GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

Posted By: mtierneyWhat comes across to me, however, is your hate for this particular religion. Not very cool

It may not be cool, but it does make sense.

Posted By: GL2
• Archbishop Donald W. Wuerl of Washington threatens to cancel Catholic provision of services to the homeless and poor if the D.C. City Council passes a law giving equal rights to gays.

Hmmm.... punishing the poor and homeless of DC if the DC CIty Council announces that gays are human beings too?

Jesus wept.

mtierney,

After getting really weary of drive-by's on the "fun w/Repubs" thread, I figured I'd narrow my topic to "2010 midterm Repub infighting as jihad" analogy. Though not an original concept, the thread does seem to be writing itself so far. For clarity I've tried to write carefully, using "Catholic Church" and not Catholics; "Christians" instead of Christians and christians.

Regarding the 36 posts, I'm used to talking to myself. I enjoy it. It's kind of like a blog with guest appearances by interesting people. Also people like you. I am sincerely not sorry that you are offended.

You may have missed this part of the post because it was written in bold:
Of course there's an ocean of differences between what Catholic laity believe and what Bishops and Pope command them to believe. Like Protestant christians, Catholics too must choose...

Mtierney,

Nobody pays attention to GL2 in real life, but here DB worships him and makes him feel good. Heck of a way to live, but there ya go!!!

SMC,

What the F@#* is your problem?

The dumbest thing on MOL is criticizing the way other people post or how often they post. Why not just deal with the substance?

Hi SMC; missed you. Such a pleasure to know you're still around.

Any thoughts about the 2010 midterms and the influence of the Tea Party Patriots and/or religion on GOP?

Or are you happy just to say hello in that charming way you have about you?

Posted By: SMCMtierney,

Nobody pays attention to GL2 in real life, but here DB worships him and makes him feel good. Heck of a way to live, but there ya go!!!

based on your pithy and far too frequent appearances here at mol, in which you manage to say the exact same thing 20 different ways, I have no doubt that you have quite the following IRL yourself. You clearly are a magnetic personality.

All SMC seems to do is post from a northwestern state about how people in the SO/M area spend too much time on a local SO/M area forum.

I think we can get rid of that bit of nonsense right now.

The march to chaos continues...reminds me of Howie Long in the Chevy commercial, braggin' on Chevy and calling Honda a lawnmower company. Better get your own stuff in order before you goof on the competition. But that order ain't gonna come until Republicans walk the fields, counting the fallen in 2010.

an excerpt from today's WP:

The Republican rank and file is largely in sync with GOP lawmakers in their staunch opposition to efforts by President Obama and Democrats to enact major health-care legislation, but a new Washington Post poll also reveals deep dissatisfaction among GOP voters with the party's leadership as well as ideological and generational differences that may prove big obstacles to the party's plans for reclaiming power....Fewer than half of the Republicans and Republican-leaners surveyed by The Washington Post see the party's leadership as taking the GOP in the "right direction," down sharply from this time four years ago. About four in 10 are dissatisfied with the policy proposals being offered by congressional Republicans, and similar numbers see the current crop of GOP legislators as out of touch with their problems and personal values. Nearly a third say the Republicans in Congress are not standing up for the party's core values.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/29/AR2009112902935.html

**"Nearly a third say the Republicans in Congress are not standing up for the party's core values."**

What makes anyone believe the "alleged" deep dissatisfaction among GOP voters with the party's leadership, will translate into votes for Democrats? Sorry, but IMO it's just a lot of wishful thinking.

If anything, it's the differences and dissatisfaction among Democrat voters that may prove to be the biggest obstacle to their party's plans to keep power....

Hey, Art, we agree!! (sort of)

Dissatisfaction with party leadership and/or party positions won't translate into more votes for the other party. What it very well may do, though, is depress that party's voter turnout on election day. The "smell of blood in the water" might also energize the other party, causing more of their existing members to go to the polls. Either way, the results would be the same. I believe that's what happened here, in Corzine's loss to Christie: D's who were, at best, lukewarm towards the Governor stayed home while R's, sensing an opening, turned out. It works both ways, and neither national party seems very interested in paying attention to what voters want, so they're both suffering - but right now D's have the larger "base" so they have more to lose.

It's really nice Jeff that once in a while we can at least agree on something... :wink:

Posted By: jeffmarkelHey, Art, we agree!! (sort of)

Dissatisfaction with party leadership and/or party positions won't translate into more votes for the other party. What it very well may do, though, is depress that party's voter turnout on election day. The "smell of blood in the water" might also energize the other party, causing more of their existing members to go to the polls. Either way, the results would be the same. I believe that's what happened here, in Corzine's loss to Christie: D's who were, at best, lukewarm towards the Governor stayed home while R's, sensing an opening, turned out. It works both ways, and neither national party seems very interested in paying attention to what voters want, so they're both suffering - but right now D's have the larger "base" so they have more to lose.

yeah - amazingly enough, ajc's post made sense.

dailykos had a poll recently indicating that Dem turnout next year could be very, very low. I don't know how accurate such polls are a year out from election day, but it's certainly not encouraging. It looks like the great mass of voters mobilized by Obama last year are content to sit it out now.

