Life Surrounded by Mountains in Central Chile

In my province there are seven active forest fires as I write, all intentionally set.  Thus far 3,500 hectares have been burned, or 8,648 acres, many in a national park (not ours) which has native species of trees which are extremely slow growing.  What we have in this region is an esclerofilo forest, sorry, I don't know how to say that in English, and I just heard the Minister of Agriculture on tv say that it will take 100 years to recuperate the trees in the park.   But the palm trees take hundreds of years to grow to maturity, and some are millennials.  

The forest could grow back if we had water, but we don't, and because of climate change, we may never get the forest back.  For a long time they have been saying that the region where I live, which used to be sub-tropical, will become a desert just like the north of Chile.  The desert's growth has been stopped in Central Chile by the Aconcagua River which brings us water from the Andes, but this year it didn't snow much in the Andes, hence our drought.  

Copihue said:

In my province there are seven active forest fires as I write, all intentionally set.  Thus far 3,500 hectares have been burned, or 8,648 acres, many in a national park (not ours) which has native species of trees which are extremely slow growing.  What we have in this region is an esclerofilo forest, sorry, I don't know how to say that in English, and I just heard the Minister of Agriculture on tv say that it will take 100 years to recuperate the trees in the park.   But the palm trees take hundreds of years to grow to maturity, and some are millennials.  

The forest could grow back if we had water, but we don't, and because of climate change, we may never get the forest back.  For a long time they have been saying that the region where I live, which used to be sub-tropical, will become a desert just like the north of Chile.  The desert's growth has been stopped in Central Chile by the Aconcagua River which brings us water from the Andes, but this year it didn't snow much in the Andes, hence our drought.  

Sorry, I may have missed in an earlier post.  Who do you suspect is lighting these fires?

yahooyahoo said:

Sorry, I may have missed in an earlier post.  Who do you suspect is lighting these fires?

They don't know if the individuals who started the forest fires are protestors or simply pyromaniacs.  What they do know is that firemen found accelerants where they suspect the fire started.  We may find out why they did it, because they arrested two individuals near the spot where the fires started at the time the fire started.  The police have been arresting anyone in the park or its surroundings, because they ordered an evacuation of the park and its surroundings, so no one should be there.  Most likely it is the protestors, but this is only my guess.  

In Chile there is a long history of setting fires as a form of protest, unfortunately.  I understand that it started with the native american people, the Mapuches, set fire to the best known park in the country, Las Torres del Paine, a few years back.  The parks are amazing, so they discovered that there is a big response when they set them on fire.

It is too distressing to even be angry.  It is sad, sad, sad.  The good news is that the majority of the forest esclerofico is the park where I live.  It is closed.  Nobody is allowed in, and thus far it is OK.  The park that is burning is next to Valparaiso which has a long history of these violent protests and a very large population.  It is still not easy to get there, but it is much easier than my park which is remote. 

I have mentioned in the past that I live in a UN Biosphere reserve very close to Santiago.  No one lives in the actual park, I live in a low impact zone adjacent to the park.

According to my research on google, an esclerofilo forest has drought resistant vegetation and is common in Marine climates that tend to be very dry.  The article I read was specific to Australia; but, these forests can be found elsewhere.  

Yes.  I was amazed to read that the leaves of the trees can absorb water.  You have a little bit of an esclerofilo forest in your home, I bet, do you cook with bay leaves?  they come from here.  The leaves are very hard, in fact, I have a live bay leaf tree in my property, and the leaf is just as stiff live as it is dead, well, almost, it is very slightly less stiff.  And a esclerofilo forest also smells wonderful.  When i water the garden, the aroma of the trees comes out.  I don't know how why that is, maybe someone does.

Also, you are right about Australia.  I was reading that Australia used to be connected to the Americas a long time ago.  That's why we have the same vegetation.

