Big Rainstorm (was Tropical Storm) (was Major Hurricane) Ida

bub said:

Spoke to several people who said their own basement flooding was not as bad as the last time.  It doesn't mean it wasn't worse in other places.  Also, I noticed almost no piles of sidewalk junk pulled from basements.  Maybe that is yet to come. 

Taking up town invite to help.  Not sure what the most effective thing to do is.  Street drains should be cleared I think to let water flow faster.

No problem with Rez dog park though if you go up Wyoming, you will notice a vehicle blocked off with a smashed in windshield near SO Ave.  A huge fallen and partly cut up tree is on the sidewalk parallel to it.  Must have been quite a shock.

I think local residents have learned through painful experience to minimize their exposure to basement flooding. These flooding events have become more frequent, unfortunately.

That is very sad to hear about the loss of life here in town. Thoughts are with his family.

BlueGrass said:

That is very sad to hear about the loss of life here in town. Thoughts are with his family.

It is indeed very sad.

I'm a sexton at St. Stevie's. The Rector's husband and I thought we were so smart putting out all those sandbags we still had leftover from Sandy (Irene caused us to get them in hindsight) on Tuesday night. Heh heh. We were thinking our wives would have a good laugh at us when it was all a bust. We're laughing for a different reason today.

The school had extensive flooding on the basement level. Wrecked some renovation work already in progress. The Church's basement was flooded all throughout but the sanctuary doesn't seem too badly affected. The new boiler's status is in doubt. It was a muddy mess. School won't be able to open next week so check with the staff if your child goes there.

All kinds of debris rushed down Main Street in the expanded river towards the Shop Rite. Things stacked up all over places where a fence or something caught it. Little fish all over the place, a couple hundred yards off to the side of the river and Taylor Park. Those newer homes with driveways leading to lower-level garages - not good. The way the grass is flattened down indicates just how heavy the fast-flowing water hit the area. Shoveling the mud off the sidewalk was fun. 

The cemetery and the mausoleum weren't too bad. Got lots more firewood for campfires though.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
I wonder if there was damage in South Mountain section.St Stephens Church basement flooded. Side streets along Main St flooded.

WxNut2.0 said:

addiemoose said:

Any idea of this was a 100-year storm? do those things even exist anymore during climate change?

Probably more than 100 year storm. 

Counting forward or back?

WxNut2.0 said:

addiemoose said:

Any idea of this was a 100-year storm? do those things even exist anymore during climate change?

The 24 hour accumulated precip at Newark Airport was 8.41 inches, which is right at 100yr return period precip.  

The one hour accumulated precip was 3.2 inches, which is just above the 200yr return period precip for that time window.

In case you missed it...

-s.

max_weisenfeld said:

WxNut2.0 said:

addiemoose said:

Counting forward or back?

Doesn’t matter — it’s derived from a statistical method. I think extreme value theorem. 

My go-to TV station is News 12 NJ on Fios.   They cover the weather really well and are very local.   

I just want to say Thank You to Max and the other weather gurus here.

You guys tell it straight without hysteria!

Many, Many Thanks!

RobertRoe said:

My go-to TV station is News 12 NJ on Fios.   They cover the weather really well and are very local.   

Yes. Dave Curren is great. I think he's good enough to be on a big network in a major market somewhere.

rcarter31 said:

You guys tell it straight without hysteria!

Dunno. If Max really cared, he'd be on Maplewood Avenue, right now, with an umbrella and yellow rain slicker (Glocester Fisherman style) so's we'd get the sense of urgency needed to meet the dire conditions we face in the next storm.

Does anyone remember about 10 years ago, it was during one of the storms. Weather guy is in a canoe and explaining how severe the weather is... then two guys walk behind and past him in a couple of inches of water.

A few weeks ago when we had the local danger of tornadoes, News 12 had a camera in Newark and actually was able to show the eyewall of a potential tornado coming down Park Ave. in East Orange and Newark.   What an amazing-looking cloud formation.  It did not turn into a tornado.   

What's the latest thinking on Larry? I don't like the look of the current path, but there was also talk that it would stay out to sea.

Most models have it turning right and heading north well before it comes close to the coast.

Ah, if it make that right turn then all will be well. Thanks jamie.

Jaytee said:

We will get the heavier rains tonight. Home Depot only have a few sump pumps in the store. Guy in the plumbing aisle said some contractor came in Monday and bought all of the pumps, only left the wimpy 1/3 horsepower cheap ones. Even the discharge hoses are gone. 
I think we’re gonna get a good soaking tonight.

Rt. 22 Home Depot currently has full pallet of 1/2 horsepower sump pumps.

Dumb joke. Deleted.

someguy said:

What's the latest thinking on Larry? I don't like the look of the current path, but there was also talk that it would stay out to sea.

Out to sea most likely 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.