Again - a lot can change in a year.

ajc, I don't think I implied that GOP dissension will result in Dem gains. I am simply enjoying - and hope to further enjoy - the well-deserved GOP trouble. As I said earlier, they stood by and watched, approving of the destructive (sometimes racist) shenanigans of these demagogues (Sara, Glenn, et. al.) and ill-informed Tea Party folks. They threw gas on the fire and now must snuff it out, which won't be easy, if they hope to become a mainstream party again.

**May the best ideas win...**

GL2, I guess we'll just have to wait it out; won't we?

Very magnanimous of you, ajc. Holiday spirit?

Posted By: ajc

May the best ideas win...

GL2, I guess we'll just have to wait it out; won't we?

heh

he said "ideas"

Yup, Huckabee is the leading GOP choice for 2012...

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of Republican voters nationwide say former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is their pick to represent the GOP in the 2012 Presidential campaign. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 24% prefer former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney while 18% would cast their vote for former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2012/gop_2012_huckabee_29_romney_24_palin_18

Oh, wait...this just in...

The conservative blogosphere unleashed a torrent of criticism against Mike Huckabee Monday after a man whose sentence he commuted as Arkansas governor was suspected of gunning down four police officers in Washington state over the weekend.

Maurice Clemmons, whom Huckabee granted clemency to nine years ago, remained at large after local police in Lakewood, Wash. mistakenly thought they had him trapped in a house early Monday. Clemmons is reported to have shot the officers as they were sitting at a table in a local coffee shop.

While many details of the murders were still unclear Monday, leading online conservative voices were quick to pass judgment on Huckabee, whose 2008 presidential campaign was forced to respond to accusations that he was too lenient with violent criminals during his years as governor.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/30014.html

**Huckabee was too lenient with violent criminals during his years as governor."**

...and GWB during his years as governor wasn't lenient enough. A classic example of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sounds like another downside of being a Republican... :wink:

Huckabee had a tendency when he was Governor of Arkansas to pardon/commute the sentences of people who accepted Jesus into their lives while in prison. It didn't always work out.

On the flip side he had a tendency to spend money on social programs as a good Christian should.

You take the good and the bad. In any event the fact he isn't a true fiscal conservative will kill any chance he has in getting the nomination for 2012. He isn't acceptable to the Club for Growth and the Wall Street Journal Republicans because of his tendency to spend money.

It would be nice to hear more stories about former convicts whole have turned their life around after receiving a second chance. I would prefer to not make political hay out of the murder of four police officers or, for that matter, the murder of 13 soldiers at Ft. Hood.

I do hope that you folks appreciate just how clever this thread title is.

"GOP 2010: Huckleberry Hounded by Right Wing; Hoo Hears a Horton?"

One of the best ever on MOL. Superb job GL2.

Posted By: tjohnIt would be nice to hear more stories about former convicts whole have turned their life around after receiving a second chance. I would prefer to not make political hay out of the murder of four police officers or, for that matter, the murder of 13 soldiers at Ft. Hood.

I agree with you, but what's interesting here is that it's mostly the right wing blogosphere and punditry that are getting on Huckabee's case. I read a number of posts on lefty sites yesterday, and almost all of them were measured and chose not to jump on Huckabee (correctly, I think). I think this story is less about the murder/pardon and more about the divisions in conservoland.

[quote][cite]Posted by sbenois[/cite]
[/quote]

true. exceptional...

Posted By: hoops
Posted by sbenois

true. exceptional...

triple that.

Posted By: drummerboy
Posted By: tjohnIt would be nice to hear more stories about former convicts whole have turned their life around after receiving a second chance. I would prefer to not make political hay out of the murder of four police officers or, for that matter, the murder of 13 soldiers at Ft. Hood.

I agree with you, but what's interesting here is that it's mostly the right wing blogosphere and punditry that are getting on Huckabee's case. I read a number of posts on lefty sites yesterday, and almost all of them were measured and chose not to jump on Huckabee (correctly, I think). I think this story is less about the murder/pardon and more about the divisions in conservoland.

fine if lefty blogs ignore for now, but dems better not when the time comes.
it's a legitimate issue that needs to be addressed.
do unto others etc.

Posted By: bobkHuckabee had a tendency when he was Governor of Arkansas to pardon/commute the sentences of people who accepted Jesus into their lives while in prison. It didn't always work out.

a fine example of why one shouldn't allow their religion to dictate any type of policy.

Posted By: drummerboy

no kidding DB, because in simple terms, Huckabee took a liberal position on crime (violent criminals can be rehabbed) and it blew up in his face so of course the "lefty sites" are not going to shine too much light on this because it makes their perspectives on crime look false.

And if you recall during the 2008 runup to the election Huckabee was considered too liberal of a Republican to be a viable GOP candidate. This parole incident only enforces the right's criticism of him. Personally I think it is really silly for the right to jump all over Huckabee for something he did 9 years ago but again, the double "liberal" whammy is doing in him.

Just my 2 cents and IM blunt HO,

-SLK

Posted By: scrotisloknows... Huckabee took a liberal position on crime (violent criminals can be rehabbed)...

that's not in my playbook... maybe I need an updated issue?

Actually I may have jumped to a conclusion based on other stories I read about Huckleberry. I saw part of an interview with him where he indicated that the prisoner in question had been sentenced to over 100 years for two minor crimes he committed when he was 16. The Arkansas prison board recommended that his sentence be reduced to 47 years, making him eligible for parole. If this is true, and I think it probably is, this isn't a case of his religion effecting his judgement. He followed the recommendation of the prison board.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.