Speaking of dry, I need to make a pitch for funds for animals in this dry desert.  I have mentioned before that this is horse country, and they allow many of the animals to roam through the forest.  These animals are dying because there is no water.  There is an organization collecting funds in their behalf, please donate.  Thanks.  https://www.codeff.cl/crfs-codeff/apadrina-un-animal-del-crfs/  The farmers can't pay for their feed or water, so they are letting them die by the hundreds.  In the park where they roam there are many dead cows.

A reminder that trees aren't the only things being damaged in this conflict.

NYT: A Bullet to the Eye Is the Price of Protesting in Chile

Valparaiso's mayor is from a leftist party closely aligned with the Communist Party.  The two parties were the only ones voting against a recent agreement to establish a means of rewriting the constitution.  During the looting, the police did not protect the city.  The Navy has its main headquarters there, but no military is allowed to intervene in the civil unrest. They watched.  Now the Mayor says he is demanding the federal government to step in to rebuild the city.  Ugggg...  They want everyone to pay for the repairs.  Valparaiso's main businesses are universities, they are all closed now, and tourism, what ship is going to visit that lovely site?  The mayor needs to step to the back of the line, and wait for his city's turn.

Looters:  https://www.facebook.com/GranValparaiso.cl/videos/403568597005204/

How much rebuilding does the city need?  Has the unrest died down to the degree that restoring the city is even possible at this time?  

Thank you for the updates.  Not only do they keep us informed, which is important since there is little if any coverage here of the unrest in Chile; but, they tell us that you are OK.  Stay safe.

I am OK, thanks for your concern.  

The videos were taken this week, and from what I read, the destruction is taking place every single day.  Here is video of a business owner confronting looters   https://www.facebook.com/GranValparaiso.cl/videos/1189680731221031/  And this is a photo of jubilant protestors no doubt pleased by their work:  https://www.facebook.com/GranValparaiso.cl/photos/a.830528513758924/1850849758393456/?type=3&theater

I don't know how much it will require to restore the city.  Nationally the projections are in the billions of US dollars.

Valparaiso is primarily a port, and not the last call for every ship crossing the Pacific that it used to be. I am sure no one is using it to ship their goods there at this time.  The city is in a very perilous situation since all their major revenue sources are inoperable.  There is a major banking center there too, but all banks have branches in Santiago, so I am sure that they can move their non essential business lines there.   The Chilean Congress is in Valparaiso, and there has been discussion of making major investments to update the port facilities, but it would require closing part of the waterfront which many residents rejected, and I don't know the status of that project.  Having a sympathetic mayor with leanings to the Communist Party and the Congress in the city did nothing to squelch the rage, the motivation of many appears to be simply to destroy, to burn and to steal.  From my perspective what's is needed is leadership, vision and hope to get everyone working together to rebuild not the past, but the future.

Chile's wealth comes from copper, agriculture, logging, and none of those industries are in Valparaiso.  Valparaiso has history, and tourism can continue to grow as a source of revenue.  It is also a cultural center with many universities, and that is also a good fit for the city.  But the public schools are not good, so the residents are not able to participate in the universities which can open the opportunities for residents.  The middle class is largely composed of small business owners, and now all those businesses are looted and burned.  

My family came from Valparaiso, but I grew up in Viña del Mar which is residential and a part of the same bay.  When I grew up there was a vibrant fishing industry in Valparaiso, but Piñera killed that industry by selling all the fishing rights to a private company.  He said he did it, because the waters were being over fished, and he was trying to protect the marine habitat.  It was a terrible decision that destroyed the living of many porteños, and he embittered them.  During the campaign he promised to revise those contracts, but he has done nothing to solve the problem.  If they over fished the waters, it was a sign that they needed the income too much.  They needed to develop better rules, not to block them from making a living.  President Piñera doesn't seem to understand how his policies are affecting Chileans who never voted for him.

This took place in the mall where I do most of my shopping which was destroyed as it was finishing being constructed.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/102PUPHMi8LDKs77zihBkdtnRA-SkswvS/view?usp=sharing

A neighbor of mine told me that one of his running partners was bragging about taking part in its destruction.  Bragging; no exageration.  He turned him in to the police.

