Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

enjoying this respite from the god awful Michael Kaye.  Although the Mets may be horrible, their broadcasters are so much better than what the Yankees put out there.

Robert_Casotto said:
enjoying this respite from the god awful Michael Kaye.  Although the Mets may be horrible, their broadcasters are so much better than what the Yankees put out there.

I enjoy the Michael Kaye show on ESPN Radio. No one was more surprised than me. Kaye seems like a decent guy and I wish him a speedy recovery. 

put Alonso's cousin in the bullpen. He had more movement on his pitches than at least half the guys they have out there.

Soul_29 said:
 I enjoy the Michael Kaye show on ESPN Radio. No one was more surprised than me. Kaye seems like a decent guy and I wish him a speedy recovery. 

So much easier to listen to than the blowhard on FAN.

this turned out to be some damn good advice

I need a break from this.  Serving up a homer to a 188 hitter after about 5 throws to first with the pitcher on first.   Just too embarrassing.

The Curse of d'Arnaud!

Im glad the change of scenery has helped him.  He was never a bad guy, just not a great player.  

Oh well, at least Jay Bruce seems to be coming back to earth.  0 for his last 12, I think.

Travis always seemed like a good guy. 

Can you imagine if Alonso bought that nonsense about Citi Field?  Gotta hand it to the Met propaganda office, though.

1 for 13 with 8 strikeouts since the derby.

Train_of_Thought said:
1 for 13 with 8 strikeouts since the derby.

Never mind. grin

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-alonso-s-474-ft-hr?t=statcast

Ya' mean this one?   Yet still he was only 1 for 6.  Still in a bit of a slump, but an 0.978 OPS with 71 RBIs -- I will take that from a rookie any day.

Did you see that homer? Geez...meanwhile, Dom Smith is putting together a pretty nice season. 

What impressed me was the series of two out hits.  

Anyone know who tonight's radio announcer is with Randazzo? Howie is off.

NotoriousEAM said:
Did you see that homer? Geez...meanwhile, Dom Smith is putting together a pretty nice season. 

Smith is showing an impressive character as well.  When he came up in 2017 he was supposed to be the power hitting first baseman for the Mets for years.  Only he could not figure out MLB pitching.  He seemed to have a slow bat, he seemed to not be in great shape.  Same thing in 2018,  I was among those saying he was a bust, a good minor league player but not more than that.

This Spring the Mets and their fans turned their hopes to Alonso and Smith looked destined for release.  But he came into camp fired up and in great shape, he played really well--although Alonso played even better--and he and Pete seemed to get along great despite the competition.  

Smith played so well that they put him in the Bigs even though Alonso had first base sewn up.  And Smith has played well so far despite being a utility outfielder at a new position.  

More than this, I have not seen any press about him grousing about his limited playing time or losing out to the eventual ROY.  He does his job, cheers on his teammates, and keeps his mouth zipped.  He is showing great character.

Of course, Smith is now subject to trade rumors.  He has got the interest of other teams with a solid bat, power, and flexibility to play both first and left field.  Oh, and he is under team control for years.  I am not a scout or front office guy, but I think I would rather see the Mets keep Smith and trade Conforto if they feel the need to move assets for prospects.

Smith is a great turn around story this year, both in attitude and performance, understandably obscured somewhat by the performances of McNeil and Alonso.   But unless you're really sure he can be an OF or play another position, he may be the best trade option, no?  I'm not sure what Conforto is worth now.     

Smith was diagnosed with sleep apnea and did what he had to do to take care of that. 

It's amazing to think that the sleep apnea treatment may have turned around his performance and attitude.  

Soul_29 said:
Smith was diagnosed with sleep apnea and did what he had to do to take care of that. 

Now if he can do what he has to do to take of his catchthefreakingballnea.

jeffl said:
What do you make of this?!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-mets-reportedly-land-marcus-stroman-in-shocking-blockbuster-with-blue-jays/amp/

It means that Wheeler is going away this week for prospects.  I'm ok with deal.  It's always better to have a relatively young proven player like Stroman than to wait for prospects, even if they're as promising as Kay. 

I think it also makes all three of the Mets available starters more valuable.  Other teams have fewer places to turn for a starter.

They’ve cornered the market on top line starters.  And they didn’t give up a lot.  Do you think this makes them competitive this year?  I don’t follow them enough to know. 

I'd think Thor and/or Wheeler are gone. Probably Diaz, too. Assuming they'll get near-ready assets for a top-line starter, the Mets would probably commit to Stroman, right? I didn't realize Dom Smith was being scouted by other teams. I'd keep him for all the reasons mfpark cited.

I can see Wheeler going for prospects now that Stroman can slide into his spot.

I hope like hell that they hang onto Thor who is controllable for another two seasons.

I do not think that the Mets are planning on a serious run for this October, so I see Stroman as another part of the puzzle for next year.  And he came at a relatively low cost, and has another year of club control.

If the Mets can pick up or find a decent closer and a few middle inning relievers they are going to be an interesting team next year.  They are set at catcher, first, short, and right field.  They have three good starting pitchers.  If Dom Smith and Conforto remain healthy they are reasonably solid outfielders.  This can be a good to even a very good team with a few more parts added in.

I think trading Diaz hastily could be a mistake, despite his struggles this season. I hope they don't.

Wheeler is not worth a lot on the market.  He is a free agent this year.  Syndagaard is the big draw, but everyone keeps talking about San Diego and this young second base prospect.  The Mets already play everyone out of position.  Why would they want a third second baseman?

They should move Frazier and Smith, who might bring some return.  I love Smith, but there is nowhere to play him and their defense is too weak to keep moving guys around.

Vargas to Phillies for a minor league catcher.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.