My iPad constantly show a message that it has to refresh whatever site I am trying to open ? It is over the top irritating, but perhaps there is some sort of fix less drastic and expensive?

I always do upgrades as they come along. 

I do a great deal of my shopping online out of necessity. Suggestions welcomed  surprised 

Just happened again :"problem occurred with this website so page has to be reloaded"

I hate to say you should go spend another $500 because I know how much that hurts. On the other hand, you've gotten your money's worth out of it. I got my ipad (mini) in 2014, and it has become irritatingly slow. My iphone is newer, and while it's smaller, it's more pleasant to use because it's faster, and as a result, I use the iphone more often.

short answer  - yes. Apple stopped providing software updates for the 1st Gen iPad over five years ago.  I replaced my 2nd Gen iPad when software updates were discontinued. 

You can try a factory reset and start over before you spring for a new one.

My 2011 iPad is on its way out--same issue with websites and always dropping to 1X cell service (It's only 3G). I really don't want to spend the money on a new one, but it's becoming unusable. Better at home with WiFi but really turning into a brick outside the home.

A first-gen iPad can only run iOS 5.1, which hasn't had an update since 2012. Security-wise you're probably an open book. Your problem with web sites is also going to be because your browser is out of date. It would be updated if your system was updated. Even if you wanted to install Chrome, the current version of that requires 9.0.

So, yeah. I would recommend no longer using that device. As a rule of thumb I would say that if your IS is no longer being updated then you should retire a device. While iOS devices aren't the most vulnerable things out there, they certainly have vulnerabilities and the only real way you deal with that is by keeping up to date.

Tom_Reingold said:

I hate to say you should go spend another $500 because I know how much that hurts. On the other hand, you've gotten your money's worth out of it. I got my ipad (mini) in 2014, and it has become irritatingly slow. My iphone is newer, and while it's smaller, it's more pleasant to use because it's faster, and as a result, I use the iphone more often.

Tom -- The IPAD is/was overpriced.   At a  $500.00 cost point,  it should last longer.  It is grossly overpriced for a product that they decided not to support for more than 3 years (and typical of Apple and Microsoft).  

the IPhone's cost about $700 and basically have a 3 year lifespan.  And reports have the Iphone 8 (or whatever they might call it) will cost $1,000.  We should expect more and push the manufacturers to improve the quality and support.

@mikescott, I'm totally with you. I considered not getting an iphone last year because the prices are insane. I nearly fainted when I saw the prices. I had an iphone 4, not a 4S. At least that lasted a long time. I replaced it with a 6S.

what happens to your stuff when you get a new one? Do you have to go to an Apple Store? I would most likely make a purchase online.

When will my 2014 iPhone 5s bite the dust?

I guess my iMac laptop,circa 2012, is now just a typewriter

question 

So you want to back up your current iPad to iTunes, so when you get the new one, you'll activate and update from old iPad. All your info should carry over. A 5C can continue to work well, just don't allow anymore new software updates. They will just slow it down.  As for iMac, I think you're good for quite a while. 

mtierney said:

what happens to your stuff when you get a new one? Do you have to go to an Apple Store? I would most likely make a purchase online.

When will my 2014 iPhone 5s bite the dust?

I guess my iMac laptop,circa 2012, is now just a typewriter

question 

My old ipad will no longer work with Itunes.  Only thing I care about are the pictures and guy at Apple store told me to make an appointment and they would be able to transfer everything.  they said to allow two hours.  one of these days.  

nearest Apple Store to me is Atlantic City. Maybe I can win while I wait. BTW, if I buy it elsewhere is there a problem -- conversely, do you get a better deal buying it in an Apple Store?

I will preface by saying that I agree with those who are saying it's probably time to upgrade to a newer model. If you bought it new, then you've gotten 7+ years of use out of it, which IMO is pretty good by any measure in the computing world.

That said, the specific website message you are seeing is a known issue, and there are a number of things you might try to alleviate the problem. THIS IS A LINK to a page that addresses the issue in clear detail.

As it says on that page, if you are only seeing the reload error once in awhile on only a few websites, it may in fact be a problem with those sites. If that's the case, then obviously there's nothing you can do about it. On the other hand, if you are seeing the problem consistently, across all (or nearly all) the websites you visit, here's an excerpt from the link above with some things you might try:

FOLLOW ALL STEPS IN ORDER, ONE AFTER THE OTHER

1. Close all open apps by double pressing the Home button then swipe up on all open apps
  2. Clear your browser’s history and website data by going to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data
  3. Reset your network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

*NOTE that resetting your network settings will require you to re-enter the password(s) for all network(s) you subsequently wish to connect to, including your own.