Today this article appeared in the paper:  https://www.latercera.com/nacional/noticia/la-querella-del-gobierno-ley-seguridad-del-estado-concejal-karim-chahuan/927408/  One of the Municipal elected officials was heard on the phone admitting to being part of this destruction.  It goes beyond looting, though looting took place as well, it's anarchism.

It is insult on top of insult.  Looting and destruction at the governmental level.  Leadership taking part in the vandalism; no wonder my neighbor's running partner was so proud of being a part of the ruination.  He was taking part of a municipal government's initiative.

Copihue said:

C:\Users\veronica\Downloads\WhatsApp Video 2019-10-28 at 9.24.10 PM.mp4 

?

You know that is an address on your hard drive, no?

Klinker said:

?

I fixed it.  Let me know if it works.

Copihue said:

Klinker said:

?

I fixed it.  Let me know if it works.

You want it to be a hyperlink, right?  What you have is a internal address on your hard drive.  That "C:\" is indicating that the file is on your C Drive.  You need to find the video on the web and post a hyperlink. 

I was just reading a horror story about the collapse of the Ecuadorean health system.  What's the situation like down there in Chile?

Klinker, thanks for thinking of us.  The situation in Chile is nothing like it is in Ecuador.  Our President, Sebastian Piñera, is a Harvard graduate, and you may remember him from his management of the drive to bring miners trapped underground successfully to safety ten years ago.  He has a very competent no-nonsense Minister of Health who is doing a great job.  I am so relieved, because I was very concerned about how they would handle the pandemic.  They have tried at all times to get ahead of the pandemic with daily educational campaigns, declaration of a health emergency powers that early in the process enforced a curfew, lockdowns of hot spots, social distancing, mandatory use of masks to cover nose and mouth, and legislators approved an economic package to support small business and individuals.  

Every morning I spend hours reading what is happening in the US, Europe and Asia, and  I didn't think that it was possible for Trump to nauseate me anymore, but his pronouncement that people should ingest disinfectant did shock me yesterday.  It is difficult to imagine a worse leader in front of a pandemic like this one.  You have to deal with the virus and with his ill advised interventions.

The coronavirus was brought by tourists to Chile.  In the south of Chile a foreigner stepped off a cruiser and caused lockdown of a small village when he tested positive for the coronavirus, as well as Chilean tourists returning from Europe in Santiago's wealthier suburbs. 

I am in an ideal environment during a pandemic.  I live in 5000 acres of gated lands with about 22 residents.  Until last week we had no one who had tested positive for the virus not only in the Reserve but in the town.  Now we have one.  This is an agricultural area, so we all live very far apart, and getting fresh fruit and vegetables as well as flowers is easier and cheaper than normal.  Last week I broke a tooth, and I had to go to  the clinic, because all dentists are forbidden to work at this time.  The government clinic is the only place allowed to address dental emergencies and it is excellent.  I was the only one there, and they took excellent care of me.  Did I forget to write that it was 100% free of charge?  I have no Chilean health insurance.

Because this is such a good spot where to live during a pandemic, there is conflict about letting property owners from Santiago come in.  Last week the provincial governor came in with the police, detective bureau, the army, representatives of the department of health as well as photographers and to fine individuals who are not residents who were staying in the the Reserve against government edicts which forbit residents of Santiago to move to their second homes. The story with pictures landed in the papers.  

Movement is restricted in the highways with random temperature checks. There is a nasty sign threatening tourists who come into this area on the main road coming into the Reserve.  Hopefully, this does not escalate.  Santiago's wealthier suburbs have the highest rate of infection in the country, and people don't want them here.  The political unrest has also abated.  The plebiscite that was supposed to take place tomorrow has been postponed to October or November.  Politicians who are normally at each other's throat are cooperating.

