Favorite Cities!

If I were to list my top 10 I would say

1) Rome 
2) Paris   
3) Barcelona  

4) Amsterdam

5) Prague 

6) Munich 

7) Mexico City

8 Quebec City

9 Vancouver 

10 NYC. 



mapleman said:

Not Dublin? Galway?

God no. Dublin is a city of chances and cheats and back stabbing snakes. It is a city where the worst of humanity collects the poison of their country.


If I were to list my top 10 (subjunctive grammar, so don’t expect a list) I’d stack it with cities intended to show how well traveled outside Asia, Africa and South America I was.


DaveSchmidt said:

If I were to list my top 10 (subjunctive grammar, so don’t expect a list) I’d stack it with cities intended to show how well traveled outside Asia, Africa and South America I was.

I’ve never traveled the third world continents. tongue rolleye  


CharlesG said:

mapleman said:

Not Dublin? Galway?

God no. Dublin is a city of chances and cheats and back stabbing snakes. It is a city where the worst of humanity collects the poison of their country.

jaysus. a quote from Leap Year?


I have been to Dublin and Galway. Not much of a fan of Dublin, but did enjoy getting to stay in a professor's room at Trinity when I visited in the summer one year. If I were to include an Irish city I would put Kinsale and Dingle ahead of them. Dingle is one of my favorites spots in the world. I can't argue with 1 through 6, but might move the order around a bit. Haven't been to 7 through 9. Montreal would be up there and Bruges. 


jfinnegan said:

I have been to Dublin and Galway. Not much of a fan of Dublin, but did enjoy getting to stay in a professor's room at Trinity when I visited in the summer one year. If I were to include an Irish city I would put Kinsale and Dingle ahead of them. Dingle is one of my favorites spots in the world. I can't argue with 1 through 6, but might move the order around a bit. Haven't been to 7 through 9. Montreal would be up there and Bruges. 

I wasn’t in love with Montreal but it was also moth season I guess and the city was covered with them.  Swallowed a mouth full more than a few times! 


CharlesG said:

I wasn’t in love with Montreal but it was also moth season I guess and the city was covered with them.  Swallowed a mouth full more than a few times! 

You really do have a problem keeping your trap shut eh…


Jaytee said:

CharlesG said:

I wasn’t in love with Montreal but it was also moth season I guess and the city was covered with them.  Swallowed a mouth full more than a few times! 

You really do have a problem keeping your trap shut eh…

that’s what they say! But even eating was difficult. They were in the restaurants, I’ve never seen anything like it. 


I’ll go 15 deep.

1. New York (1994-2014)

2. Hong Kong (pre 2019)

3. Bangkok

4. Tokyo

5. Paris

6. Rome

7. London

8. Dublin

9. Dubai

10. Montreal

10. Boston

11. Prague

12. Budapest

13. Singapore

12. Saigon

13. Palermo

14. Buenos Aires

15. Berlin


BarneyGumble said:

I’ll go 15 deep.

1. New York (1994-2014)

2. Hong Kong (pre 2019)

3. Bangkok

4. Tokyo

5. Paris

6. Rome

7. London

8. Dublin

9. Dubai

10. Montreal

10. Boston

11. Prague

12. Budapest

13. Singapore

12. Saigon

13. Palermo

14. Buenos Aires

15. Berlin

Tokyo that high? Perhaps it’s next for me. 


there are very few cities I've visited that I don't like. It would be easier to list those, but I don't want to be negative. But here are some that I like for various reasons, even if I don't have a list of "favorites."

Liverpool is a must visit for Beatles fans.

Several cities in Spain are wonderful for the food and history - Barcelona, Granada, Toledo

Venice is overrun by tourists, but it's pretty special after dark when the day trippers have headed back to the mainland.

Austin is fun, but I suspect it's already too late to enjoy what it was before the world discovered it. That goes double for Nashville which has the best musicians anywhere, but has turned into bachelor/bachelorette party central.

Reykjavik is another city that was probably even cooler before the tourists discovered it, but it's still an amazing place to visit.

Lisbon and Porto -- two more cities to visit before they become tourist hells. Amazing food, great history, wonderful people.

