DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

STANV said:

So Biden should have modified it to say "over the last 100 years".?

It's a good attack on Trump as a campaign tactic. What would be the response from trump supporters, "No he's not the first"?

The last century would have still encompassed Wilson.  Maybe he meant to say "since Dick Nixon" but even that would be arguable.

Occam's Razor says that he meant what he said.  The dude isn't exactly woke.  Still better than the other moron but Jesus, we how did we come to this juncture?

Klinker said:

STANV said:

It's a good attack on Trump as a campaign tactic. What would be the response from trump supporters, "No he's not the first"?

The last century would have still encompassed Wilson.  Maybe he meant to say "since Dick Nixon" but even that would be arguable.

Occam's Razor says that he meant what he said.  The dude isn't exactly woke.  Still better than the other moron but Jesus, we how did we come to this juncture?

Sigh. You are back. Yay (I guess)

basil said:

Klinker said:

STANV said:

Sigh. You are back. Yay (I guess)

I'll happily put up with four years of Klinker complaining about Biden, given the alternative.

I hope the GOP jumps in with both feet, to educate Joe Biden on the long history of racism existing at the very top of the government of the United States.

I have a Howard Zinn book they can use, if they really want to be thorough. 

PVW said:

I'll happily put up with four years of Klinker complaining about Biden, given the alternative.

I'll try to hold off until after an election but this unforced error was just too much to go unremarked. The guy has got my vote and I am beginning to think he might even get elected if he can just keep his mouth shut for the next three months.

Klinker said:

PVW said:

I'll try to hold off until after an election but this unforced error was just too much to go unremarked. The guy has got my vote and I am beginning to think he might even get elected if he can just keep his mouth shut for the next three months.

He could be a more transformational President than you think:

Franklin D. Roosevelt’s critics called him an aristocrat without a coherent theory of how to end the Depression. Ronald Reagan was dismissed as an intellectual lightweight from Hollywood. And yet Roosevelt and Reagan each ushered in an era of dominance for their preferred policies.

They did so because of their political skills — and because each was taking office during a national crisis, when a transformation of the government suddenly seemed reasonable to many Americans. If Biden wins, he may be taking office at a similar moment, in the midst of a deadly pandemic, a deep recession and a reckoning with racism.

Which means he may have an opportunity to preside over greater change — on climate policy, racial issues, health care, taxes, education and more — than any recent president. Biden’s advisers say that, over the course of the campaign, he has become increasingly attracted to that notion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/briefing/joe-biden-california-tucker-carlson-your-tuesday-briefing.html

Klinker said:

I said 100 years to exclude Wilson who was elected in 1916. His last year was 1920, 100 years ago. Perhaps I should have said 99 years.

No one was as overtly racist as Trump  

basil said:

Klinker said:

PVW said:

He could be a more transformational President than you think:

Franklin D. Roosevelt’s critics called him an aristocrat without a coherent theory of how to end the Depression. Ronald Reagan was dismissed as an intellectual lightweight from Hollywood. And yet Roosevelt and Reagan each ushered in an era of dominance for their preferred policies.

They did so because of their political skills — and because each was taking office during a national crisis, when a transformation of the government suddenly seemed reasonable to many Americans. If Biden wins, he may be taking office at a similar moment, in the midst of a deadly pandemic, a deep recession and a reckoning with racism.

Which means he may have an opportunity to preside over greater change — on climate policy, racial issues, health care, taxes, education and more — than any recent president. Biden’s advisers say that, over the course of the campaign, he has become increasingly attracted to that notion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/briefing/joe-biden-california-tucker-carlson-your-tuesday-briefing.html

Reagan took office during a national crisis? Which one was that? 

drummerboy said:

Reagan took office during a national crisis? Which one was that? 

Iran hostages?

Stagflation?

Yeah, I wouldn't put them at the same level of the Depression. I think the writer of the piece was looking for a hook, and he kind of stretched to make it.

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I wouldn't put them at the same level of the Depression. I think the writer of the piece was looking for a hook, and he kind of stretched to make it.

I am not necessarily agreeing with the quote about a national crisis. And I am definitely not a fan of Reagan. But I do think that at the time of his election, a majority of voters thought the country was heading in the wrong direction.

I don't think even @Klinker would have said what Nina Turner said in The Atlantic about Biden. She'll be happy if Trump wins.  

“It’s like saying to somebody, ‘You have a bowl of s–t in front of you, and all you’ve got to do is eat half of it instead of the whole thing.’ It’s still s–t’, ” Sanders co-chair Nina Turner told The Atlantic.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/sanders-co-chair-voting-for-biden-like-eating-half-a-bowl-of-s-t/

cramer said:

I don't think even @Klinker would have said what Nina Turner said in The Atlantic about Biden. She'll be happy if Trump wins.  

“It’s like saying to somebody, ‘You have a bowl of s–t in front of you, and all you’ve got to do is eat half of it instead of the whole thing.’ It’s still s–t’, ” Sanders co-chair Nina Turner told The Atlantic.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/sanders-co-chair-voting-for-biden-like-eating-half-a-bowl-of-s-t/

Still not thrilled about Biden but anyone and I mean LITERALLY ANYONE would be better than Trump. I'd vote for the reanimated corpse of Richard Nixon if it would get Trump out of office.

