2018 CHS Cougars Baseball/Softball

Snow or no snow, I smell neatsfoot.

As a recovering baseball parent, I’m starting this thread for anyone involved with or interested in the team to post whatever updates, news, observations, highlights or photos they want to share during the season. I probably won’t be able to attend more than a couple of games, so if nobody responds, I’ll be the guy replacing zip ties at Underhill by moonlight to get his annual fix instead.

For a start, here’s an automatically updated varsity schedule.

DaveSchmidt said:

I will probably join you for some of the games.

DaveSchmidt said:

The link currently isn’t working, but it was just a couple of days ago. I’ll give it a few more days. If it still doesn’t work, I’ll post a different link. (The nice thing about this one was that it was dynamic, showing cancellations and rescheduled dates when they were determined.)

In related news, CHS has re-instated its freshman baseball team this year. This comes about through stellar efforts from some leaders in the SOM rec baseball program, serious buy-in from families of current freshmen and 8th graders, and the make-it-happen of the CHS Baseball Boosters, Coach Whalen & AD Larry Busichio. It should be a blast.

That’s what I love to hear. Without the freshman team, our son never would have made it into the program.

The schedules are working again. 

Here’s the JV schedule.

Here’s the freshman schedule.

The seniors of CHS 2010 who made it to the finals of the GNT at Newark Bears stadium under then Coach Busichio (assisted by Coach Becht) had Coach Fischetti as a freshman coach. Coincidence? I think not.

Wendy Lauter

Proud alum parent and supporter of all the CHS sports and activities

AccuWeather forecast for opening day, April 2: 58 degrees.

OK, so now the forecast calls for a bit of snow. It’s been that kind of spring.

Here’s a preview from NJ.com:

Columbia HS Baseball Team Boasts Solid Experience This Season

Note that one of the photos in the slide show misidentifies a player as Elliott Dix. It’s Reid Evans, a graduated senior. (Though NJ.com didn’t credit her, my wife, Sherri Schmidt, took the photos.)

NJ.com boxscore shows a 3-1 loss today to Newark Academy. I won’t be keeping track of every game — not by a long shot — but this was the opener (finally) and a matchup against former Columbia coaches Joe Fischetti and Matt Becht. Looks like an excellent start by Michael Roseman and fine relief by Ben Mintz, allowing only two hits combined.

Big 6-4 win today over Seton Hall Prep, which had beaten Millburn on Saturday.

wow! I'm impressed! My friends son is one of the SHP pitchers and I know he's really good!

Side note, CHS softball beat Westfield 8-7 after being behind 6-0.

shh said:

Side note, CHS softball beat Westfield 8-7 after being behind 6-0.

Side notes welcome.

thanks! CHS Softball plays Millburn today. 

^^^

The Carolina-Duke of Essex County. Go, Cougars.

This tweet and its replies a couple of weeks ago were funny:

https://twitter.com/cougarprincipal/status/978748844350607362?s=21

(Not linked is Ms. Aaron’s friendly mea culpa.)

OMG! Lolol!

In other news, CHS softball is now 3-0 after defeating Millburn yesterday in another nail biter of a game!!! 

Mike Lamberti also wrote about Columbia Softball. 

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/3197534778295017608/columbia-12-at-millburn-6-softball/

https://mikelamberti.wordpress.com/

thank you for adding softball to the thread title! I'm not a competent enough sports reporter to give too much info re:games but I'm just about always there supporting.

shh said:
thank you for adding softball to the thread title! I'm not a competent enough sports reporter to give too much info re:games but I'm just about always there supporting.

Apparently only two of us here lately, so marquee billing is the least I could offer. (Or there’s the cynical view that softball is just the clickbait. After all, it got Ms. Aaron some responses.)

I haven’t made it to Underhill yet, but I’m looking forward to getting out there on Saturday for what — if the forecast holds — my dad calls a bee-yoo-tee-ful day for baseball.

A highlight yesterday was Christian Pierre’s scoring from second on a sac fly. You don’t see that every day. Bases were loaded when Luke Jackson lifted the ball to deep center, just a few feet from a slam. The Nutley centerfielder leaped for a great catch before tumbling into the fence, allowing all the runners to tag (heads-up baserunning all around), and Christian easily raced in to cut the deficit to 5-4.

An inning later I left my seat to visit a couple of parents who were watching from the football bleachers behind the backstop, and my wife, who was taking photos, entered the Cougars dugout for a closer view — disruptions in the mojo that must have displeased the baseball gods, because from then on things went downhill to an 11-5 defeat. 

lol...entered the dugout??? My kid would KILL me. 

shh said:
lol...entered the dugout??? My kid would KILL me. 

Heh. Our kid graduated last year, and the players are used to her and her camera. (They also seem to like seeing themselves immortalized in pictures, so they cut her some slack.) Still, she knew better than to infringe on their space, or their patter, for very long.

CHS varsity softball beat Nutley today 10-5 in another great game! Great 4-0 start to the season. Belleville tomorrow, at Belleville. 

shh said:
CHS varsity softball beat Nutley today 10-5 in another great game! Great 4-0 start to the season. Belleville tomorrow, at Belleville. 

Revenge is best served in 40-degree weather. And a dish best crossed more than the other team does.

CHS girls beat Belleville on Wednesday, 6-4.  The lead changed 4 times.  Belleville had a good turnout to watch their team.

CHS Softball beat Newark Academy 13-1. 

Loving the camaraderie on and off the field. 

another tough loss today against Verona. Very competitive team. We saw similar results against them last year. 

https://mikelamberti.wordpress...

I know only two or so of us read this, but...

Columbia's Hudson Hassler was picked as one of NJ.COM'S top 75 sophomore softball players. Please vote! The check boxes are below all the pics and the names are in random order. You can vote multiple times until polls close May 8. 

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2018/05/njs_top_77_sophomore_softball.html

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.