We are in autumn now, and they say that the outbreak will peak this coming week and into early May.  Today we have 12,306 infected individuals and 174 deaths.  We have one of the lowest rates of death in the world.  Argentina is lower, and the new President of Argentina, a populist, of course made obnoxious comments in the press about it thus creating conflict.

Altogether so far, so good. 

Thank you so much for the update.  Stay well. Stay safe.

You too.  I worry about you all.

It's here in force.  All of Santiago is going to be in quarantine starting tomorrow, because they had a dramatic increase in the number of infections and deaths these past two days.  Some of Santiago has been under quarantine for most of the past two months, and recently it had been lifted.  Now all of the communities, about 38, and 5.6 million people will be quarantined.  

Monday there were newspaper reports about the number of private parties that had been reported to police in some communities, one of which had 400 guests and whose organizer is currently jailed; obviously some people are not taking it seriously which angered many who had been diligent in keeping with the recommendations and requirements.  Now everyone will be required to stay at home, and thousands of military personnel will be making sure that no more parties will be held, that everyone wear masks, and follow social distancing rules if allowed being outside their homes.  

Hijuelas, my little town, of 17k residents still only has one person with Covid19, and he must be ending his mandatory quarantine any day.  Nevertheless, I heard on the radio that the mayors of all the towns of the Valparaiso region have requested that we go on quarantine as well.  The Minister of Health has been very good of cherry picking who and who does not have to go on quarantine, and  I hope we are not lumped with everyone else.

One of the reasons given for this drastic step which will slow the economy to a crawl since most commerce goes through Santiago is the fact that hospitals are at 80% of capacity and with the spike of new cases yesterday and today they expect that the country will exceed the ability to take care of the sick.  

Today the lockdown begins in Santiago, so there was a three-hour traffic back-up on the highway even after curfew hours had begun.  They are coming here to the beaches and to the region.  Santiago has 80% of the contagion, and they are about to spread it here for sure.

Where I am there has been conflict between residents and residents of other communities who come to Hijuelas that still has one confirmed Covid-19 case and which is also a recreational destination.  When police are not checking documents and sending them back home, the residents are doing the job.  The town folk are much nastier.  

I'm a resident, so I'm OK, and I go though the blockades without problems.

Welcome to our world here in Maplewood.  We have been on lock down for about two months now.  Parks open but recreation areas such as playgrounds, tennis courts, and basketball courts closed.  Senior hours for food and medicine shopping.  Most other shopping by phone with curb side pick-up or delivery to your door. Hospitals at/beyond capacity are thankfully a thing of the past but could resurge with the relaxation of County/State park and beach restrictions.  Deaths remain at 23.  We pray we will not see the number rise again. Thankfully, we are beginning to see the possible end of restrictions here in NJ.  Even then, it is likely to be months rather than weeks before we are able to fully resume our lives, if then.  One thing we have learned is that as long as the human population remains mobile, there is no place free of contagion.  Stay well.  Stay safe.

For you who like numbers, here is a really great website that I discovered with comparative Covid numbers by country:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/chile/  You can see the numbers of cases have spiked, in fact, Chile has the highest growth in new cases in the world.  There is a great deal of criticism these days that the Minister of Health is under reporting of deaths due to the virus in Chile, and though in my view the Minister on the whole has been doing a great job, in this sense I believe that the critics which include medical experts are correct.

In my town we have no active cases of Covid 19, but where I must do my shopping the numbers are rising quickly.  We have health checks on the roads where documentation is checked to make sure that you are in fact a resident of this town and body temperature is checked.  Covid19 invades agricultural areas slowly.

There is nothing new in Chile to report, that's the disturbing part, we are simply following the steps of so many countries which have had rapid increases in active cases of Covid19.  It's discouraging that this heavily documented pandemic keeps doing its thing unabated.  The policies are the same.  We will be going into winter soon, and I am not looking forward to following your steps up north.

