a national emergency to use funds Congress has quite clearly denied the executive, particularly when the president has flat out stated that this is what he's doing, doesn't seem like a particularly tricky legal question. Here's my prediction:


Supporting Trump:

- Thomas
- Alito


Opposing Trump:

- Ginsburg

- Breyer

- Kagan
- Sotomayor

- Roberts


I can't decide how I think Kavanaugh and Gorsuch will vote. I put the in lean Trump.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.