4. Restart your device:

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off
  3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo

5. Then Reset your iPad:

Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo

Good luck.

Best deal on IPADs are usually at Best Buy or Sam's Club.  Every now and then Target runs a special.  Verizon has had some special deals tied into renewing your phone contract.  

I am still debating if I really need an IPAD or if will just switch to a large screen IPhone. 

and when I retire, I am tossing them both in the ocean and will look to become the least connected person ever.  oh oh

I have also considered replacing the iPad with a bigger phone. But I hesitate when I realize I will be holding/using/tucking into pocket or purse! I also have carpel tunnel. I like the idea of  downsizing to two devices  grin 

any complaints about the large screen iPhones?

mikescott said:

Best deal on IPADs are usually at Best Buy or Sam's Club.  Every now and then Target runs a special.  Verizon has had some special deals tied into renewing your phone contract.  

I am still debating if I really need an IPAD or if will just switch to a large screen IPhone. 

and when I retire, I am tossing them both in the ocean and will look to become the least connected person ever.  oh oh

I have an iPhone 6S. I think it's great. I work in IT so I occasionally need to do emergency work that entails needing to remote in to a server a restart a service or check on something and it's much more comfortable on this than it was on my old phone.

mtierney said:

I have also considered replacing the iPad with a bigger phone. But I hesitate when I realize I will be holding/using/tucking into pocket or purse! I also have carpel tunnel. I like the idea of  downsizing to two devices  grin 

any complaints about the large screen iPhones?
mikescott said:

I have an iPhone 6+ (the large version of the 6), and I got it specifically to see if I could use it to replace my iPad. For quite some time I deliberately ignored the iPad, and there was no real problem using the phone instead. But ultimately I did go back to using both. The phone is fine for commuting or such, but I just like the page-sized screen of the iPad when I'm sitting around the house or whatever, when portability isn't an issue.

mtierney, Apple store will help with your device even if you didn't buy it there.  DH did not believe this but finally went there and was very happily surprised.

Oops, I meant to say 6S+ above! Big phone!!

I haven't read the thread, but the only reason to ever upgrade a device is if it is not giving you want you want.

If it's ten years old and fills your needs, why upgrade?

drummerboy said:

I haven't read the thread, but the only reason to ever upgrade a device is if it is not giving you want you want.

If it's ten years old and fills your needs, why upgrade?

I think we can all agree with that. But mtierney started this thread to find out how she can get what she wants, because her current ipad isn't giving it to her.

I actually disagree - if a device is no longer "supported" i.e. no security updates are provided it is time for an upgrade.  

Do you believe, since the new Apple phone debuts this week, the 6 or 7 will be more affordable?

mtierney said:

Do you believe, since the new Apple phone debuts this week, the 6 or 7 will be more affordable?

Yes.

ElizMcCord said:

mtierney said:

Yes.

But probably not literally this week. What generally happens is they unveil an iPhone at the event, then a few days later they start taking pre-orders, and then the phones actually hit the market about another week or ten days after that. The prices of the 6 and 7 will not likely go down until the new phones are actually on sale.

Buy a used iPad Air (1st Gen) on eBay. I am still going strong on that model and it is very snappy.

davidbuckley said:

Buy a used iPad Air (1st Gen) on eBay. I am still going strong on that model and it is very snappy.

This is also the model I use. No problems.

My mother just replaced her 2nd generation ipad with a 2017 ipad (32GB with wifi + cellular).  She bought it outright at Verizon for $280 (retail is $459).  I believe she is paying $10-20/month to add it to her existing cellular plan.

mtierney said:

My iPad constantly show a message that it has to refresh whatever site I am trying to open ? It is over the top irritating, but perhaps there is some sort of fix less drastic and expensive?

I do a great deal of my shopping online out of necessity. Suggestions welcomed  surprised 

Just happened again :"problem occurred with this website so page has to be reloaded"

I will surely expose my Luddite mindset, but what is cellular on  confused an iPad?

erins said:

My mother just replaced her 2nd generation ipad with a 2017 ipad (32GB with wifi + cellular).  She bought it outright at Verizon for $280 (retail is $459).  I believe she is paying $10-20/month to add it to her existing cellular plan.

mtierney said:

Cellular on an ipad makes it function like a phone - you will have internet access everywhere vs. only having it when you are hooked up to an available wifi.

mtierney said:

I will surely expose my Luddite mindset, but what is cellular on  confused an iPad?
erins said:

mtierney said:

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.