Bourbon from Trump-free states?

basil

Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.


apple44

Widow Jane from Brooklyn, Few from Illinois


mrincredible

A little googling reveals that Cooper River distillery in Camden produces a bourbon. It's available in Total Wine up in Essex Green.


jfinnegan

Hudson Baby. It's available at the Wine Barrel.


LOST
gerritn said:
Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.

 Even I think that that's extreme.

Should I not watch the Kentucky Derby next year?


tjohn
LOST said:


gerritn said:
Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.
 Even I think that that's extreme.
Should I not watch the Kentucky Derby next year?

It's not like you have to sacrifice quality when you switch to whiskeys made in New York or New Jersey.

Of course, there is no substitute for singing My Old Kentucky Home at the Kentucky Derby, so foregoing that would be extreme.


ml1
apple44 said:
Widow Jane from Brooklyn, Few from Illinois

 that's a very good one.  


LOST said:


gerritn said:
Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.
 Even I think that that's extreme.
Should I not watch the Kentucky Derby next year?

 Agreed.  I'm not boycotting businesses just because they're in states with lots of Republicans.  I don't even boycott businesses for supporting Republicans.  If I'm boycotting a business it's because of an objection over how they run their business.  

Another issue with trying to buy whiskey from other states is that regardless of where the company's headquarters are, a whole lot of spirits companies actually source their product from one enormous distillery in Indiana.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana


Terry
gerritn said:
Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.

It appears 141,000 Brooklyn voters pulled the lever for Trump in 2016. So you will need to interview proprietors individually to make sure their establishments are Trump-free.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_and_politics_in_Brooklyn



weirdbeard
ml1 said:


apple44 said:
Widow Jane from Brooklyn, Few from Illinois
 that's a very good one.  


LOST said:

gerritn said:
Just asking for a friend, if you like Bourbon but you don't want to send money to Kentucky or other Trump voting states, what would you buy? There seem to be some pretty good Bourbons from Brooklyn.
 Even I think that that's extreme.
Should I not watch the Kentucky Derby next year?
 Agreed.  I'm not boycotting businesses just because they're in states with lots of Republicans.  I don't even boycott businesses for supporting Republicans.  If I'm boycotting a business it's because of an objection over how they run their business.  
Another issue with trying to buy whiskey from other states is that regardless of where the company's headquarters are, a whole lot of spirits companies actually source their product from one enormous distillery in Indiana.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana

 Another caveat is that even the non-Kentucky whiskey makers may be ultimately-owned by the same conglomerates that own some of the Kentucky-based makers.  There's a lot of consolidation in this industry -- it's a big source of debate within the craft beer and spirits communities (can you be considered "craft" if you're operations are still bespoke and small-scale, but you're 40% owned by Anheiser-Busch - which itself is owned by InBev?  Discuss....).  

For that matter, I believe that Jim Beam is owned by Diageo, which is based I think in the UK or maybe Luxembourg.  Does it still count as Kentucky-based?


basil
cramer said:
Who said Democrats don't drink bourbon? 
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/01/republicans-drink-bourbon-democrats-drink-vodka-ac.html

 Holy sh-t, so my friend is really a closet-republican?


Robert

Totally agree. Let's boycott Johnny Depp and George Clooney too.


Jackson Fusion

Have we hit peak MOL?


ml1

MOL is irrelevant on this topic when the rest of the world is slapping tariffs on Kentucky whiskey. 


Eliz
Robert_Casotto said:
Totally agree. Let's boycott Johnny Depp and George Clooney too.

Hey now! We have got to be reasonable


cramer

Well, now I know where the term "champagne liberal" comes from. 

eta: We try to offset it with 2 Buck Chuck. 



Scott

Bourbon from Oregon, Black Maple Hill.  Very good.



LOST
Robert_Casotto said:
Totally agree. Let's boycott Johnny Depp and George Clooney too.

 Are those the names of whiskeys, like Johnnie Walker or Jack Daniels?

Or are those two actors marketing whiskey brands like Paul Newman and salad dressing?


ml1
LOST said:


Robert_Casotto said:
Totally agree. Let's boycott Johnny Depp and George Clooney too.
 Are those the names of whiskeys, like Johnnie Walker or Jack Daniels?
Or are those two actors marketing whiskey brands like Paul Newman and salad dressing?

Clooney has a stake in Casamigos tequila. Depp, I don't know  


mrincredible

This thread is actually a pretty interesting exploration of the futility of tribalism.



Robert

KFC. Need I say more.


basil
mrincredible said:
This thread is actually a pretty interesting exploration of the futility of tribalism.


