MOL updates - please report issues here.

Joan  -  on the main forum publicrelations from the  MGC posted Speakers Program via Zoom. Posted at 11:25 am yesterday. Also I think it’s a photo of Joy Yagid. This is for 9/14 meeting. I know this is not the calendar but it should make readers aware.

galileo said:

Joan  -  on the main forum publicrelations from the  MGC posted Speakers Program via Zoom. Posted at 11:25 am yesterday. Also I think it’s a photo of Joy Yagid. This is for 9/14 meeting. I know this is not the calendar but it should make readers aware.

I know that MGC meeting is posted in a thread on the discussion board.  Issue is more general.  If street address is still a required field on the form used to post an event, then that poses a problem during the COVID - 19 period when most events are being held exclusively online.  If other groups are going to be able to add virtual events to the calendar, an online option for address is going to be necessary.

joan_crystal said:

A friend who does publicity for the Maplewood Garden Club tried posting their event for this evening on the MOL calendar and received a message that the posting of the event had been denied with no reason given.  Her thread on the forum section was accepted with no problem.  Is this a problem with the calendar or was there some other reason why the garden club event could not be posted?  Can you please let her know.  She tells me that she left a phone message for you on your answering machine.  The event is this evening so it may be difficult to rectify the problem in time.  If it is a global problem, resolving it could help future MOL members who have events to share.  Thank you.

ETA: I was speaking with my friend further, it appears that the problem is that the garden club meeting is being held virtually. Thus there is no physical address. I seem remember that on the event form physical address is a required field. Would it be possible to revise this form during COVID to make "virtual" acceptable as an option? So few events are being held in person these days.

All fixed - I spoke with her - I overlooked these events for approval.  I may add a virtual category.  If there's no specific address - you can just type the town name in the address field.

Jamie:  Thank you so much!

Screen is squeezed lately. Right side is cut off.  Ads encroaching?

jimmurphy said:

Screen is squeezed lately. Right side is cut off.  Ads encroaching?

What type of device was this on?

IPhone running latest OS.

Jamie,

This morning I sent a private message to another user.  The instant I sent it, it showed up as 'read' in my messages listing.  I find that hard to believe?

You would have read your own message the minute you sent it.  You won't know whether or not the other person has read it.

The "Is read?" column will show you how many comments within a discussion you haven't read.  Maybe we should rename the column "Unread comments" and just show the number.

jimmurphy said:

IPhone running latest OS.

Thanks for the updates on this - can you tell me what iphone you have?  I'm not getting this on mine.  I have iPhone 8 plus.  Any other Iphone users out there getting this bug?  TIA

jamie said:

You would have read your own message the minute you sent it.  You won't know whether or not the other person has read it.

The "Is read?" column will show you how many comments within a discussion you haven't read.  Maybe we should rename the column "Unread comments" and just show the number.

Please keep it the way it is.  This is the only way I can tell if someone I have contacted has read my message.

There is no way of knowing if the other person has read your message.  Unread refers to if YOU have read it or not.

A know in the read column tells me there is an unread message in the thread.  Since messages I post are marked "Yes" I know the "No" refers to a message the other person has not read.  

If the Is Read column is marked as yes - it does not mean the other person has read it.  There is no indication to you that the other person has read it or not.

This is why I'll remove the Yes/no and only indicate # of unread comment you haven't read as of yet and change the header.

Ok I changed it to "Your unread comments".  But this could be misconstrued also.  It's purpose is to show YOU how many comments within a message YOU haven't read yet.

The main purpose was for it to work similar to how we show # of unread comments in a thread.  It's only shows the # you haven't read.

jamie said:

Thanks for the updates on this - can you tell me what iphone you have?  I'm not getting this on mine.  I have iPhone 8 plus.  Any other Iphone users out there getting this bug?  TIA

I’m on an iPhone 11 Pro. Generally use Chrome. Seems better last 2 days.

Jamie,

It would be very useful to know, whether the recipient has read your message or not.

I recently sent a subscriber a message, regarding a very poor meal at his restaurant.  I thought he had read it, but now I don't know.

Private message are handled similar to email.  If people want them handled similar to FB messenger - that will take a bit of development.

We may be able to note if a message was read by the other person.  But one note on this - users automatically get email notifications by default for private messages, so there's a good chance the person got the message via email but did not log in to their account to read it.

I'll have to think this over.

I'm having a minor, weird problem which appears to only be happening in Firefox. Started about a week ago, maybe a bit more.

When I open a thread that I've participated in, instead of positioning my browser to the first unread post,  it positions me in a big white space area at the end of the page, where I can't see any posts at all, and then I have to scroll up to find the last post I read.

I tested in Chrome and it works normally there.

Sundays said:

Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6) + Firefox (71).

It's my habit to CMD+Click on links to open links in a new tab while staying on the original page. Problem is I can only do this for one link because doing so gets the orange crescent on the original page that never goes away. IOW, I can only open one tab without having to refresh the page.

Okay, same methodology (cmd+click on links to open in a new tab (now Firefox 82.03). The problem now is that the new tabs open and often appear to be a blank white page. But if I scroll up it becomes apparent that the page loaded at the very bottom of the page. It should take me to either the top of the page if it's my first time reading the thread, or the next new post, in the case of a previously read thread.

Jamie, would there be any reason I cannot upload images from my tablet anymore?  Galaxy tab 510 running Android 10. Can't upload weather maps, to be specific.  Been a couple of months now. Can upload them fine from my PC.

Thanks for the heads up - no reason that I can think of.  I'll look into it.

max_weisenfeld said:

Jamie, would there be any reason I cannot upload images from my tablet anymore?  Galaxy tab 510 running Android 10. Can't upload weather maps, to be specific.  Been a couple of months now. Can upload them fine from my PC.

Just made a tweak - it may have helped with this issue.  Please test.

jamie said:

max_weisenfeld said:

Just made a tweak - it may have helped with this issue.  Please test.

Still no.

What happens (what I'm doing) is I tap the attachment box, it takes me to files, and when I select the image file (jpeg or png) it crashes out of the pop-up window, back to the forum thread, usually having also lost my text entry.

Thanks for the additional details - I passed this on to our developers and they'll look into it.

It's always trickier when it's unique to one device and harder to recreate on our end.  If anyone else has encountered a similar issue - please let me know.  If we can identify more devices with the issue it will be easier to pin down.   

I had a strange problem this morning trying to upload a webp image. I uploaded two images, a jpeg and a webp, and neither one showed up in the post.

I then uploaded the webp by itself, and it didn't show up.

I uploaded the jpeg by itself and it was fine.

I then uploaded two jpegs and they both appeared in the post.

Looks like the webp format is confusing things.

yes - webp isn't supported at the moment.  It will show in the upload - but it doesn't post.

jamie said:

yes - webp isn't supported at the moment.  It will show in the upload - but it doesn't post.

well that explains it then.   grin

yeah - I was trying to figure this out last week - haven't been able to pin this one down.

I see this format is popping up more often lately.  As an aside - I researched this further and I used to work for the company that was behind this algorithm - On2.  If you watch Silicon Valley- we were the Pied Piper of our day.  The compression technology was more for Video - and is still used in many applications today.  Funny that it took so long for the technology to be applied for images.  They were eventually bought out by Google.  Most of the content served by Google’s YouTube is compressed with On2's VP8/VP9 technology.

Yeah, I loved Silicon Valley. I think the scene setting up the "in-out" algorithm is one of the cleverest plus raunchiest things I've ever seen. (I can't give more details, as this is a family friendly place.)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!