Covid-19 Response - or Over Reaction?

tomcat said:

Having multiple for-profit hospitals/healthcare networks does not allow for a centralized, coordinated response to a pandemic (and appointing political hacks to head agencies such as CDC certainly doesn't help).

The European national systems have their flaws (and there will be revisions once this Pandemic is over), but they do provide a better starting point.

+10000

Add to that the fact that sick people all across the country are afraid to seek treatment because their astronomical Obamacare deductibles will bankrupt them if they do and you can clearly see the cruel folly of the American system of healthcare(denial). 

If this doesn't wake this country up then nothing will. 

Health care is a human right. Period.

Klinker said:

+10000

Add to that the fact that sick people all across the country are afraid to seek treatment because their astronomical Obamacare deductibles will bankrupt them if they do and you can clearly see the cruel folly of the American system of healthcare(denial). 

The feds mandated that tests be free, no copays or deductibles. The same should be for treatment. I'm sure we can afford it considering we're throwing 55 billion at airlines.

basil said:

Another question that should be addressed after this is all over. Communities (including MOL) are being asked to make mouth-masks and donate to hospitals, donate gloves, and other protective equipment. And I know a few medical responders, and I know it is true that they have shortages (they will use one pair of gloves for the whole day etc.). So I am all for helping them. But here is my question: our payments for medical procedures, doctors, hospitals, etc. are the highest in the civilized world (not even close). We pay several times more than anyone else in the world for the same procedure. So if that money is not spent on materials and equipment (obviously), and I do not think it is spent on exorbitant salaries for nurses either, then where does all this money flow to? How is it possible we pay more than anyone else on hospitals, but we also have to donate gloves because they can't buy them themselves?

I don't think the inability to buy gloves, etc, is a financial issue. It's a supply problem.

basil said:

Another question that should be addressed after this is all over. Communities (including MOL) are being asked to make mouth-masks and donate to hospitals, donate gloves, and other protective equipment. And I know a few medical responders, and I know it is true that they have shortages (they will use one pair of gloves for the whole day etc.). So I am all for helping them. But here is my question: our payments for medical procedures, doctors, hospitals, etc. are the highest in the civilized world (not even close). We pay several times more than anyone else in the world for the same procedure. So if that money is not spent on materials and equipment (obviously), and I do not think it is spent on exorbitant salaries for nurses either, then where does all this money flow to? How is it possible we pay more than anyone else on hospitals, but we also have to donate gloves because they can't buy them themselves?

Hospitals like all other institutions purchase the supplies they need to meet the demand being placed on them.  Long range planning did not allow for the world-wide demand for personal protective equipment (PPEs) needed to respond to a pandemic of the size we are experiencing at the moment.  Not just supply but the ability to manufacture domestically and ship PPEs where needed to meet this unprecedented demand is a large part of the problem here.  As we are depending increasingly on other countries to supply the PPEs used in our hospitals, our ability to produce large quantities of scare goods ourselves diminishes.  When conditions in the health sector eventually return to normal demand, we need to take a closer look at our manufacturing sector, especially as applies to producing basic materials we need for survival and find ways to strengthen it. 

drummerboy said:

I don't think the inability to buy gloves, etc, is a financial issue. It's a supply problem.

But you can buy these gloves on Amazon.

basil said:

drummerboy said:

But you can buy these gloves on Amazon.

Yeah, I dunno. All that I had heard is that they lacked supplies, not money.

This is don't-miss interview with a Richard Epstein, who wrote a piece for the Hoover Institute which basically said we were incredibly over-reacting. The essay found favor with the WH. Epstein is a well known attorney, one of the most cited during his career.

The interview is by Isaac Chotiner of the New Yorker, who gets Epstein to reveal himself to be  an ignorant assclown (on this subject) , with a Trumpian penchant for revenge and self-aggrandizement..

The interview is a beautiful thing.

drummerboy said:

This is don't-miss interview with a Richard Epstein, who wrote a piece for the Hoover Institute which basically said we were incredibly over-reacting. The essay found favor with the WH. Epstein is a well known attorney, one of the most cited during his career.

The interview is by Isaac Chotiner of the New Yorker, who gets Epstein to reveal himself to be  an ignorant assclown (on this subject) , with a Trumpian penchant for revenge and self-aggrandizement..

Wow

drummerboy said:

Another article on that guy, linked here - 

Opened this a few minutes ago — 

Best-Case Scenario: August Peak For Coronavirus In Ocean County

If everyone in Ocean County adheres to strict social distancing, infections could be 14,000; it could be 10 times higher if rules relax.

By Karen Wall, Patch Staff Learn how you can verify your Patch account." data-placement="bottom" data-original-title="Verified Neighbor" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Mar 30, 2020 8:21 am ET

mtierney said:

Opened this a few minutes ago — 

Best-Case Scenario: August Peak For Coronavirus In Ocean County

If everyone in Ocean County adheres to strict social distancing, infections could be 14,000; it could be 10 times higher if rules relax.

By Karen Wall, Patch Staff Learn how you can verify your Patch account." data-placement="bottom" data-original-title="Verified Neighbor" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Mar 30, 2020 8:21 am ET

Estimates I have seen say that two thirds of Americans will eventually (over the course of two years) get it.  I don't know about August but that would give your county a total of 400,000 cases and, with the current mortality rate, 4,000 dead.

In any case, the best case scenario would have involved the Administration organizing a cohesive response when the magnitude of the threat first became obvious back at the end of January.  Obviously, we will not be seeing a "best case scenario".

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.