Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Alan Bean, artist and astronaut. 

I know that many of you would have watched The Rabbit-proof Fence a few years back, when Australian films about Australia were popular. The event on which the film is based happened almost a century ago and at that time the fence was the longest in the world.

The youngest of the sisters and cousin who walked home across the desert, following the fence, has just died, aged 95 years. Out of respect for her customs and her community I’m not mentioning her name.  

She seems to have had a remarkable life in spite of the many disadvantages that come with living in remote communities, and being indigenous. 

When my parents first heard the girls’ story, they were sitting around the kitchen table watching a Sunday current affairs program. They sat and cried as if a family member had cried, and kept hugging us three kids all afternoon. Whispers all week between the aunties and uncles that such a thing could happen here, in Australia. They made sure we understood how brave the girls were, how brave they were as women standing against racial discrimination in their own country, and how no child should be taken unwillingly from the family. If only all families could learn these Aunties’ messages of acceptance and respect for all. 

We saw that movie. Heartbreaking.

According to 1010 WINS - Kate Spade - suicide

Jerry Maren. The absolutely last Munchkin. 98

LOL This household is sad

Wow! He was the poster boy for “living your best life!” ! So sad!!

Dammit. He must have found the road back to heroin in his old age. 

cramer said:

LOL 

I have two DVRs, one for my family and one for me. Mine stays at 98% percent full. 70% of that is Anthony Bourdain. His show was magnificent, the concept was brilliant and the execution close to perfection. I didn't always agree with his approach or his politics but his acceptance of and attraction to different cultures was always fascinating and authentic. I'm sorry to hear that he's succumbed to demons but I'm thankful for his artistry and attention to the detail that so many others missed.

RIP

He was a hero to my now young adult son.  Our collective first reaction was "how's [my son] going to take it."

I have a weakness for people who are irreverent and contrarian but I guess those traits often go along with personal demons like depression.

Concerning Anthony Bourdain - For the past two years he had been dating Asia Argento and he spoke about  being very happy. Unfortunately the last few months she has been photographed with another man  and enjoying Europe. This could be another reason for the suicide.

cramer said:

Suicide is contagious.  The media has been careful about the details of Bourdain's death.

nytimes.com:  The Science Behind Suicide Contagion

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/upshot/the-science-behind-suicide-contagion.html

Gena Turgel, known as the Bride of Belsen, has died aged 95 years. A powerful voice for Shoah survivors, her life is an example of love rebuilding hope where bleakness and pain thrives. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/08/gena-turgel-holocaust-survivor-bride-belsen-dies

May her family and friends find comfort knowing millions mourn with them. 

Eunice Grayson, the first Bond girl, on 8 June:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44425293

Danny Kirwan, of Fleetwood Mac, on Friday. 

Albatross is such a classic, and still a joy to hear. 

What a sad weekend this is!

joanne said:
Danny Kirwan, of Fleetwood Mac, on Friday. 
Albatross is such a classic, and still a joy to hear. 

His swan song with the Mac, Bare Trees, is an album, vinyl crackles and all, that always makes me very happy.

I’m sure I’m far from the only fan sharing this one:

oh! I’m sad to hear this news!

Condolences to you, Mtierney.

Condolences, MTierney...

The No. 29 album on the Billboard 200 chart for Sept. 19, 1970, opens with these words:

I understand that time is running out (tick-tock tick-tock) I understand that time is running out (tick-tock tick-tock) I understand that time is running out (tick-tock tick-tock) I understand that time is running out (tick-tock tick-tock) Running out as hastily as n*****s run from the Man

Jalal Mansur Nuriddin, a leader of the Last Poets, died on June 4. I missed the news until The Times belatedly reported it. (The link is to a Guardian article by one of his later managers.) R.I.P.

galileo said:
mtierney's husband .

So very sorry mtierney. Not easy...

galileo said:
mtierney's husband .

Oh,so sorry Tierney.

galileo said:
mtierney's husband .

So sorry to hear this. My condolences @mtierney

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.