I just hope Joe can keep his mouth shut long enough to get inaugurated and that he picks a good VP.

Someone on the radio the other day was talking about how, in 2016, survey respondents who said that they hated both Trump and Clinton voted for Trump by a 2 to 1 margin.  This time around, that number is flipped in Biden's favor.

Klinker said:

Someone on the radio the other day was talking about how, in 2016, survey respondents who said that they hated both Trump and Clinton voted for Trump by a 2 to 1 margin.  This time around, that number is flipped in Biden's favor.

Even Trump doesn’t believe people hate Biden. That’s why they are now tryin to paint him as senile.

basil said:

Even Trump doesn’t believe people hate Biden. That’s why they are now tryin to paint him as senile.

Messaged you.

I was more than pleasantly surprised by today's NY Times Op-Ed by Prof. Steven Calabresi of Northwestern Law School. He is a founder of the conservative Federalist Society, a self-described life long Republican and wrote Op-Eds opposing the Mueller Investigation and opposing impeachment.

He all but called Trump a fascist for suggesting the Election be delayed and he said the House should immediately impeach Trump for it and the Senate should remove him from office.

I can't link. NY Times is always behind paywall.

STANV said:

I was more than pleasantly surprised by today's NY Times Op-Ed by Prof. Steven Calabresi of Northwestern Law School. He is a founder of the conservative Federalist Society, a self-described life long Republican and wrote Op-Eds opposing the Mueller Investigation and opposing impeachment.

He all but called Trump a fascist for suggesting the Election be delayed and he said the House should immediately impeach Trump for it and the Senate should remove him from office.

I can't link. NY Times is always behind paywall.

Screw Calabresi - he's just dumping on Trump because Trump is clearly losing and the job of packing the courts is basically complete for now. He has no integrity.

Calabresi , maybe more than any other individual, is responsible for polluting our courts with wackos. We will feel his pernicious effects for decades to come.

Screw him. Big time.

From what I read about him he is a Libertarian. When there is a threat to the Country from Fascists I will take whatever allies I can get.

I agree with Mao that "The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend". 

STANV said:

From what I read about him he is a Libertarian. When there is a threat to the Country from Fascists I will take whatever allies I can get.

The Federalist Society isn't "Libertarian", never has been.  Their lists of recommended judges are one indication.

STANV said:

Calabresi has arguably done more damage to America than Trump.

During the impeachment, he was arguing that the impeachment process was unconstitutional.

He's no friend. He's a putrid piece of ****.

STANV said:

Bass's defense:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/01/karen-bass-scientology-390077

I hope I live to see the government go after the church of Scientology.  But I have to ask, how much did anyone know about how bad they are in 2010?  

Red_Barchetta said:

I hope I live to see the government go after the church of Scientology.  But I have to ask, how much did anyone know about how bad they are in 2010?  

https://www.pulitzer.org/article/when-scientology-came-town 

STANV said:

mrincredible said:

STANV said:

Why? What does she add?

I would say that she is a younger woman of color who is more or less in the same political lane as Biden. On paper at the very least those seem like desirable characteristics to add to a ticket. I don't know if you have noticed, but Joe Biden is older, white and male.

Biden is very popular with Black voters so Harris doesn't add much there. Biden is from one coast Harris id from the other. There's a good argument that victory runs through the middle of the country. Of course she is female but so is Amy Klobouchor who has won in Red areas of her State and is still a candidate while Harris's campaign has fallen apart.

Well.

mrincredible said:

Well.

Feel free to add my many pro Kamala comments as well.

nohero said:

IF Biden winds up as the nominee,

THEN Kamala Harris is VP. 

And this as well.

I do not know the point of posting my old comment. Did't the discussion precede the Convention?

Biden made his choice. VP candidates usually do not make a difference in the votes. A friend posted a similar question to mine on face book the other day and was immediately attacked. When things calmed down a Kamala fan told her that Kamala had a strong positive effect on fundraising.

We can only speculate on what would have happened with a different VP pick. With Stacy have helped with  Georgia? Looks like Biden may have won it anyway.

If it was Beto or Castro would they have won Texas or would they have lost women?

STANV said:

Looks like Biden may have won it anyway.

Because Stacey Abrams had already put years of work into helping with Georgia. 

STANV said:

I do not know the point of posting my old comment. Did't the discussion precede the Convention?

Biden made his choice. VP candidates usually do not make a difference in the votes. A friend posted a similar question to mine on face book the other day and was immediately attacked. When things calmed down a Kamala fan told her that Kamala had a strong positive effect on fundraising.

We can only speculate on what would have happened with a different VP pick. With Stacy have helped with  Georgia? Looks like Biden may have won it anyway.

If it was Beto or Castro would they have won Texas or would they have lost women?

It was meant in good fun. I should have put a chuckle emoji on it oh oh . Truth is I followed the comment that Smedley quoted in a different thread and it led me to that page. I spotted a few posts that are funny in hindsight. 

I'm sure you could find a combination of wildly wrong comments vs eerily prescient comments from almost everyone here.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.