GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

Morganna,

Thanks for your response

No joy in GOP land today, mighty Justice has sided with libs again. I'll take any small victory:

New York (CNN Business)A group of iPhone owners accusing Apple of violating US antitrust rules because of its App Store monopoly can sue the company, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, in the majority opinion, said that when "retailers engage in unlawful anticompetitive conduct that harms consumers," people buying those companies' products have the right to hold the businesses to account.
"That is why we have antitrust law," Kavanaugh wrote. The court's four liberal justices joined Kavanaugh in the 5-4 decision.
The Supreme Court opinion notably does not accuse Apple of violating antitrust law: It holds that consumers have the right to sue the company for monopolistic behavior, because they purchase apps directly from Apple. 

And this ain't the first time:

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to review whether states can block Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers from their Medicaid programs, passing on a pair of cases that would have served as the first major abortion test for the court’s new conservative majority.

Chief Justice John Roberts and the newest justice, Brett Kavanaugh, joined the court's four liberal jurists in turning away a pair of petitions from Kansas and Louisiana seeking the ban on abortion providers.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-defunding-case-845056

This guy could be the next Souter!

OK, I'll probably weep when they have Roe in front of them. Let me enjoy this one, even though I'm an Apple FanGramps.

GL2 said:
This guy could be the next Souter!
OK, I'll probably weep when they have Roe in front of them. Let me enjoy this one, even though I'm an Apple FanGramps.

He's just setting us up. The guy has no integrity. Roe is dead.

GL2 said:
And this ain't the first time:
The Supreme Court on Monday declined to review whether states can block Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers from their Medicaid programs, passing on a pair of cases that would have served as the first major abortion test for the court’s new conservative majority.
Chief Justice John Roberts and the newest justice, Brett Kavanaugh, joined the court's four liberal jurists in turning away a pair of petitions from Kansas and Louisiana seeking the ban on abortion providers.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-defunding-case-845056

I don't know, the GOP is rockin' and rollin' out the pro-life laws. Georgia just signed in a limit to 6 weeks, Louisiana has 3 clinics and was trying for a law that would have eliminated 2 of the clinics. Indiana has a restrictive law that Pence signed as a farewell gift, and I heard a wild number, over a couple of hundred bills waiting for votes in many states.

After the women's march when Trump was elected the discussion among women of FB was very centered on Roe but a few voices argued it was solid. I didn't agree.

When Kavanaugh was reviewed, Ben Sasse mimicked the protestors, insisting this was just the same old alarmist reaction.

Of course this past year he had his own little bill on late term protection and I felt strongly that the Dem votes against it would be used by Trump and as it turned out he spoke graphically about it in his State of the Union address.

Today there was a warning about overturning precedents by Justice Breyer. Many seem to take it as a warning the Roe could be overturned.

And Alabama's governor just signed into law the most extreme ban with no exceptions for rape or incest. Maximum sentence for the doctor could be 99 years.

They are admitting that they want this to go to SCOTUS.

Finally candidates are taking this on. Kristen Gillibrand, than Kamala Harris, Cory Booker asking men to lead the charge against the push to overturn Roe.

Morganna said:
And Alabama's governor just signed into law the most extreme ban with no exceptions for rape or incest. Maximum sentence for the doctor could be 99 years.
They are admitting that they want this to go to SCOTUS.
Finally candidates are taking this on. Kristen Gillibrand, than Kamala Harris, Cory Booker asking men to lead the charge against the push to overturn Roe.

They should do more. Perhaps all the Democratic Candidates should hold a joint demonstration in Montgomery, Alabama.

STANV said:
 They should do more. Perhaps all the Democratic Candidates should hold a joint demonstration in Montgomery, Alabama.

Completely agree that they should do more and of course Missouri is now doing an 8 week ban. I've been watching since the women's march how uncomfortable people are discussing the issue, while Trump ratchets it up.

When Gorsuch and later Kavanaugh were nominated I heard a few women on FB argue that many of us were worrying about nothing. I was annoyed at Ben Sasse mimicking the protestors at the Kavanaugh hearings, sarcastically saying in a high pitched voice, "women are going to die." Yet Sasse a few months later put out a bill which was voted down by Dems and used by Trump ever after.

Many years ago, Rachel Maddow used a map to clarify which states were anxious to overturn Roe and had bills waiting for the right moment. She covered it again in the past few days. I'm hearing surprise from many people but this was out there, just not covered.

I questioned why no candidates were talking about the percentage of conservative judges that were being nominated by Trump and voted in by the GOP. As we have a whole block of voters who grew up with Roe in place, there is a lack of understanding of the risk.

Feeling comfortable in a blue state, overlooks the catastrophe that will occur in the red states. One father said to me, well I guess people will just have to go to another state. Worth looking at the block of states surrounding Florida.

While the states recognize that some of these laws of unenforceable, Louisiana has only 3 clinics. I'm guessing that aggressive moves like Alabama's, threatening a 99 year sentence for the doctor, even if it would be impossible to enforce, would make any doctor think it was not worth the bad press. Very similar to the crowds that used to form outside the clinics to intimidate women.

Pence's ban, before he got his promotion to the WH, required a woman to provide burial services after the procedure. No wonder no one wants to discuss it..

Next will be the Game of Thrones perp walk, "Shame, shame, shame."

A few random thoughts:

These draconian laws aren't going into effect any time soon.

And plenty of nearly-sane GOPers are also appalled by the restrictions.

Best hope at present is corporations' boycotting the affected states.

