ok, boomer

My nieces are millennials and some of them have kids of their own. Wtf is he talking about?

ridski said:

My nieces are millennials and some of them have kids of their own. Wtf is he talking about?

The sources that Brooks refers to are talking about college age now and younger, so post-millennials. When he starts off by saying “over the past decades,” I read: two.

DaveSchmidt said:

The sources that Brooks refers to are talking about college age now and younger, so post-millennials. When he starts off by saying “over the past decades,” I read: two.

which means they have grown up with their families, friends and relatives facing all the challenges I listed. As usual, Brooks is speaking to and about a very small and very privileged slice of the U.S.

I broke my rule of not reading his columns. And every time I do, I remember why I had the rule. 

ml1 said:

which means they have grown up with their families, friends and relatives facing all the challenges I listed. As usual, Brooks is speaking to and about a very small and very privileged slice of the U.S.

An audience of about five million people who can spend at least $200 a year for a Times subscription is by definition a small, privileged slice of the U.S.

DaveSchmidt said:

An audience of about five million people who can spend at least $200 a year for a Times subscription is by definition a small, privileged slice of the U.S.

yeah.  I forgot that the Times doesn't even pretend that anything or anyone exists outside their bubble.  Explains why Brooks still has a job.

ml1 said:

yeah. I forgot that the Times doesn't even pretend that anything or anyone exists outside their bubble. Explains why Brooks still has a job.

You’re forgetful, and you break your own rules. Fair enough. Nobody’s perfect.

A columnist who had some thoughts about a niche group took his message to that niche group, disregarding Americans outside that group. Nobody’s perfect.

DaveSchmidt said:

You’re forgetful, and you break your own rules. Fair enough. Nobody’s perfect.

A columnist who had some thoughts about a niche group took his message to that niche group, disregarding Americans outside that group. Nobody’s perfect.

Perfect? Brooks should aspire to mediocre. 

whatever one thinks of Brooks generally, that particular column is a perfect example of why boomers get the "ok boomer" reaction from young people.  hell, that was my reaction to Brooks's column, and I AM a boomer.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.