Inconsequential Chat

Marksierra has some IT challenges. So I’ll just help him out.

Very proud to be able to post this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-09/how-music-producer-billy-pearson-uses-hip-hop-as-therapy/12806340

joanne said:

Marksierra has some IT challenges. So I’ll just help him out.

Thank you, Joanne.  I'm still IT-challenged.  Now using a borrowed piece of gear.

I won't post the actual videos here, because the site's owner has asked they not be re-uploaded without her consent, but - for your delectation and pleasure - enjoy!!

http://www.magpieaholic.com/videos/

This post has been copied across to the The Uncaged Bird thread.

It took a few seconds for the penny to drop.

Captchas are getting out of control...

mulemom said:

What's the current situation?

jonesey said:

mulemom said:

He's joined the resistance.

marksierra said:

jonesey said:

mulemom said:

He's joined the resistance.

Where he has a very bright future

I've had enough. I'm going ohm.

jonesey said:

I've had enough. I'm going ohm.

Surely it's just a phase you're going through.

It's not quite like herding cats, but more than a brace of ducks could be difficult to control ... unless you have a duck dog!

This is a lovely story.  Meet Tildy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-09/matilda-the-tasmanian-duck-herding-dog/12946946

It's that time of year yet again, when several questions regarding Christmas music should be asked! 

Should 'Jingle Bells', together with 'The Little Drummer Boy' be 'Put Away In A Manger' for the 'Twelve Days Of Christmas', with 'Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reindeer' as well? What a 'Silent Night' it would be, possibly bringing 'Joy To The World'. 

And how 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' Is it because 'The Herald Angels Sing' or 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town' 'While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks'? Whatever the answer, seems to me to always a bit of a 'White Christmas'.

'I'll Be Home For Christmas', but 'All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth', like I 'Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas' - makes me want to 'Deck The Halls'.

And in case anyone 'Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus', can they please 'Go Tell It To The Mountain'?

So 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' and ask 'What Child Is This?'? 'Mary's Boy Child', 'Frosty The Snow Man' or 'Suzy Snowflake'? Perhaps 'A Baby Just Like You'?

Oh nearly forgot, what's to be done about 'The Chipmunk Song'?

What I ask is, how stupid are the kids in the Paul McCartney song? It takes them all year long to learn the words to "ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong..."

All I want for Christmas is my two new knees.

(This is a copy of a post made in the Rare phenomenon thread, started by Apollo_T  
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/rare-phenomenon?page=next&limit=0#discussion-replies-3533902

Remember to look up on Monday night!

Jupiter and Saturn are set to align on December 21, 2020, to create a once-in-a-lifetime 'Christmas star'.

This event, known as a great conjunction, happens about once every 20 years, but closeness of the two planets makes this a very rare conjunction.

With only about a 10th of a degree separating the two planets — that's a fifth of the width of the Moon — this is the closest they will have appeared in the sky to each other in nearly 400 years. The last time it occurred was in 1623.

Assuming the weather is clear, you'll be able to see the spectacle with the naked eye, about an hour after sunset. But be quick - it'll only be visible for an hour or so before disappearing below the western horizon.

(Please note: This is the view from the Northern Hemisphere. If you're in the Southern Hemisphere the view would be the opposite, with Jupiter on the left and Saturn on the right.)

Full story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-11-27/jupiter-and-saturn-in-a-once-in-a-lifetime-grand-conjunction/12895088

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN:

Please be advised that all members planning to dash through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, going over the fields and laughing all the way are required to undergo a Risk Assessment addressing the safety of open sleighs. This assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly where there are multiple passengers. Please note that permission must also be obtained in writing from landowners before their fields may be entered. To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

Benches, stools and orthopedic chairs are now available for collection by any shepherds planning or required to watch their flocks at night.

While provision has also been made for remote monitoring of flocks by CCTV cameras from a centrally heated shepherd observation hut, all facility users are reminded that an emergency response plan must be submitted to account for known risks to the flocks. The angel of the Lord is additionally reminded that prior to shining his/her glory all around s/he must confirm that all shepherds are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment to account for the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and the overwhelming effects of Glory.

Following last year’s well publicised case, everyone is advised that EC legislation prohibits any comment with regard to the redness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr. R Reindeer from reindeer games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence.

While it is acknowledged that gift-bearing is commonly practised in various parts of the world, everyone is reminded that the bearing of gifts is subject to Hospitality Guidelines and all gifts must be registered. This applies regardless of the individual, even royal personages. It is particularly noted that direct gifts of currency or gold are specifically precluded under provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Further, caution is advised regarding other common gifts, such as aromatic resins that may initiate allergic reactions.

Finally, in the recent case of the infant found tucked up in a manger without any crib for a bed, Social Services have been advised and will be arriving shortly.

Compliance of these guidelines is advised in order for you to fully participate with the festive spirit.

Have a safe festive period.

The proofreaders and typographers amongst us would call this a caret, but as language evolves so, too, do the symbols...

(Edited to add, https://www.8020comms.com/2011/11/11/express-yourself-the-wonderful-world-of-interrobangs-and-sarcastrophes/ 

Further added: I have a sarcastrophe, but why is there no interrobang on my keyboard?)

So bad I have to publish!

I think they’re in Special symbols or else you’ll find them mixed up with the Spanish/Portuguese letters

marksierra said:

The proofreaders and typographers amongst us would call this a caret, but as language evolves so, too, do the symbols...

(Edited to add, https://www.8020comms.com/2011/11/11/express-yourself-the-wonderful-world-of-interrobangs-and-sarcastrophes/ 

Further added: I have a sarcastrophe, but why is there no interrobang on my keyboard?)

I managed to get a stunning picture of the Grand Conjunction as seen from my place on the evening of 21 December!

Another list.

(A thought:  If I have a list, does that mean I'm sinking?)

1. When one door closes and another door opens, you are probably in prison.

2. To me, “drink responsibly” means don’t spill it.

3. Age 60 might be the new 40, but 9:00 pm is the new midnight.

4. It’s the start of a brand new day, and I’m off like a herd of turtles.

5. The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

6. When I say, “The other day”, I could be referring to any time between yesterday and 15 years ago.

7. I remember being able to get up without making sound effects.

8. I had my patience tested. I’m negative.

9. Remember, if you lose a sock in the dryer, it comes back as a Tupperware lid that doesn’t fit any of your containers.

10. If you’re sitting in public and a stranger takes the seat next to you, just stare straight ahead and ask, “Did you bring the money?”

11. When you ask me what I’m doing today, and I say “nothing”, it does not me I am free. It means I am doing nothing.

12. I finally got eight hours of sleep. It took me three days, but whatever.

13. I run like the winded.

14. I hate it when a couple argues in public, and I missed the beginning. Then I don’t know whose side I’m on.

15. When someone asks what I did over the weekend, I squint and ask, “Why, what did you hear?”

16. When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like a goat chewing on an aluminium can stuffed with celery?

17. I don’t mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.

18. When I ask for directions, please don’t use words like “east”.

19. Don’t bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend 30 seconds inside my head. That’ll freak you right out.

20. Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Oh, the humanity that binds us — thousands of miles of land and sea separation— but maybe it is sharing the English language and the fragility  of living that makes me believe we understand each other. Thanks, Mark.

Harry the Cat, aka Handsome Harry, wishes you a Happy New (thank God) Year!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.