One thing that you don't read about in the US papers, but which probably exists, is hunger.  In one of the communities of Santiago, El Bosque, its mayor has requested food for his residents from the central government.  The government announced two days ago that it is purchasing over 2 million boxes of basic provisions for residents in quarantine who are unable to work and therefore are unable to purchase food.  They can also apply for a family emergency fund of US$61.  There are many other programs of economic aid, but there is a large group of people who have small business such as street vendors and vendors in the fruit and vegetable markets, who don't pay taxes or take support from social service programs and they fall through the cracks.  The following video shows protests in that community:  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAVn5cbBCnN/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

Hunger is a problem here too.  With millions now out of work, overwhelmed unemployment insurance programs, and so many people living paycheck to paycheck, food insecurity has been very real for a few months now.  On TV we see lines of 2,000+ vehicles lined up for food distribution events.  These events now advertise the maximum number of persons they can serve.  Persons without access to a motor vehicle (elderly and lowest income) are closed out of these events since they are drive in no contact only (truck is popped and food is placed inside).  There are food delivery programs in some locations for serving those who are unable to get out.  It was just announced that some food delivery services would now be accepting SNAP payments.  Here in Maplewood, Crill's meals on wheels has begun serving some of our lowest income seniors, and funds have been collected to provide food for those who either cannot afford it or who don't have access to credit cards/ digital payment and lack the cash to pay for it. Food production and transport to markets has been negatively impacted for a variety of reasons leading to supply problems and some increase in food prices while there are reports of agricultural products being destroyed for lack of shipping and market demand from restaurants that remain closed.  Stay well/stay safe.  Please post from time to time so we will know you are OK.

In Chile from my limited perspective of being cloistered in an ecological reserve there isn't as much value placed in volunteerism as there is in the US.  People expect the government to respond. I like what you do in Maplewood much better than what I see in this community, but that is changing.  Nearly two weeks ago we found a fox with distemper, and this community responded by vaccinating all dogs at cost.  That was lovely.  People help each other during earthquakes and tsunamis, but this catastrophe keeps people separate, it doesn't bring them together, though as you state, the situation can be changed so that it is safe to do so.  It's still early, and I think it would really help solve the hard tasks that lay ahead for this country once the pandemic over to build bridges between communities now.  This is a very competitive society where great value is placed on being top dog, even if that status is achieved by stepping on those who live next to you.  If this calamity teaches Chileans to better collaborate with one another then something good will come of the hard times.  Bring the traffic jams that bring food to the hungry.

Today it looks as if you got our civil unrest, and we got your Covid19 outbreak.  From zero to 13 cases in about 10 days in my town.  We are going into winter, and the paper says the peak will be in July.  It's a homogenized world.

Sorry you got our COVID-19.  We have been hearing that Brazil has become a hot spot of infection.  Not surprising that it has crossed into Chile.  Stay well. Stay safe.  

The virus is not in the reserve, as far as we know, but the active cases in the town have increased to 21, 3 gave died.  Those are the official figures, and everyone assumes that the active cases are higher.  The reserve is full of people despite regulations and the ire of municipal leaders and local residents.  People are buying houses, construction has increased, and the reserve is in the process of becoming a residential development.  Many, many people are working from home which is overwhealming our internet providers.  This is a reserve; we don't have fiber optic cable.  Santiago is still in cuarantine, though a few comunities began to reopen.  In the reserve people are officially changing their documentation in case they are stopped on the roads by police or worse, should they get sick they don't get in trouble because their documentation is for a community in quarantine.  

On a personal note Rachel, my dog, who is probably 15 or 16 years old is not well.  She had a urinary track infection, we took care of it, but she suffers from back pain.  She also ate a bone, and she is struggling trying to pass it.  Lots of vomit, and small pieces have passed.  I don't think that she can survive surgery.  I am hoping my companion will survive this, but I keep an eye on her so that she does not suffer unnecessarily.  She also gets lots of kisses and hugs as well as home cooked meals.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.