 What makes you think this is tribalism?


mrincredible

Because it's classifying an entire state as worthy of some kind of retribution because a majority of the voters there selected Trump.  It doesn't take into account anything like understanding the people such an action would actually affect, nor does it allow for the possibility that a distillery owner in Brooklyn or NJ might have voted for Trump.

I suppose it begs the question what are you trying to accomplish?  If it's to not give your money to a business owned by a Trump voter, this isn't the way.  It's just lumping all Kentuckians into a group worthy of retaliation.


dave23

Do the opposite and take your friend to Kentucky for bourbon-tasting tours and get to know the people, and let them get to know you.


basil
mrincredible said:
Because it's classifying an entire state as worthy of some kind of retribution because a majority of the voters there selected Trump.  It doesn't take into account anything like understanding the people such an action would actually affect, nor does it allow for the possibility that a distillery owner in Brooklyn or NJ might have voted for Trump.
I suppose it begs the question what are you trying to accomplish?  If it's to not give your money to a business owned by a Trump voter, this isn't the way.  It's just lumping all Kentuckians into a group worthy of retaliation.

So when Indiana and North Carolina enacted anti-LGBT laws, and many companies and even some states and municipalities reacted by withdrawing events, purchases, travel, etc, forcing at least Indiana to walk back some of this anti-LGBT nonsense, you were actually against that?


mrincredible
gerritn said:


mrincredible said:
Because it's classifying an entire state as worthy of some kind of retribution because a majority of the voters there selected Trump.  It doesn't take into account anything like understanding the people such an action would actually affect, nor does it allow for the possibility that a distillery owner in Brooklyn or NJ might have voted for Trump.
I suppose it begs the question what are you trying to accomplish?  If it's to not give your money to a business owned by a Trump voter, this isn't the way.  It's just lumping all Kentuckians into a group worthy of retaliation.
So when Indiana and North Carolina enacted anti-LGBT laws, and many companies and even some states and municipalities reacted by withdrawing events, purchases, travel, etc, forcing at least Indiana to walk back some of this anti-LGBT nonsense, you were actually against that?

 Nope.


Vacanculo

Bourbon comes from Tennessee and Kentucky period.


LOST
Vacanculo said:
Bourbon comes from Tennessee and Kentucky period.

 It is my understanding that to be called Bourbon it must come from Kentucky. I could be wrong. Easy enough to check.

If Wikipedia is reliable:

Bourbon whiskey /bɜːrbən/ is a type of American whiskey, a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name derives from the French Bourbon dynasty, although the precise inspiration for the whiskey's name is unsettled; contenders include Bourbon County in Kentucky and Bourbon Street in New Orleans.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits


Vacanculo

Tennessee whiskey is straight whiskey produced in Tennessee. Although it has been legally defined as a bourbon whiskey in some international trade agreements, most current producers of Tennessee whiskey disclaim references to their products as "bourbon" and do not label them as such on any of their bottles or advertising materials. All current producers are required by Tennessee law to produce their whiskey in Tennessee and, with the sole exception of Benjamin Prichard's, to also use a filtering step known as the Lincoln County Process prior to aging the whiskey.

Beyond perceived marketing value of the distinction, Tennessee whiskey and bourbon have almost identical requirements and most Tennessee whiskeys meet the criteria for bourbon.

Tennessee whiskey is one of the top ten exports of Tennessee. According to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, as of 2013, the U.S. market for bourbon and Tennessee whiskey reached $2.4 billion, and exports of bourbon and Tennessee whiskey grew to exceed $1 billion. There are currently two major producers of Tennessee whiskey – Jack Daniel's (owned by Brown-Forman) and George Dickel (owned by Diageo) – and other smaller producers (Nelson's Green Brier Distillery, TennSouth, Benjamin Prichard's, and Collier & McKeel). In June 2017, the Tennessee Distillers Guild launched the Tennessee Whiskey Trail, a 25-stop distillery tour across the state, to further promote Tennessee whiskey and local whiskey culture.




basil
mrincredible said:


gerritn said:

mrincredible said:
Because it's classifying an entire state as worthy of some kind of retribution because a majority of the voters there selected Trump.  It doesn't take into account anything like understanding the people such an action would actually affect, nor does it allow for the possibility that a distillery owner in Brooklyn or NJ might have voted for Trump.
I suppose it begs the question what are you trying to accomplish?  If it's to not give your money to a business owned by a Trump voter, this isn't the way.  It's just lumping all Kentuckians into a group worthy of retaliation.
So when Indiana and North Carolina enacted anti-LGBT laws, and many companies and even some states and municipalities reacted by withdrawing events, purchases, travel, etc, forcing at least Indiana to walk back some of this anti-LGBT nonsense, you were actually against that?
 Nope.

That strikes me as inconsistent.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.