Movie Talk

I saw Nomadland and I think it's definitely worth a watch. Interesting and sobering look at part of America that's pretty hidden from us.

drummerboy said:

I saw Nomadland and I think it's definitely worth a watch. Interesting and sobering look at part of America that's pretty hidden from us.

...but an Oscar shoo-in? 

eh. Who knows? McDormand probably has a good shot. Don't know about the movie.

Don't know about a shoo-in.  FM plays a somewhat grumpy, likable-despite-herself character that's she's been doing in other movies in recent years.  I like that character but I can't say this is a wow performance.  Would have to see the competition. 

I mentioned this on the "Best of 2020" thread since this thread was focusing on older films.

Here's a good list - Nomadland is #1 here:

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/50-best-movies-2020-critics-poll/lovers-rock/

I felt is was well done - just tired of Frances' roles.

I hope Lover's Rock and 40 year old version are contenders.  I think I'm going to check out Mank next.

jamie said:

I hope Lover's Rock and 40 year old version are contenders.  I think I'm going to check out Mank next.

I found Mank unwatchable. Not nearly as bad as Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Dreck but not good. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

jamie said:

I found Mank unwatchable. Not nearly as bad as Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Dreck but not good. 

That's too bad. I had been looking forward to Mank.

From the link:

Liked American Utopia a lot.  Don't see it as best pic material.   It's a filmed version of the stage show. 

Liked not loved Soul. 

Liked Palm Springs.  Very solid comedy but not best pic material.

The Borat sequel was better than I expected.  The man has nerve.  He could get himself killed with some of his prank appearances.

If you can get past the muddled first scene in the high school gym, Vast of Night was a pretty good Twilight Zone tribute of a movie.

I held off on Mank and saw Judas and the Black Messiah - well done.   But not one of my top picks.

Also, worth a watch: First Cow, The Whistlers, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Dick Johnson is Dead & I'm Thinking of Ending Things.  I think these are all streaming and have been on several best of lists.

I saw Nomadland last night and I liked it very much. As social/political commentary it was very quiet but powerful. The impact the economy has had on citizens is made very clear. Bob's speech at the end was heart-breaking. I recommend it. Very sad and very melancholy. The acting was all very natural - many of the cast were not actors but real "nomads."  Oscar-worthy? Maybe. 

I really want to see Minari and Promising Young Woman - but they're both $20 to stream.  They'd probably make more if they streamed them for $5.99.

jamie said:

I really want to see Minari and Promising Young Woman - but they're both $20 to stream.  They'd probably make more if they streamed them for $5.99.

I saw them both in theaters. Paid half that, as a senior. I recommend them both. 

drummerboy said:

That's too bad. I had been looking forward to Mank.

I really enjoyed Mank, FWIW.

On the Superman front, Ta Nehisi Coates has been signed to write a Superman reboot.

The United States vs Billie Holidays was really good, well deserved win for Andra Day.

As for the recap from the Golden Globes - Nomadland took best picture and did Best Director.

Glad Small Axe was recognized and got a Supporting actor win in Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television.  Weird that certain episodes made it to several best picture lists from some reviewers.  So, not sure how exactly they'll be categorized for Oscar consideration.  I really like the Mangrove and Lover's Rock episodes, but I would of had a hard time watching them without closed captions, really strong West Indian accents.

Borat got best comedy or musical.  I liked it - but I liked Palm springs a bit more.

Best supporting actors went to Daniel Kaluuya - "Judas and the Black Messiah" & Jodie Foster - "The Mauritanian"

Has anyone seen The Mauritanian - this one wasn't on my radar.  Judas and the Black Messiah was good.

Best Foreign Movie - Minari.  Which I hope to see when it's not $20 to rent.  grin

Best Motion Picture -- Animated - "Soul" - This was one of my faves.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture -- Drama
Chadwick Boseman, - "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"

Best Actress in a Motion Picture -- Drama
Andra Day - "The United States vs. Billie Holiday"

Best Actress in a Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy
Rosamund Pike - "I Care A Lot"

Best Actor in a Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy
Sacha Baron Cohen - "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm"

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (on TCM last night)

While the movie itself raises, um, some moral questions (though feminism does win out), that barn raising dance still kicks major butt.

And why does Howard Keel look like he's seven feet tall?

Plus, I love those shirts. Best shirts ever.

drummerboy said:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (on TCM last night)

While the movie itself raises, um, some moral questions (though feminism does win out), that barn raising dance still kicks major butt.

And why does Howard Keel look like he's seven feet tall?

Plus, I love those shirts. Best shirts ever.

