101 Days Until the Olympics!!!!!

If you are an Olympic fan, there is a great event in Times Square tomorrow with Team USA. 

The Road to Rio will showcase Olympians headed to Rio, Brazil in 100 days, as well as demonstrations and opportunity to try several Olympic sports. 

Schedule is 10a-8p Wednesday in Times Square. Details here:

http://www.teamusa.org/More-Hidden-Pages/100-Days-Home.aspx

I am always super excited to watch the Olympics, but I have a really bad feeling about this one.  Between the political unrest in Brazil, the cratering economy, the incredibly lax construction standards there, the sick pollution in most open water venues, the Zika epidemic, and huge doubts as to the professionalism of the Brazilian security apparatus in the face of ISIS threats, I just can't help but be incredibly worried about these Games.

I too love the Olympics. But I'd add a note to your title. Olympics in 101 days, maybe.

Gonna be a disaster. 

(This from someone who loves the athletics but always loathes the network coverage. Add in the issues mentioned above by mfpark and it will be a sh!t show.)

they should have pulled out 18 mths ago and maybe a recent previous venue could have been readied for a repeat.

I'm hopeful they'll get it together although I think it won't be great for the athletes.  Remember the panic leading up to Sochi?

I do think they should cancel the open water events or work on alternate scenarios now.  

The IOC has failed miserably.   Given the Peking games where they knocked down a lot of houses, refused to acknowledge the Tibet's legal rights and put people in jail, from Socchi (sP?) where gay people were threatened  the Olympics mean nothing.

I love the Olympics but I'm not feeling it this summer for Rio.

All the mess with Brazil's government, the Zika Virus, water pollution problems, Brazil's crazy overspending for the World Cup and the Olympics, the doping scandal in Russia, and so on.

The IOC is totally corrupt and goads the host countries into spending billions on facilities that will rarely or never be used again.  Money better spent on domestic programs with long lasting benefits.

Love the Olympics, but, got a bad feeling about this one, with all the things mentioned above, and the recent doctor's entreaty to postpone or relocate, due to Zika :-(

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spanish-olympic-team-members-robbed-gunpoint-rio-184618288--oly.html

I still like the idea of making Greece the permanent location for the summer games and some place with consistent winter weather the permanent location for the winter games.  I know that the Olympics are all tied up with national pride, but some effort needs to be made to make sure the games remain mostly about the athletes.

Although this is a sound proposal, the IOC would never go for it.  They get the majority of their revenue from broadcasting rights and sponsorships.  Having the games in a permanent location would limit opportunities to grow these revenue streams.

The sponsors, TV networks, and IOC continue to make money while the majority of the financial risk is on the host city and country.  

tjohn said:

I still like the idea of making Greece the permanent location for the summer games and some place with consistent winter weather the permanent location for the winter games.  I know that the Olympics are all tied up with national pride, but some effort needs to be made to make sure the games remain mostly about the athletes.

Was in Brazil just recently.  When you walk around you get absolutely no dea the Olympics is coming.... Much less being hosted there next month!  No marketing, buzz, etc. even at the airports on arrival!  

The country is in such doldrums that it seems people can't wait for it to go away.  Fresh after the World Cup, there is exhaustion and frustration.  And certainly a view that there must be a lot of corruption in all the contracts.  The economy is in the pits, the govt in flux, etc.

Yikes.  The chances of this going well seem to be decreasing rapidly. I also heard something about the new rail line not being completed under FOUR DAYS before the start of the games.  Crazy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/brazil-rio-police-welcome-to-hell-tourists-olympics-a7108091.html

My prediction is:

the games will go on but many events will be canceled and many will go on with far fewer competitors than expected. 

In the months that follow the games, there will be heated discussion, controversy, editorials, OpEds and sports columns about whether asterisks should be placed next to individual results or against the entire event. And whether the value of medals in a protracted, sh!t show of an event should be given full weight of honor. 

You heard it here first.

but they won't get smart and construct a permanent, reusable site in Greece.

tjohn said:

I also think that it's possible, if not likely, that after this year's debacle, countries will no longer clamor to host the games. They'll decide the Olympic Games are not the positive money (or reputation) maker they thought they were in the past. That might drive the " permanent, reusable site in Greece."

An article from Esquire: "Rio Is So F*cked - Police to tourists: We can't protect you. Also: Superbacteria"

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a46421/rio-olympics-2016-police/?mag=esq&nlist=nl_enl_news&src=nl&date=070516

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
tjohn said:

I also think that it's possible, if not likely, that after this year's debacle, countries will no longer clamor to host the games. They'll decide the Olympic Games are not the positive money (or reputation) maker they thought they were in the past. That might drive the " permanent, reusable site in Greece."

I have an idea.  Let's make the Olympics about the athletes and not about money and national prestige.

tjohn said:
The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
tjohn said:

I have an idea.  Let's make the Olympics about the athletes and not about money and national prestige.

Good luck with that....

This will never happen until all countries refuse to bid on the Games.  The IOC is as corrupt as FIFA. They will continue to seek new host countries for the Olympics.  This is far more lucrative for the IOC and they can pass on the cost burden to the host countries. 

A permanent site is counter to the IOC business model.  Even though this would be far more sustainable and cost efficient for participating countries.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:
tjohn said:

I am pleased to say that I, along with many other people, owe Brazil an apology for these assumptions.  So far, these have been beautiful games, in gorgeous venues and nothing but a huge success.  I am enjoying immensely and really wish this had been the one I finally went to.  Rio looks absolutely amazing. Great job, Brazil!

it is pretty amazing here in Rio. It may be a bit different than past games but quite breath taking. Have yet to see mosquitos, haven't been robbed or mugged, and the food is quite nice. 

you are there?!?! So cool! Enjoy!

Here in Rio.

The rowing team is competing this first week. Based out of Princeton NJ. Women will defend the longest winning streak in sports, 10 years as world/Olympic champions. 

So far, things are pretty much under control, save some roque winds/weather that cancelled rowing two days. 

rowerg said:

Here in Rio.

The rowing team is competing this first week. Based out of Princeton NJ. Women will defend the longest winning streak in sports, 10 years as world/Olympic champions. 

So far, things are pretty much under control, save some roque winds/weather that cancelled rowing two days. 

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it too!

Enjoy being there! I went to Salt Lake in 2002, and still one of the best experiences of my life!

rowerg said:

Here in Rio.

10 years or 10 olympics?

I must say I predicted bad things too. Seems (from the network coverage) to be going well. 

Unfortunately, yet again, NBCs coverage leaves so much to be desired. 

MSNBC just cut away from fencing and Ibithaj match for bicycling  Grrrrrrr

Rowing is 11 Years now, 3 Olympic golds, 8 World Champs, and several world cups. They won a silver in Athens.

They won Saturday morning.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.