Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

I saw a post today on NextDoor from someone in Newark who indicated they were having trouble getting a vaccination appointment. I'm not sure of the issues, but some link seems to be missing.

I might be mistaken but I recall they were telling us on Friday that you can come over to the Livingston Mall without an appointment now. Indeed there was a couple of guys who came in and they did not have survey numbers. I referred them to the ace check-in lady sitting right in chair #1 and she handled it. It took a while for them to get set up but they did not leave without getting their first Moderna shot.

They were very serious about not allowing anyone not 18 or older to get vaccinated though. The guidance refers to 16 years old on the site so maybe the message will be different Monday.

https://www.livingstonnj.org/1457/COVID-19-Vaccinations#:~:text=The%20vaccination%20center%20location%20for,eligible%20to%20receive%20the%20vaccine.

sprout said:

I saw a post today on NextDoor from someone in Newark who indicated they were having trouble getting a vaccination appointment. I'm not sure of the issues, but some link seems to be missing.

I saw that post as well, and went to essexcovid and checked.  Right then there were thousands of appointments available, at every location in the county.  I didn't understand it either.

FilmCarp said:

I saw that post as well, and went to essexcovid and checked.  Right then there were thousands of appointments available, at every location in the county.  I didn't understand it either.

Two issues you may not consider, lack of information about how to access vaccine appointments and lack of transportation to get to locations where the vaccine is available.  Not everyone qualifies for Essex County Special Transportation and the bus lines do not necessary run between this person's home in Newark and the locations where the vaccine appointments are available.  The bus which connected Newark with Livingston Mall for example was discontinued years ago.  Even if it was not, unvaccinated people may be uncomfortable traveling on public transportation just now.  Hopefully, someone reading that post was able to provide specific information on  both where/how to schedule an available vaccine and how to get to the vaccination site if the person doesn't have access to a personal vehicle.

I think one other area that requires assistance is in-person enrollment, since many may have challenges with the online enrollment processes. 

That NextDoor poster indicated they went to a local Walgreens and got put on a waitlist. But I opened the schedule for that Walgreens, and there are spots open for tomorrow. I would guess in-person assistance to enroll for the vaccinations is not at the level that is needed to reach the many families who are not tech-connected/tech-savvy.

jimmurphy said:

Does anyone know the real hours at Donald M. Payne? The woman on the hotline says 4pm opening but I know for a fact that they were open at 2 on a Friday a couple of weeks ago and they told me 4pm that day too.

Turns out the answer was 3:20pm.

joan_crystal said:

FilmCarp said:

Two issues you may not consider, lack of information about how to access vaccine appointments and lack of transportation to get to locations where the vaccine is available.  Not everyone qualifies for Essex County Special Transportation and the bus lines do not necessary run between this person's home in Newark and the locations where the vaccine appointments are available.  The bus which connected Newark with Livingston Mall for example was discontinued years ago.  Even if it was not, unvaccinated people may be uncomfortable traveling on public transportation just now.  Hopefully, someone reading that post was able to provide specific information on  both where/how to schedule an available vaccine and how to get to the vaccination site if the person doesn't have access to a personal vehicle.

I did consider those things.  Many of the locations have been placed with special consideration for accessibility by Newark residents.  When I lived in the South Ward every block it seemed had a church with a van.  You would think those organizations would have jumped into this long ago.  And I know you are quick to point out senior issues, but a great many families in Newark are multi generational.  Grandkids know the web.  It's on their phone.  There is more to this.  The push ought to be coming from there.  It's not.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!