TOO funny.  Come on, say it - What moral questions are you talking about, pray tell?  

You could say that about so many movies from that time period, by the way.  We could almost start another whole thread dissecting some great movies with stomach churning premises and dialogue.  This is not the place, but I'm game if you are (hey now!).  

I would agree on this film.  What's a guy got to do to get laid in this town? Steal a bunch of sisters, that's what.  

In a different vein, I just watched Magnum Force.  A bit more violent than I thought it was, but Harry always has his suit buttoned up and looks sharp and the ultimate in cool with those shades.  Talk about tall - I read somewhere that they used to dig trenches for his scenes in the old Spaghetti Westerns he was in.

Certainly there were tons of movies back in the day with problematic depictions of the sexes, but I can't think of a more famous and acclaimed movie built around a more misogynistic plot. While Millie is an undoubtedly strong woman character, the other 6 are not - they end up falling in love with their abductors. I guess the lighthearted approach softened the blatant sexism.

But even back in the 50's that should have given some producers pause. And maybe it did. Who knows?

Still, I'm a fan of the film, though I tend to skip through some of the less thrilling songs. And I do cringe now and again.

TheJmon said:

I don't get it. Why did you post that?

I really like A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix about National Lampoon.  Followed up with a re-watching of Caddyshack.  

jamie said:

I really like A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix about National Lampoon.  Followed up with a re-watching of Caddyshack.  

Is that based on the book by a different name? I'd have to dig out my copy, but National Lampoon is awesome.  I even remember the National Lampoon Radio Hour, which makes me very old.  

drummerboy said:

Certainly there were tons of movies back in the day with problematic depictions of the sexes, but I can't think of a more famous and acclaimed movie built around a more misogynistic plot. While Millie is an undoubtedly strong woman character, the other 6 are not - they end up falling in love with their abductors. I guess the lighthearted approach softened the blatant sexism.

But even back in the 50's that should have given some producers pause. And maybe it did. Who knows?

Still, I'm a fan of the film, though I tend to skip through some of the less thrilling songs. And I do cringe now and again.

On old movies and TV, I haven't watched much John Wayne, so a couple of months back I watched The Searchers. And on the one hand, I can see why it's a classic and I'm glad I watched it, but otoh, holy cow I don't think I realized quite how blatant racism used to be.

Shortly after that I started watching the original Star Trek. It's an interesting compare and contrast time capsule. Worlds away, metaphorically and in story line, being on the progressive end of midcentury culture, and yet not so different (still arguably the same genre, just in space -- heck, some episodes literally are set as "westerns"), but what's been most notable with Trek is watching them try to figure out what to do with female characters. The subtext of the series often feels like the "final frontier" is "blond or brunette?".

Does make me wonder what people looking back on pop culture from our era will see as our obvious blind spots and limitations.

Politics and contemporary propriety be damned, i LOVE Guys and Dolls.  Worth the price just to hear the guy (Johnny Silver?) say "noos."  And beyond that you get Sinatra, Brando (hilarious) and Miss Adelaide's Lament and and and.

So thanks for posting, improved my afternoon!

db, i'm not looking it up, but weren't there many? cases where women took the train out west to marry or keep house, sight unseen?  a new chance for some, however iffy? (actual abduction another thing, of course.  to be honest i barely remember the movie.)

mjc said:

db, i'm not looking it up, but weren't there many? cases where women took the train out west to marry or keep house, sight unseen?  a new chance for some, however iffy? (actual abduction another thing, of course.  to be honest i barely remember the movie.)

I'm not familiar with that history myself, but I'm sure that, or something like it, happened. But in those cases the women were at least acting on their own.

Seven Brides was actually based on the ancient Roman myth The Rape of the Sabine Women. They even sing a song about it, called Sobbin' Women.

interesting, thanks

I don't watch very many musicals but enjoyed Mama Mia again. The first time I caught it on HBO, I was surprised at how many of the songs I liked and sent away for the CD. I love Amanda Seyfried's voice.  I realize it's out of step with the classics that are mentioned but it makes me want to jump up and dance with the cast and sing along. 

I just came across this Comedy Actors Roundtable video. Haven't watched it all yet, and maybe it sucks, but look at the lineup:

Timothy Simons ('Veep'), Sacha Baron Cohen ('Who Is America?), Henry Winkler ('Barry'), Don Cheadle ('Black Monday'), Jim Carrey ('Kidding'), and Ted Danson ('The Good Place') join Close Up with The Hollywood Reporter for this season's FULL, uncensored Comedy Actors Roundtable.

Worth a look I think.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.