Hoping this attack on Roe will rally the opposition to rage against the GOP. Some Rs don't want this issue in play in 2020.

But genuinely fear at least some further weakening of Roe once this gets to SCOTUS with McConnell/Trump additions to the Court.

Problem is there are about 300 bills and several states have plans to introduce more restrictions. I believe there are about 22 states that are interested in seeing Roe overturned. If I am correct about 8 are working on legislation.

Voter complacency is the enemy of the Democratic agenda.

In general, all of the Dem candidates truly suck at pinning evils on the Republicans. The R's need to be demonized for their reprehensible actions, whether they're in Washington or in the states.

Which is why Biden is the absolute worst candidate. He's waiting for their "epiphany". Assh0le.

I guess the whole point of the ridiculously extreme actions is to get Roe before  SCOTUS for a trial run with the beer guy and the Garland seat guy.

Cheers for Michigan Dem Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. who announced she will veto the upcoming restrictive bill but the race is on.

I'm wondering what Florida will do. They are surrounded by states with limitations recently passed.

As I posted on another thread, Kristen Gillibrand, who I have been reluctant to consider, is coming out hard on this issue, even showed up in Georgia immediately after. Her attack is convincing, as she has been a voice on the issue of rape in the military and the me too movement.

She resonates when she speaks on this topic, more so than any other female candidate. I'm watching her now and hope she makes the debate stage.

I wouldn't mind seeing her against Trump after his demeaning comment about her begging him on her knees for donations in the past. Nice payback.

drummerboy said:
In general, all of the Dem candidates truly suck at pinning evils on the Republicans. The R's need to be demonized for their reprehensible actions, whether they're in Washington or in the states.

Which is why Biden is the absolute worst candidate. He's waiting for their "epiphany". Assh0le.

It’s such a fraught issue. We want to get back to “ normal” with a safe choice who can beat Trump while also wanting to move forward ...sheesh.

We are in a bubble here, and no matter what we want may not resonate with the rest of the country. I'll cheer for anyone and not hold a grudge that I'm not getting the first vegan candidate.

Now it’s Gorsuch...

The court ruled in favor of Native American rights in in an unusual split where conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch teamed up with the court's four liberals to form a 5-4 majority.

It's the latest case where a justice broke with his fellow conservatives. Last week, President Donald Trump's other appointee, Justice Brett Kavanaugh, sided with the liberals in a 5-4 case against Apple, holding that a group of iPhone owners could bring a lawsuit accusing Apple of violating US antitrust rules.

GL2 said:
Now it’s Gorsuch...
The court ruled in favor of Native American rights in in an unusual split where conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch teamed up with the court's four liberals to form a 5-4 majority.
It's the latest case where a justice broke with his fellow conservatives. Last week, President Donald Trump's other appointee, Justice Brett Kavanaugh, sided with the liberals in a 5-4 case against Apple, holding that a group of iPhone owners could bring a lawsuit accusing Apple of violating US antitrust rules.

But is it Ok to still hate them?

I'll split the difference and limit my hate to Kavanaugh. I'm feeling magnanimous.

Kim Gets It Right For Once!

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea on Monday called U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton a “warmonger” and “defective human product” after he called the North’s recent tests of short-range missile a violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

The statement by an unnamed North Korean foreign ministry spokesman came as President Donald Trump continued his visit to Japan for meetings with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in which the nuclear standoff with North Korea was expected to be high on the agenda.

politico

Assuming Trump has no idea who the cons he's packing the courts with are (Heritage Foundation picks), I'm guessing he was told by neo-cons that Bolton was a good pick too - classic chicken hawk who never met a smaller nation he didn't want to invade.

Since when are we taking the fat dictator guy seriously? Bolton is about as bad as they come, but compared to kim jong un he is practically a saint.

Hey, you’re criticizing one of Trump’s buds!

Meanwhile, I guess we needed more anti-Semitism to feed on, as Rudy goes Soros again. Break out the tiki torches!

President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani interviewed with a Ukrainian news outlet about why he decided not to visit the country after announcing that he would. In the interview, Giuliani blamed Democrats,  financier and philanthropist George Soros, and the former U.S. ambassador in Kyiv for undermining his trip.

where are we when POTUS isn’t fit to own a bar?

ABC board rules against Trump — he may lose his liquor license for Trump DC Hotel

Published

on

By

The House of Representatives may be refusing to initiate impeachment proceedings to determine if President Donald Trump is fit to be president, but he will soon face proceedings to see if his character is adequate for owning a bar.

At issue is the liquor license for Trump’s infamous Washington, DC hotel.

Raw story

How many ways are there to spell “desperation”?

mtierney said:
How many ways are there to spell “desperation”?

You're an expert. Considering how often you desperately defend Trump. Sad.

Seriously, mtierney, where are we when the head of the FEC has to tell POTUS that his intentions are illegal? Or when his character may prevent him from having a liquor license? Or when we have to seriously consider his claims about Iranian sabotage (even in the face of evidence)? This Iran thing may well be the crisis we'd all hoped wouldn't come to pass, when the word of a president is questioned because of his 10,000 lies in 3 years? 

Unfit for office. Unfit for membership in the human race. Gangster president. 

Oh, and career criminal, as anyone who's lived in NY/NJ area has known for years.

If there were a superhero duo for grifters, the team of Trump and Kushner would qualify for a full-color special comic book issue. 

Bullsiht Man and his sidekick Slimey. Instead of a Fortress of Solitude, they could use Deutsche Bank as their lair. I'm imagining other characters for the origin story.

Any help is appreciated.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.