GOP2019: The Devil Made Them Do It

lord_pabulum
BG9 said:
Does anyone remember this mass, major suffering at the border before Trump's presidency? I don't. 
Children locked up, children separated from their parents, etc. 

Obama administration tear gassing of immigrants at the border was only mildly reported.  Previous admins went easy enforcing immigration law.  

ETA - that's what I remember.


BG9
lord_pabulum said:


BG9 said:
Does anyone remember this mass, major suffering at the border before Trump's presidency? I don't. 
Children locked up, children separated from their parents, etc. 
Obama administration tear gassing of immigrants at the border was only mildly reported

Since you know of this I'd like it if you could give us a reputable link giving us the details? If this did occur was it due to border control troops panicking or preventing a major riot? Was it one time? Or was it a standing Obama policy?

The current suffering is due to standing Trump policies.


lord_pabulum
BG9 said:
Since you know of this I'd like it if you could give us a reputable link giving us the details? If this did occur was it due to border control troops panicking or preventing a major riot? Was it one time? Or was it a standing Obama policy?
The current suffering is due to standing Trump policies.

It is what I remember.  It was an answer to your question not an editorial comment.  

As for your request, here is a link

ETA: I think you mean Trump's executive orders not policies.  You also are probably including the Trump administration's enforcing existing immigration laws.



Red_Barchetta
mtierney said:
 You will have to text me, because I made heavenly reservations decades ago!

 I just got off the phone with Gloria Vanderbilt.  Since she was right there at check in, I asked her to check on your reservation.   It seems you have more work to do.  


GL2

Continuing with the theme of “where are we when...,” where are we when our spooks withhold plans from a president because he’s a security risk?


Two administration officials said they believed Mr. Trump had not been briefed in any detail about the steps to place “implants” — software code that can be used for surveillance or attack — inside the Russian grid.

Pentagon and intelligence officials described broad hesitation to go into detail with Mr. Trump about operations against Russia for concern over his reaction — and the possibility that he might countermand it or discuss it with foreign officials, as he did in 2017when he mentioned a sensitive operation in Syria to the Russian foreign minister.

 NYT


Morganna

If you told me back in the day in front of Bethesda Fountain that I would one day be cheering for the FBI, CIA and all of the spooks out there I would have asked, "What was in that punch?"



GL2

OK, I realize this is petty, but isn't anyone mentioning this use of the phrase?


"We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights (sic) when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General," Trump tweeted. "10 minutes before the strike I stopped it."


Cocked and loaded? Isn't it "locked and loaded?"


Looked up "cocked and loaded" but got this on Urban Dictionary:

TOP DEFINITION

cocked and loadedWhen your testicles rise into your body during sex, usually preceding ejaculation. "man I was cocked and loaded, but then her dad walked in so we had to stop." 


Also the name of a rock album.


GL2

Forget the fact that he doesn’t know sight from site. 


proeasdf
nohero said:


BG9 said:

Anyway, I'm sure mt made a funny. As we all know, reservations are not taken.  question 
Reservations aren't necessary.  There's plenty of room (John 14:2).   smile  

 A popular bumper sticker in certain places that puts a vernacular slant to John 14:2.


ml1

I prefer this slant:



Morganna
GL2 said:
OK, I realize this is petty, but isn't anyone mentioning this use of the phrase?


"We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights (sic) when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General," Trump tweeted. "10 minutes before the strike I stopped it."


Cocked and loaded? Isn't it "locked and loaded?"


Looked up "cocked and loaded" but got this on Urban Dictionary:
TOP DEFINITION
cocked and loadedWhen your testicles rise into your body during sex, usually preceding ejaculation. "man I was cocked and loaded, but then her dad walked in so we had to stop." 



Also the name of a rock album.

 He probably confused the phrase with one of the titles of Stormy Daniel's films. Her version of the film G I Jane.


proeasdf
Morganna said:


GL2 said:
OK, I realize this is petty, but isn't anyone mentioning this use of the phrase?


"We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights (sic) when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General," Trump tweeted. "10 minutes before the strike I stopped it."


Cocked and loaded? Isn't it "locked and loaded?"


Looked up "cocked and loaded" but got this on Urban Dictionary:
TOP DEFINITION
cocked and loadedWhen your testicles rise into your body during sex, usually preceding ejaculation. "man I was cocked and loaded, but then her dad walked in so we had to stop." 



Also the name of a rock album.
 He probably confused the phrase with one of the titles of Stormy Daniel's films. Her version of the film G I Jane.

 Phrase-lookout-list for GL2:

1. WRONG: for all intensive purposes

 RIGHT: for all intents and purposes

This phrase originates from early legal speak. The original phrase as used in English law circa 1500s is "to all intents, constructions and purposes."


