Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I'm giddy thinking about the possibility of Realmuto being on the Mets. But what becomes of our outfield now? Would you sign McCutcheon? Probably get him on the cheap. He's available.

I think in February there are going to be 10 or 15 outfielders looking for work.  I'd fill that spot dead last.  If (big if) Cespedes comes back they don't need an expensive outfielder on the bench.

I still like Lagares.

So do I, but not on the DL.

People throw around "injury prone" like its a birthmark.  some injuries are recurring or reflect some intrinsic physical weakness.  I don't see running into a wall and breaking your toe as being that kind of thing.  

bub said:
People throw around "injury prone" like its a birthmark.  some injuries are recurring or reflect some intrinsic physical weakness.  I don't see running into a wall and breaking your toe as being that kind of thing.  

The most important ability is "Availability". 

Lagares, like most players, benefit most by getting at bats. Even if healthy, he'll be part of a rotation of players in center field. We'll probably never see him realize his full potential. He's probably our best outfielder on defense and seems, at times, to be a solid hitter. The Mets expected more from him, I guess. I agree with FilmCarp: there will be some people sitting around waiting for a job, although I doubt McCutcheon will be one of them. I kind of like Hunter Pence, who is a free agent. I think he spent some time on the disabled list last year and is a career .280 hitter. And Melky Cabrera might still be around and he's a .286 career hitter. Both, of course, are 34 or 35 years old. :-( 

What about signing Billy Hamilton? I know his OBP is low, but he brings some speed to the team and is a good defensive centerfielder.

jfinnegan said:
What about signing Billy Hamilton? I know his OBP is low, but he brings some speed to the team and is a good defensive centerfielder.

might as well just hang on to Lagares 

In an ideal world, though, anyone you sign is only for half a season if Cespedes comes back.  I wouldn't sink much money there.

...If Cespedes comes back.....He is starting to seem like David Wright, only without the motivation.

mfpark said:
...If Cespedes comes back.....He is starting to seem like David Wright, only without the motivation.

I don't think this is a fair comment.  The guy played for years through heel spurs, so there's an explanation for his looking like he wasn't trying at times.  Let's see how he rehabs, if and when he comes back, and how he plays if he makes it back.

Perhaps a cheap shot.  But I have read perhaps incorrect reports that he has been dogging his rehab.  Could be wrong.  I also sense he will never play a full time role again, if ever.

mfpark said:
Perhaps a cheap shot.  But I have read perhaps incorrect reports that he has been dogging his rehab.  Could be wrong.  I also sense he will never play a full time role again, if ever.

he had his second surgery at the end of October, roughly 5 weeks ago.  So anyone already saying he's "dogging" his rehab is likely someone with some sort of ax to grind.

I won't knock the guy, I'm just saying it hamstrings the Mets in the outfield.  If he comes back fully he is as good or better than anyone realistically available to the Mets.  So it wouldn't be good to have another $10 million sitting on the bench after July, if they sign an outfielder.  I'd rather see a catcher, and more bullpen help.  The outfield will be okay.

Tebow can hold Yoenis's spot.  cheese 

Train_of_Thought said:

on line for Stones tickets?

What is the projected timeline for Cespedes' return? After the All Star break? He should come back when he's 100%. If they actually get Realmuto, perhaps he and Cano could make up for some of the missing power.

Train_of_Thought said:

A rare off-season suspension!

Train: Hit the showers and we'll see you in two weeks. 

(under my breath -- Two weeks? Who does he think I am, Cano?!)

Don't look now Mets' fans, but the Astros are heavy in the hunt for Realmuto and they have the prospects to make it happen.  They also are chasing Cervilli of the Pirates, who will be less costly, and they do have two other catchers on their roster.  But I would not assume Realmuto to the Mets is anything like close at this point in time.

Mets, Yanks, and Marlins in a three-way?  Sounds kinky.  Would the Mets really give up Noah (3 years of club control) for Realmuto (2 years of club control) and then watch him throw BBs for the Yankees across town?  

Maybe if they can do a sign and extend with Realmuto, but if not, fuggedaboudit!

NotoriousEAM said:

Would you sign McCutcheon? Probably get him on the cheap. He's available.

I would.

I don't think the deal he got from Philly was "on the cheap".

I've lost all sense of what's cheap in baseball anymore. Is ~$16M a year cheap for a guy with his chops?

It seems expensive to me when 32 year old outfielders are looking for gigs in April.  

Have money, will spend.

And, yep, I think McCutchen is going to earn that pay.

DaveSchmidt said:
Have money, will spend.
And, yep, I think McCutchen is going to earn that pay.

Agreed.  As I said elsewhere,he will give them 150 games, 20-25 homers, good corner defense, and a 360+ OBP.  And they still have the ability to add Machado or Harper if they can land one of them.  Oh, and they have a bunch of young MLB tested and/or ready outfielders to trade for middle pitching.  He doesn't have the speed he once had, but he is still a good baserunner.  The Phillies had the ability to do this where other teams did not, so it makes sense for them.

I totally agree with mfpark. I like the signing. McCutcheon can be a streaky hitter but he'll probably hit 20 homers and bat .275-.280. And it's a favorable ballpark for him. His defense is solid. He can swipe a bag, if needed. I was hoping the Mets would go after him (thinking they were on the verge of trading away Nimmo plus others for Realmuto).

I am starting to hope that the Mets pass on Realmuto or perhaps the Marlins opt for a different team.  He only has two more years of control and, when you think of it, a cheaper decent defensive catcher for a year is not a bad idea with this great staff, as opposed to what Realmuto will cost the Mets to secure.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Featured Events

Advertise here!