Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

One of those songs I loved the very first time I heard it, on a bizarrely eclectic compilation cassette that my mom chose when enrolling me in the Columbia House club one Christmas. (Steve Martin Caro, meet J.P. Richardson.)

Gosh, Christopher Tolkien has died. Aged 95years. 

Don Larsen died on Jan. 1st.  He is the only player to pitch a perfect game in the World Series. 
Surprisingly, he had a losing record for his career.

drummerboy said:

one of my favorite songs. RIP

Never knew this was a cover.   Now I know.

M C Beaton,aka Marion Chesney,83. British fun mystery writer featuring Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin. 

galileo said:

M C Beaton,aka Marion Chesney,83. British fun mystery writer featuring Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin. 

Sad news, indeed. As with Tolkien (the last child, and cartographer of Middle Earth), there's a great legacy for us to treasure. 

(Yes, I know the genres are quite different question

Australian French horn player and conductor, Barry Tuckwell. He was one of the world's most-recorded horn players, with some 50 recordings to his credit.

https://www.abc.net.au/classic/read-and-watch/news/vale-barry-tuckwell/11876484

I had never made the connection with "Mr Derek". Doubly sad now.

Oh, so many this week. What a beginning to the year. LOL LOL

galileo said:

I always liked the Hamish Macbeth stories - sorry to see the author has passed away. I'd missed seeing this earlier in the week.

Jimmy Heath 93. Father of longtime South Orange resident James Mtume

annielou said:

Jimmy Heath 93. Father of longtime South Orange resident James Mtume

And, with his brothers, a Philadelphia Walk of Famer.

Terry Jones. :-(  Easily the best female of the Pythons, imho.

Train_of_Thought said:

Terry Jones. :-(  Easily the best female of the Pythons, imho.

It’s all too much now. I can’t even start an argument, or begin to hum the Spam song... This January is just too grim.  tongue laugh

Adding so I see him whenever I call up the Forum menu:

You probably have to be a Philly ex-pat of a certain age for Gene London to mean anything to you, which might limit this obituary’s relevance to an MOL audience of only me, but here it is.

https://www.inquirer.com/obituaries/gene-london-obituary-philadelphia-tv-host-cartoon-corners-20200121.html

One of the last to be lost from a pantheon of local stars that included Sally Starr, Captain Noah, Pixanne, and Chief Halftown, Mr. London — born in Cleveland as Eugene Yulish — hosted a show on WCAU (Channel 10) from 1959 to 1977 that aired under a variety of titles, including Cartoon Corners and The Wonderful World of Gene London.

After the TV show ended, he went on to work in the fashion industry as a designer in New York for Broadway shows, television, and films, as well as for private clients. Fashion was also his hobby, and he regularly exhibited selections from his 60,000-piece collection of Hollywood costumes and accessories.

DaveSchmidt said:

Yes, I have only a hazy memory of the show (watching from outside Trenton) but I remember liking it and looking forward to it.

We’ve lost some significant Aussies, too, so I really empathise with Dave Schmidt and with Ridski, for their notable losses this month. There was a period a couple of years ago when we seemed to lose about 20 people  who had shaped history and popular culture. 
It’s feeling like this is another of those seasons. 

And we’re already three-quarters through January. Can we please slow this year down a little?

I’m going off to find some Philosophers Football to watch. 

John Karlen, the actor who played Willie Loomis on the 60s Gothic soap, "Dark Shadows", as well as Tyne Daley's husband on "Cagney and Lacey" passed away very recently. I can't have been the only one who raced home from school to see "Dark Shadows," can I?

cody said:

John Karlen, the actor who played Willie Loomis on the 60s Gothic soap, "Dark Shadows", as well as Tyne Daley's husband on "Cagney and Lacey" passed away very recently. I can't have been the only one who raced home from school to see "Dark Shadows," can I?

Nope - we had  whole crew of kids watching Dark Shadows. It was quite the cultural phenomenon.

Jim Lehrer,PBS news anchor,85

Very sad. He was getting a lot of attention yesterday as James passed him on the all-time scoring list during the Lakers-76ers game, and I was thinking how happy he seemed in his post-NBA career writing books and making films.

ml1 said:

Kobe Bryant Dies In Helicopter Crash

Seems like one that deserves it's own thread. 

Grandmaster IP Ching

Radio icon Harry Harrison. :-( 

Train_of_Thought said:

Radio icon Harry Harrison. :-( 

Who reminded listeners each morning that "Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift." 

NFL Hall of Famer, Chris Doleman, 58.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.