Maplewood Memorial Day Ceremony 2021

There will be no parade this year.  There will be a traditional ceremony open to the public on the steps of town hall on May 31, 2021 at 11 am.  Hope to see you there.

Thanks Joan. I assumed there wasn't going to be a parade (mostly because we'd have heard about it from you by now), but I haven't seen anything about a ceremony until you posted this.

There was no publicity for the Memorial Day Ceremony this year, which is why I posted the information here and on other media sites.  I would not have heard about it at all if it hadn't been mentioned in passing at the most recent TC  meeting.  I urge everyone to come if you will be around on Monday.  

Looking ahead to July - does it look like we might have 4th of July festivities?

Last year due to COVID - 19 restrictions, the Maplewood Memorial Day Ceremony was a private affair held by Maplewood Memorial Post 10120 VFW members in a secret location to keep the number of people attending to a safe minimum. This year, as we near herd immunity in Maplewood, the ceremony will be far more public, with everyone invited to attend.  However, publicity for this year's ceremony has been far too limited.  Please come if you can and please pass the word along to anyone you know who might like to take a few minutes to remember those members of our armed forces who are now absent with leave.  Hoping to see many of you at the newly named Jerry Ryan Plaza aka the steps of town hall.

This morning. Thanks again for the head’s up, Joan. 

I arrived a few minutes late. Traditionally I expect Taps to be played at the end, but it was not. Did I miss it at the beginning?

mrmaplewood said:

I arrived a few minutes late. Traditionally I expect Taps to be played at the end, but it was not. Did I miss it at the beginning?

No you did not.  This was not the traditional Memorial Day ceremony.  There was no laying of the wreath or reading of the names of veterans who passed in past year.  Most disconcerting, the only VFW member I saw present was the Post Commander who spoke during the ceremony.  I am guessing that the plans were made at the last minute when it appeared likely that a public event held out of doors would be possible given the relaxation of pandemic-related restrictions.

Next year in Maplewood.  

(The musician was a trumpet player.  This is the traditional instrument for playing Taps.)

Taps is usually played at the conclusion of the wreath laying ceremony, which was not held this year. I'm just grateful that there was a Memorial Day Ceremony this year and that it could be held publicly.  Hopefully, next year we can return to a more traditional ceremony of remembrance.

As the VFW Commander mentioned in his remarks, the VFW post was only able to meet in person again just recently. With so much uncertainty just a week before Memorial Day, I'd rather appreciate the accomplishment (a ceremony that honored those who served) instead of what details weren't part of it.

Pretty sure this group of Township officials would be the type to spit on soldiers coming home. 

Mountainchef said:

Pretty sure this group of Township officials would be the type to spit on soldiers coming home. 

The Memorial Day Ceremony is planned and administered by Maplewood Memorial Post 10120, not the township.  

Mountainchef said:

Whoa guy.  Save it for the politics thread.

Mountainchef is 100% wrong and 100% ignorant.  Sorry Joan as I know Memorial Day is a special day for you, but I cannot let such an odious comment on MOL pass unchallenged.  

My comment in no way is directed to Joan. I could only wish she were a part of elected township committee. 

RobertRoe said:

Mountainchef is 100% wrong and 100% ignorant.  Sorry Joan as I know Memorial Day is a special day for you, but I cannot let such an odious comment on MOL pass unchallenged.  

When I was running the Memorial Day Parade and assisting Bernie in planning for the Memorial Day Ceremony, I always welcomed feedback since it helped improve the event for the following year.  I am saddened rather than outraged that @Mountainchief or anyone else found this year's ceremony failed to satisfy his/her need to commemorate the passing of those who served our country in the military.  

As was written above, concern for the healthy and safety of the living, which lead to waiting until the last minute to put a public ceremony together, meant that some of our long standing traditions were absent this year.  If anyone has constructive suggestions for how the ceremony can be improved for next year, please forward them to Maplewood Memorial Post 10120.  If you can, please volunteer to help with next year's planning so these suggestions can be implemented.

Mountainchef said:

We need a dislike button.  This is both wrong and uncalled for!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.