New York Football Giants

Jets picked the right guy.  Not so sure about Giants.

Last three Senior Bowl MVPs: Davis Webb, Kyle Lauletta, Daniel Jones. I'm just sayin'...

They went after their guy.  You can argue that it's a reach, but he was their guy.  Time will tell if it was a good move or not.  I like the other 2 picks quite a bit. 

terp said:
They went after their guy.  You can argue that it's a reach, but he was their guy.  Time will tell if it was a good move or not.  I like the other 2 picks quite a bit. 

They could have had their guy with the 17th pick or even probably much later in the draft.  

Perhaps.  Though I've heard Cincy and Denver had their eye on him as well.  Gettlemen, definitely stuck his neck out a bit on this pick.  Hopefully, it works out.

Giants would have liked you to believe that and if Cincy wanted a QB they would have taken Haskens.  And Denver just got Flacco.   It might work out but if any of the picks between the giants two picks becomes a superstar this will always be second guessed.  

So, go for the slow-footed, weaker armed QB and pass up on the quicker, stronger QB (Haskins) all because the first dude was coached by someone who coached Peyton and Archie?

Daniel Jones is faster than Haskins.  He is not slow footed.

Oh boy. This is unbelievable 

mfpark said:
So, go for the slow-footed, weaker armed QB and pass up on the quicker, stronger QB (Haskins) all because the first dude was coached by someone who coached Peyton and Archie?

Haskins 40 yard dash time was brutal.  I could give him run for his money.

Am I crazy or is an accurate throwing arm a big plus? This guy doesn’t have it. The Giants are self imploding.

To be fair, Jones is taller, and the better athlete.  There are questions about Jones' consistency, which I think are fair.  

However, there is the supporting cast to take into account.  Jones is tough as nails.  He broke his collarbone, had screws inserted, and was back on the field 20 days later.  This definitely affected his performances, but he was out there leading his team.  

mfpark said:

And Cutcliffe remained tight with the Mannings, with annual clinics together throughout their careers. I wondered, too, if his input held some sway with the Meadowlands brain trust.

Dook/Gints. Perfect together.

Haskins ran the 40 only one-one hundredth of a second quicker than the 340 pound DT that the Giants drafted.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm loving these comparisons.

BTW: I believe those annual clinics are what led to the OBJ draft pick. 

DaveSchmidt said:
And Cutcliffe and the Mannings remained tight, with annual clinics together, throughout their careers. I wondered, too, if his input held some sway with the Meadowlands brain trust.
Dook/Gints. Perfect together.

we have our next Dave Brown!

ml1 said:
Haskins ran the 40 only one-one hundredth of a second quicker than the 340 pound DT that the Giants drafted.
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm loving these comparisons.

Haskins may turn out to be a good NFL quarterback.  However, I don't think that's any more of a lock than with Jones.   Outside of guys like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, etc QBs are a crap shoot. 

terp said:
Haskins may turn out to be a good NFL quarterback.  However, I don't think that's any more of a lock than with Jones.   Outside of guys like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, etc QBs are a crap shoot. 

yes.  I'm just having fun with his 40 time.  I don't think any of the guys drafted this year are a lock.  Apparently 3-4 teams in 2017 thought Patrick Mahomes was a lock.  The Giants were apparently one of them, but KC beat them to the punch in trading up for the 10th pick.  We could play what-if about that, but there's also no lock that the same guy would be a star on a different team with a different coach.

Well, we might not know for years.  Manning is still the starter and if the Giants have a decent season they will probably let Manning play another season or two.  Gettleman already hinted at that scenario.  Which makes the Jones pick at 6 even more baffling.  if you are sticking with Manning draft the best players to support him and then draft or trade for a QB next year.  

And to me the bigger question is why have they been sticking with Manning.  it has been average (at best) for several seasons now.  

mikescott said:
Well, we might not know for years.  Manning is still the starter and if the Giants have a decent season they will probably let Manning play another season or two.  Gettleman already hinted at that scenario.  Which makes the Jones pick at 6 even more baffling.  if you are sticking with Manning draft the best players to support him and then draft or trade for a QB next year.  
And to me the bigger question is why have they been sticking with Manning.  it has been average (at best) for several seasons now.  

The Giants didn't and don't want their 2021 QB to be Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins or even Daniel Jones. They want it to be Eli Manning. But his age and play demand that some sort of succession plan be put in place, if for no other reason, to shut the media and fans up.

In Jones, you have someone who’s close to the Manning family and smart enough not to make waves. As they spent such a high draft pick to get him, the team is committed to using Jones as the succession plan. But the universal opinion is that he’s not ready. So the team is “forced” into extending Eli (we’ll call it salary cap maneuver) for a couple of years. If you tried this with Haskins, he’d probably make a couple of highlight plays in preseason that would have fans clamoring for him to replace Eli. There’s little danger of that with Jones.

Of course, there is the question of why the Giants are so committed to Eli, but I’ve stopped trying to figure that one out. They believe that he’s Tom Brady except for the fact that he has worse players around him.

Chalmers -- well they could have just kept Davis Webb.  He certainly did not make waves.  

mikescott said:
Chalmers -- well they could have just kept Davis Webb.  He certainly did not make waves.  

Gettleman has eliminated nearly everyone one of Jerry Reese's draft picks and acquisitions.

It seems like the Giants overpaid for their pick in Jones. He would've been available at 17. Washington was going for Haskins all the way. If Gettleman got outmaneuvered by believing what other teams were saying about other QB's, putting the fear he'll lose Jones, then that's a shame. To think the Giants could've picked Ed Oliver or Josh Allen or a side-to-side linebacker like a Devin Bush makes me want to weep. Especially since a pass rusher it's an area of need. Their second pick, Dexter Lawrence, isn't bad and will totally stuff the run but the Giants will have issues getting to the QB. 

Pretty solid take on Daniel Jones. 

By picking Jones at #6, the Giants have put themselves in a no win situation.  In my opinion, Jones taken at #6 will be a failure if he's not starting the 2020 season.  Taken at #17 (and the Giants' second pick) I would have more patience.

It's odd, but I think if the Giants selected Dexter Lawrence with the #6 pick and Daniel Jones lasted until 17 & the Giants selected him there, there'd be much less talk about the pick. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.