Let's talk 2018 Oscars

Here's the LA Times lists of contenders.  I've seen some of the contenders this year but still have so many to catch up on.  The three that I really loved were Battle of the Sexes, The Florida Project and Lady Bird.  I'll be amazed if they all don't win multiple awards.  Please let's start discussing your faves and picks!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-en-2018-oscars-buzzmeter-20171115-htmlstory.html

Laurie Metcalf in Lady Bird

Agree.  Totally.  She was absolutely stunningly amazing.

I see Get Out is available for free on FIOS today - I've heard good things about it.  Will provide feedback later.  I need to catch up on a ton of movies.

Loved Lady Bird. Everything about it.

I liked "Get Out" - thoughtful, different and interesting moments of suspense - but I didn't walk away from it thinking, wow, the actors, director, cinematographer etc. must win Oscars

I loved The Florida Project.

apple44 said:

I liked "Get Out" - thoughtful, different and interesting moments of suspense - but I didn't walk away from it thinking, wow, the actors, director, cinematographer etc. must win Oscars

Saw it tonight - fun movie - very well done, but agree with apple's assessment in regards to anything being oscar-worthy.

which did harvey weinsteine poduce?  eliminate those and which are left?

dave said:

which did harvey weinsteine poduce?  eliminate those and which are left?

That seems to be unfair to hold all the people involved in his productions responsible for his behavior...

Saw "A Fantastic Woman" last night at the Angelika. It got a rave review in the NYTimes. ("It’s a fantastic movie. Daniela Vega, the star, is fantastic in it. Quote me in the ads, with exclamation points if you must. My work here is done.") I wasn't as floored by it although I thought it was very good, very natural the actress Daniela Vega is so very good. Another fascinating film about a fascinating woman.

We just saw Last Flag Flying last night. I thought it was excellent. It seemed totally believeable. Well acted. And, one of my important ingredients, had heart (without being sappy).

Saw 3 Billboards in Edding Missouri over the weekend - excellent movie - very Fargoesque:

Hoping to see Three Billboards in Montclair this week.

Did not like Ladybird, although I love Laurie Metcalf and thought she did a great job and would love to see her get an Oscar.  Went to see it over Thanksgiving with my disfunctional family, so it was disfuntional family viewing disfunctional family and we did not think they were disfunctional enough.  We thought they were just fine and not intereresting enough for a movie.  Did not like the script. Also, my son thought we were going to see that Three Bilboards movie and that's the one I wanted to see also.  Do you think that one will come to Maplewood?

Nan,

I completely disagree. The family was not dysfunctional. They were actually quite ordinary and very realistic. All the acting was excellent.

just FYI - I saw Three Billboards at East Hanover in a theater with reclining seats - I never knew they had these there.  You can also choose your seat with online ordering.

LOST said:

Nan,

I completely disagree. The family was not dysfunctional. They were actually quite ordinary and very realistic. All the acting was excellent.

Maybe that was the problem. They seemed to normal.  My family was bored. The acting was good though, especially Laurie Metcalf.  She kept me awake.  I did not like the script.  I found  it confusing and did not understand what the writer was trying to do.   Maybe I'll watch it again in a few years and like it better. 

Mudbound was a very good film. Wonderful performances all around. Beautifully shot and staged with a fantastic score. A little predictable in some instances but for the most part a very compelling story of two struggling families in rural America.

Another vote for the small but worthy "Ladybird."  The tone was singular and, for me, almost therapeutic.  Not arch or knowing or postmodern--always a hazard when the camera rests on a family like Lady Bird's for any length of time in a Hollywood movie.  It's  not "look at these banal family members leading their little, lives."  instead it's: " I see all of you, trying to be human. Your efforts are worthy of my gaze."  Liked that about "Lady Bird"

I liked it too, Jamie.  I thought Sam Rockwell's performance really made the film.

jamie said:

Saw 3 Billboards in Edding Missouri over the weekend - excellent movie - very Fargoesque:

where did you see Mudbiund?

gerryl said:

where did you see Mudbiund?

It's still showing at some select indie theaters, but it's on Netflix streaming now, too.

LOST said:

Nan,

They were ordinary, but it made me wonder what the writer was trying to say. I thought it was predictible in some parts and nonsensical in others.  I thought the "gay boyfriend," "fat best friend,"  and "hipster narcissist boyfriend" were cliches from central casting. I thought the main character was a brat.  She allows her poor family to mortgage their house so she can go to a college in the East.  How are they going to pay for that?  The numbers don't add up.   Just did not do it for me.   Did think the acting was good, just not the script.

Two views. That's part of what makes these discussion interesting.

nan said:

LOST said:

Nan,

They were ordinary, but it made me wonder what the writer was trying to say. I thought it was predictible in some parts and nonsensical in others.  I thought the "gay boyfriend," "fat best friend,"  and "hipster narcissist boyfriend" were cliches from central casting. I thought the main character was a brat.  She allows her poor family to mortgage their house so she can go to a college in the East.  How are they going to pay for that?  The numbers don't add up.   Just did not do it for me.   Did think the acting was good, just not the script.

brealer said:

Another vote for the small but worthy "Ladybird."  The tone was singular and, for me, almost therapeutic.  Not arch or knowing or postmodern--always a hazard when the camera rests on a family like Lady Bird's for any length of time in a Hollywood movie.  It's  not "look at these banal family members leading their little, lives."  instead it's: " I see all of you, trying to be human. Your efforts are worthy of my gaze."  Liked that about "Lady Bird"

That's interesting, LOST.   I don't think brealer and I have agreed on anything in the last 15 years.  We are just very different. 

Saw The Shape of Water Saturday night.

meh.

Sally Hawkins was marvelous; she's really a wonder. Someone described her to me as the female Daniel Day Lewis. She should definitely get an Oscar nom for this amazing SILENT portrayal. She is so good.

But the film was too whimsical for my taste, too much fantasy. (I don't like Wes Anderson's films because of the surfeit of whimsy.)  And Richard Jenkins was very miscast in the film.

If you like whimsy and fantasy and great acting, this may be the film for you.

Very interesting, Mr. T.  Thanks.  I hope to see The Shape of Water next week.  I've heard so much about Sally Hawkins performance.  

Am I the only one struck by the fact that so many of the major contenders for Best Picture feature female leads rather than male leads?  The Florida Project, Lady Bird, Three Billboards, The Shape of Water -- others?

Mudbound was excellent - very intense in parts.

I still haven't found my favorite movie of the year yet.

Any other contenders streaming at the moment?

Have you seen "The Big Sick"?  I really enjoyed it a lot.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.