SEVERE THUNDERSTORM and FLASH FLOOD WARNING 3:15 - 6:15 June 8th 2021

Flash Flood Warning in effect until 6:15
The NWS has issued a flash flood warning for our area. Thunderstorms in the area contain the potential for heavy rain that could cause flooding of small streams and in other low-lying areas.
~~~~~~~~~~~
From the NWS:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFlash Flood WarningNational Weather Service Upton NY315 PM EDT Tue Jun 8 2021
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a
* Flash Flood Warning for... Southeastern Bergen County in northeastern New Jersey... Essex County in northeastern New Jersey... Hudson County in northeastern New Jersey... Eastern Passaic County in northeastern New Jersey... Union County in northeastern New Jersey...
* Until 615 PM EDT.
* At 315 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Flash flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly.
HAZARD...Flash flooding caused by thunderstorms.
SOURCE...Doppler radar.
IMPACT...Flooding of small creeks and streams, urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses as well as other drainage and low lying areas.
* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include... Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Passaic, Bayonne, Plainfield, Bloomfield, Hackensack, Linden, Orange, Bergenfield, Summit, Lyndhurst, Millburn, Rutherford, Secaucus, Harrison, Ridgefield and Caldwell.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flooddeaths occur in vehicles.
Please report flooding to your local law enforcement agency when youcan do so safely.
A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring.If you are in the warned area move to higher ground immediately.Residents living along streams and creeks should take immediateprecautions to protect life and property.

Hoty cats! It is intense over here by Trader Joe's? I suppose it's the same in SOMA. 

Sometimes I see awful stuff headed our way but it dissipates before it arrives here. NOT THIS TIME.

Bad in the Valley in West Orange too. 

This is great.  Cooling things off.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning

NJC003-013-017-039-NYC005-047-061-081-085-082015-
/O.NEW.KOKX.SV.W.0022.210608T1929Z-210608T2015Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
National Weather Service New York NY
329 PM EDT Tue Jun 8 2021

The National Weather Service in Upton NY has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Hudson County in northeastern New Jersey...
  Union County in northeastern New Jersey...
  Southeastern Bergen County in northeastern New Jersey...
  Essex County in northeastern New Jersey...
  Queens County in southeastern New York...
  Richmond County in southeastern New York...
  Bronx County in southeastern New York...
  Kings County in southeastern New York...
  New York (Manhattan) County in southeastern New York...

* Until 415 PM EDT.

* At 327 PM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from Teterboro to Edison, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor hail damage to vehicles is possible. Expect wind
           damage to trees and power lines.

* Severe thunderstorms will be near...
  Hoboken and Lyndhurst around 335 PM EDT.
  Midtown Manhattan and Upper West Side around 340 PM EDT.
  Harlem and Long Island City around 345 PM EDT.
  Mott Haven and RFK Bridge around 350 PM EDT.
  Huguenot and Laguardia Airport around 355 PM EDT.
  Flushing and Throgs Neck Bridge around 400 PM EDT.
  Bayside around 405 PM EDT.
  Coney Island around 415 PM EDT.

This includes the following New York State COVID tent sites
Staten Island OMH...
and Beverly Road in Brooklyn.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

Large hail and damaging winds and continuous cloud to ground
lightning is occurring with these storms. Move indoors immediately.
Lightning is one of nature`s leading killers. Remember, if you can
hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning.

Torrential rainfall is occurring with these storms, and may lead to
flash flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways.

&&

At 3:18pm, we were all in the fray, but to the SSE, the skies were clear. Didn’t last long. 

marylago said:

At 3:18pm, we were all in the fray, but to the SSE, the skies were clear. Didn’t last long. 

Love that church view. The one on Valley near Suzy Que’s? 

jimmurphy said:

marylago said:

Love that church view. The one on Valley near Suzy Que’s? 

Yes! We are across the street from it.

marylago said:

Do the bells still ring every hour/half hour?  I grew up on the other side of the brook in Orange.  The bells would start with a melody at 9 am, then 9 tolls of the bell.  The melody would repeat at 12 noon, then at 6pm, and then at 9 pm, finishing for the night.

marylago said:

The ladder on the roof to the bell tower always catches my eye.  

Friend of mine called me to be aware of some straight line winds tonight in New Jersey. So logically I came here to see if the weather guys have any updates. Didn’t feel like starting a new thread. 

ken said:

marylago said:

Do the bells still ring every hour/half hour?  I grew up on the other side of the brook in Orange.  The bells would start with a melody at 9 am, then 9 tolls of the bell.  The melody would repeat at 12 noon, then at 6pm, and then at 9 pm, finishing for the night.

It rings every hour and half hour from 9am to 8pm. No melody, just a very loud bell. Also, while the bells are real, the timer is digital and loses time. My husband contacted "Ken, the Bell Man," who showed him how to reset it. Once it is off about five minutes or so, we go over and reset it. Much less expensive than a new panel which would cost $2000+.  

marylago said:

It rings every hour and half hour from 9am to 8pm. No melody, just a very loud bell. Also, while the bells are real, the timer is digital and loses time. My husband contacted "Ken, the Bell Man," who showed him how to reset it. Once it is off about five minutes or so, we go over and reset it. Much less expensive than a new panel which would cost $2000+.  

Love that you are maintaining the bells. 

jimmurphy said:

marylago said:

Love that you are maintaining the bells. 

They are good people. They just have loud bells.  cheese

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.