Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

bub said:

It's Amazin, in a bad way.  Of course, if there's no season, the loss will be limited but on balance, I want to see some ball playing ASAP.

Trump says he'll be back by Easter. 

RIP Claudell Washington. Hit longest Met HR I ever saw live, off the big Shea scoreboard. Only one further was I saw McGwire break a bulb higher up on the same scoreboard in '98.

That's a good start.  

FilmCarp said:

That's a good start.  

and another no-decision for deGrom. Some things never change. 

My fave stat from today: Cespedes has now homered in three consecutive games -- May 13, 2018, July 20, 2018 and July 24, 2020.

“It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”

― A. Bartlett Giamatti, Take Time For Paradise: Americans And Their Games

First DH to homer in a game between...

2 AL teams: Tony Oliva.

Interleague teams: Rickey Henderson.

2 NL teams: Yoenis Cespedes. 

He had two strikes on the guy.....

Much like last year, except now our #2 starter is Matz.  He did fine, but ugh.

News flash: Mets still suck.  Retread pitchers just as bad as they were last year.  Film at 11.

Porcello was ... rancid. 

Bring back Bartolo.

Jeez the way you guys were commenting I thought maybe the game was over. Don't give up!

Wacha was good last night.  Familia was the same.  And as of now no starter announced for tonight. 

I predict the season ends before we get to 20 games. The Marlins thing is just the start. 

Soul_29 said:

I predict the season ends before we get to 20 games. The Marlins thing is just the start. 

this is a very real possibility.  

Did anybody else find it odd that they were all high fiving? I would have figured they would be extra careful after what happened with the Marlins. I guess according to Nimmo the Mets have the best protocols. 

jfinnegan said:

Did anybody else find it odd that they were all high fiving? I would have figured they would be extra careful after what happened with the Marlins. I guess according to Nimmo the Mets have the best protocols. 

It is important to remember that these guys are very young.  They are just not going to be able to stop doing what they have done for their whole lives.  I don't think anyone is looking out for them.  They are all looking at money first.  

Definitely. Manfred seems to have no clue of what to do? Is there any protocol in place where they have a team stop playing if they have a certain amount of positives? The Nats have already voted to not go to Miami this weekend. At what point do they tell the Marlins their season is over or do they tell the Marlins to play somewhere else? Somerset and Montclair have nice stadiums. 

jfinnegan said:

Definitely. Manfred seems to have no clue of what to do? Is there any protocol in place where they have a team stop playing if they have a certain amount of positives? The Nats have already voted to not go to Miami this weekend. At what point do they tell the Marlins their season is over or do they tell the Marlins to play somewhere else? Somerset and Montclair have nice stadiums. 

But they would need to quarantine for two weeks after coming to NJ from Florida.

They're probably not going to be playing for 2 weeks anyway and no teams want to go to Miami. I wonder if the Yankees had this outbreak if MLB would have shutdown. 

Well, they got deGrom his run for the night.

It took them only a week for me to be done watching them. How many more years do they have Diaz? 

jfinnegan said:

It took them only a week for me to be done watching them.

Took my team only three days for everyone to be done watching them. 

Unfortunately I think that might be the case for every team soon. The Cards and Brewers got postponed today as well. 

Five yrs ago today, at Giants training camp, I got to meet Benigno and Roberts, who were doing their show from there on MLB trade deadline day. I asked them if the Mets had done anything, to which Joe replied, "What do you think. God forbid." Seconds later, Evan bellowed, "The Mets got Cespedes!"

I hadn't listened to WFAN in a while and when I did turn it on about a month ago Benigno said if you're going to get the Coronavirus you're going to get it. There's nothing to do about it. I haven't turned on WFAN since, though I could go for some Somers.

Ah yes, the famous virology expert Joe Beningo. What a maroon.

I wonder how many WFAN listeners heard him say that and had their own stupid preconceptions confirmed. 

I wonder if the outbreaks among young healthy athletes will bring some people to their senses. 

mrincredible said:

I wonder if the outbreaks among young healthy athletes will bring some people to their senses.

In comments on the Philadelphia Inquirer website, the theme from people who need to be brought to their senses continues to be that the survival rate among young healthy athletes will be 100 percent, with very few suffering any symptoms at all, so ... play ball!

Apologies. I only meant to reflect on the anniversary of acquiring Cespedes and the ensuing run of 2015. Better times.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.