2. WRONG: pre-Madonna 

RIGHT: prima donna

Although some may argue that the Material Girl is a great example of a prima donna, she has nothing to do with this phrase. It is an Italian phrase that refers to the female lead in an opera or play and is used to refer to someone who considers themselves more important than others.


3. WRONG: nip it in the butt 

RIGHT: nip it in the bud

There's an easy way to remember this one: imagine a flower starting to sprout. You're nipping (pinching or squeezing) the bud before it has a chance to grow.


4. WRONG: on accident 

RIGHT: by accident

You can do something "on purpose", but you can't do something "on accident". Just one of the many exceptions of the English language.


5. WRONG: statue of limitations 

RIGHT: statute of limitations

There is no sculpture outside of court houses called the "Statue of Limitations." "Statute" is just another word for "law".


6. WRONG: Old timer’s disease 

RIGHT: Alzheimer’s disease

Simply a mispronunciation of "Alzheimer's".


See https://www.askmen.com/dating/dating_advice/commonly-confused-phrases.html


PS Wasn't he an English teacher at one time?


PPS Morganna's definition of "cocked and loaded" appears to be from the following site:  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cocked%20and%20loaded


ridski

More like “cucked and loaded” amirite?


GL2

In case anyone is feeling OK about where we are as a country, here's a real eye-opener:


Assailants Invoking Donald Trump in Criminal Defenses, Study Shows

Defendants in at least 36 criminal cases involving violence, threats of violence or assault have invoked President Donald Trump in connection with their purported crimes, according to analysis by ABC News.

"The 36 cases identified by ABC News are remarkable in that a link to the president is captured in court documents and police statements, under the penalty of perjury or contempt," according to the report.

Former presidents Barack Obama and George H.W. Bush did not appear in the networks widespread search of federal and state criminal cases.

In 10 cases, Trump's rhetoric was cited to explain a defendant's violent or menacing actions. In 10 more cases, defendants celebrated President Trump while harassing others. Nine additional cases documented assailants praising the president during or immediately after a physically violent attack.

A few cases did include instances of violence or threats where Trump was invoked in order to target his supporters in Congress.

In 2018, lawyers for a Kansas man convicted in a plot to bomb a mosque attended by Somali refugees argued that Donald Trump's rhetoric leading up to and during the 2016 presidential election should be taken into consideration during his sentencing.

Though Patrick Eugene Stein faced life in prison, his attorneys pleaded with the judge to impose a sentence of no more than 15 years, in part because he was an "early and avid supporter" of Trump. They further alleged the president's language during the campaign was a "backdrop" to Stein's case.

He was ultimately given a 30-year prison sentence.

Lawyers for Cesar Sayoc, who pleaded guilty to mailing pipe bombs to various public figures, told the judge that Sayoc had "found light in Donald J. Trump."

Newsweek


Robert_Casotto

Did they also blame Grand Theft Auto and skittles?


basil

Robert_Casotto said:

Did they also blame Grand Theft Auto and skittles?

Why would they do that?


drummerboy

Representative Steve King hits one out of the park!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/politics/steve-king-rape-incest-comments/index.html
Washington (CNN)Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa questioned on Wednesday whether there would be any population left on Earth if not for rape and incest.
"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape and incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" he said in Urbandale,
Iowa, according to video posted online by the Des Moines Register, which was first to report on the remarks Wednesday. "Considering  all the wars and all the rape and pillage that has taken place ... I know I can't certify that I was not a part of a product of that," King said. "I'd like to think that every one of the lives of us are as precious as any other life," he added. The remarks came as King was defending not allowing exceptions for abortion in cases of rape or incest.

ridski

drummerboy said:

Representative Steve King hits one out of the park!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/politics/steve-king-rape-incest-comments/index.html
Washington (CNN)Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa questioned on Wednesday whether there would be any population left on Earth if not for rape and incest.
"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape and incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" he said in Urbandale,
Iowa, according to video posted online by the Des Moines Register, which was first to report on the remarks Wednesday. "Considering  all the wars and all the rape and pillage that has taken place ... I know I can't certify that I was not a part of a product of that," King said. "I'd like to think that every one of the lives of us are as precious as any other life," he added. The remarks came as King was defending not allowing exceptions for abortion in cases of rape or incest.

 Picture of Commander Steve King's wife and his handmaid, Ofsteve.


GL2

Robert_Casotto said:

Did they also blame Grand Theft Auto and skittles?

 You're incorrigible.  LOL

Of course it's a lame excuse but they see an ally and comrade in the WH.


GL2

Anyone ever try to imagine Steve King's constituents? The folks who elect and re-elect him?


ml1

GL2 said:

 You're incorrigible. 
LOL

Of course it's a lame excuse but they see an ally and comrade in the WH.

 They're using the excuse because it's entirely plausible. 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business