LA -- I don't expect people to agree with me on this, because my reasons are personal. I've traveled there so many times, and I have a lot of friends there, so it feels very comfortable when I visit. And the weather is usually wonderful grin 


ml1 said:

there are very few cities I've visited that I don't like. It would be easier to list those, but I don't want to be negative. But here are some that I like for various reasons, even if I don't have a list of "favorites."

Liverpool is a must visit for Beatles fans.

Several cities in Spain are wonderful for the food and history - Barcelona, Granada, Toledo

Venice is overrun by tourists, but it's pretty special after dark when the day trippers have headed back to the mainland.

Austin is fun, but I suspect it's already too late to enjoy what it was before the world discovered it. That goes double for Nashville which has the best musicians anywhere, but has turned into bachelor/bachelorette party central.

Reykjavik is another city that was probably even cooler before the tourists discovered it, but it's still an amazing place to visit.

Lisbon and Porto -- two more cities to visit before they become tourist hells. Amazing food, great history, wonderful people.

LA -- I don't expect people to agree with me on this, because my reasons are personal. I've traveled there so many times, and I have a lot of friends there, so it feels very comfortable when I visit. And the weather is usually wonderful
grin
 

we loved Lisbon and Porto too!


ml1 said:

there are very few cities I've visited that I don't like. It would be easier to list those, but I don't want to be negative. But here are some that I like for various reasons, even if I don't have a list of "favorites."

Liverpool is a must visit for Beatles fans.

Several cities in Spain are wonderful for the food and history - Barcelona, Granada, Toledo

Venice is overrun by tourists, but it's pretty special after dark when the day trippers have headed back to the mainland.

Austin is fun, but I suspect it's already too late to enjoy what it was before the world discovered it. That goes double for Nashville which has the best musicians anywhere, but has turned into bachelor/bachelorette party central.

Reykjavik is another city that was probably even cooler before the tourists discovered it, but it's still an amazing place to visit.

Lisbon and Porto -- two more cities to visit before they become tourist hells. Amazing food, great history, wonderful people.

LA -- I don't expect people to agree with me on this, because my reasons are personal. I've traveled there so many times, and I have a lot of friends there, so it feels very comfortable when I visit. And the weather is usually wonderful
grin
 

I loved Toledo as well. As you say there aren't many cities I wouldn't want to go back to. I didn't like Nicosia in Cyprus and people in Berlin felt a bit cold to me as if they hadn't completely gotten over the Berlin Wall. I'm also not in a rush to go back to Vegas. 


My list- not in any order except #1:

Rome

Bruges 

Porto

London

Florence

Bologna

Dingle

Paris

Chicago 

Charleston 

Segovia 

Munich 


Jeez, nobody mentioned one of my very favorite cities: San Francisco. Beautiful city in every way. Culture, sightseeing, dining, drinking, boating, parks, mountains, and close to so much more. 

[Hated Paris the two times I was there. I need to visit with a local person, I guess.]

Otherwise, of the cities I've visited: 

New York (the best!)

London 

Rome

Chicago

Miami

Panama City, Panama 

Florence

San Diego

San Juan, PR


Siena

Valletta 

Sheep’s Head/Skibbereen/Baltimore in West Cork (not a city, but)

Amsterdam

Pisa

New York

Rome

Marbella

Lisbon (at night)

Ephesus 


ETA that was fun. Love aspects of Miami and San Juan too.


Starsong said:

Siena

Valletta 

Sheep’s Head/Skibbereen/Baltimore in West Cork (not a city, but)

Amsterdam

Pisa

New York

Rome

Marbella

Lisbon (at night)

Ephesus 

ETA that was fun. Love aspects of Miami and San Juan too.

Pisa? I was under the impression it wasn’t such a must see city. I stand corrected! 


CharlesG said:

Pisa? I was under the impression it wasn’t such a must see city. I stand corrected! 

It depends how you lean.


Jasmo said:

CharlesG said:

Pisa? I was under the impression it wasn’t such a must see city. I stand corrected! 

It depends how you lean.

He stands corrected.


DaveSchmidt said:

Jasmo said:

CharlesG said:

Pisa? I was under the impression it wasn’t such a must see city. I stand corrected! 

It depends how you lean.

He stands corrected.

This one takes a Pisa my heart. 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Real Estate Listings

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!